Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Are you going to start a club with all the other mid-life crisis dads in the neighborhood?

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Doubtful.  Squaw has a bike to so I'm going to get a mask and when we ride, I'll be the Lone Ranger and she'll be Tonto. 

Diomedes

That's a full dress bike with half the power.  Sure, it will work, kinda.  But you're gonna want more power almost immediately.  And all that weight...what is it, 550lbs without fuel or your fat outlaw wannabe ass??...is going to make the brakes whimper.

I really don't get what people see in these pigs.  They don't go, don't corner, don't stop half so well as something that isn't festooned with all the superfluous chrome and leather gadgets.  It's some sort of strange fantasy that I can't understand, something about going straight comfortably through open flat lands or something.  Boring.  And the styling is just terrible.  Old man with fat ass who wants to look tough on a harley but cna't afford one so he gets a yamaha...whatever.

Take the MSF course.  Get a riding jacket, gloves, and a full face helmet and wear them every time you ride.  Jeans are not going to do shtein when you go down, either.  Boots that cover your ankles are a must.  Seriously man, don't be an idiot.  Wear the right gear.

And sell that piece of crap.  Get a Sportster or a Vulcan or a Shadow or a Bonneville for Gods sake.  Something that goes and turns and stops and doesn't look like the last bike grandpa had before  he had to quit riding because he go too weak and blind.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

1st bike dude.  I know how to ride, but im def no expert.  I rode once last summer and it had been 4 or 5 years before that since I had last ridden.  So I wanted something to ride this season, maybe next, and then sell it and get something bigger. 

I'd love to have grabbed a Harley, but even 20 yr old Sportsters are gonna run me 5k+.  I paid 2500 for this one.  I also looked at a Virago 750, but the bike had no extras on it and had a shorter frame, which made it a little more cramped. I was sitting almost directly on top of the pegs and shifter.  I also looked at a couple of Shadows, 750 and 650 I think.  Both were nice, but one guy was too high on his price and the other was about the same as the V-Star but also had no extras, which means I'm spending more money to throw saddle bags, drop bar and highway pegs on it. No thanks, I'll take the one that already has all that for the same price.

And I have all the gear, took the course, etc, etc. Thanks, mom.

Diomedes

I just don't want you to hurt yourself, dear.  Or embarrass yourself.  But I guess I'll settle for the former.  Highway pegs, lol.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Dio, what bikes "fit" a person who is 6'4"? I'd like to get a Vincent (if I win the lotto), BSA, Norton, Triumph, or older (no later than 1980) BMW.

Because I'd rather die than be any kind of plegic, I'll get a helmet like this:

Rome

Sassy: I've owned every type of bike there is.

Get a Bonneville with fuel injection.  2008 and up.

Most fun I've had other than my BMW R1100R.   You're not ready for that, though.

Diomedes

Tomahawk:

BMW R 1200 GS

Rome

^  Massive boner  ^

shorebird

Ha! Dio and Sarge are reminding me of when I bought my Buick, posted pics and had to read Dio's comments burning a second hole in my ass.

I'll say this though Dio, ever since you posted pics of your BMW I've wanted one but have never seen one as nice or close to what I can afford. That thing is sweet and seemed to be something that would be easy for me to ride.  I have a friend who has a 1970 650 Triumph Bonneville. He's goes to a lot of auctions. The bike needs a right good bit of work and he said he hasn't had it running yet. I hear they're easy to work on though. I'd love to turn it into something like this...

Sgt PSN

I'll cut my Wang off before I own a BMW bike. Don't like them one bit. Within 5-7 yrs, I want to be on some sort of Touring bike. I have no desire to ride fast. If I want speed, I'll drive my stang.  I just want to cruise.

Also, that helmet farging rocks.

hbionic

No, no, it's a spike not a penis Sarge. I know, I know, you're disappointed. We all are.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: Diomedes on June 02, 2013, 11:09:15 AM
Tomahawk:

BMW R 1200 GS

Huge waste of money.

Half the money, not half the bike:
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

I spent the better part of the weekend removing a 1/4" steel 4 speed pilot bearing from the crankshaft because a pilot bearing remover from Advance Auto and a slide hammer didn't budge the motherfarger. 10 cutoff wheels, some drilling, and a pry bar later, it finally popped out. I'm sure the higher stall converter is worth it.

Diomedes

If you could explain that in Beginner Gearhead, I'd appreciate it.