2007 NFL Offseason Stuff Thread

Started by SunMo, January 02, 2007, 04:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cerevant

Sources: Vick to be suspended for 2007
QuoteTwo NFL sources said that commissioner Roger Goodell likely will announce this week or next the suspension of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick for the 2007 season.

"That's the direction it's going and has been from the time this started," one of the sources said this week.
An ad hominem fallacy consists of asserting that someone's argument is wrong and/or he is wrong to argue at all purely because of something discreditable/not-authoritative about the person or those persons cited by him rather than addressing the soundness of the argument itself.

PhillyPhanInDC

Vick's remaing co-defendants have flipped. He's on his own.
Vick to keep fighting charges
Posted: Tuesday August 14, 2007 07:36AM ET
In another troubling sign for Falcons quarterback Michael Vick, the two remaining co-defendants in his federal dogfighting case are expected to plead guilty this week as part of a deal with prosecutors, indicating they could testify against Vick. Vick, meanwhile, plans to keep fighting the charges. Vick's jury trial is still scheduled for Nov. 26, deep into the Falcons' schedule. The Falcons will have played 11 of their 16 regular-season games by then. Vick will remain free until the trial but his availability to appear on field is unclear at this point.

No escape route?
Vick's options narrowing, his career in jeopardy
Posted: Tuesday August 14, 2007 11:34AM; Updated: Tuesday August 14, 2007 11:34AM

Michael Vick is all alone now. As his remaining two co-defendants prepare to enter plea agreements later this week in their federal dogfighting case, Vick's increasing state of isolation has been underlined in the most dramatic terms.

The corporate sponsors who once lavished him with attention and income have retreated, one by one. The NFL, which had him take a very public bow as recently as April's draft, ordered him to become invisible. And the Atlanta Falcons have turned the page on the Vick era in a way that seemed almost unimaginable a few weeks ago.

Whatever is looming as the next shoe to drop in this saga -- be it a plea agreement from Vick, a league-issued suspension, or some other development -- the scenario that grows a little closer to a certainty by the day is that Vick has played his last game of football for quite some time. Perhaps ever. The Falcons, the NFL and the federal authorities seem to know it. It's as if now we're all waiting for Vick to come to the same realization, and begin facing whatever this next painful chapter in his life holds.

Vick's goal of "clearing his good name'' would appear to be the longest of long shots in the current field of potential outcomes. His choices are narrowing to the lesser of two evils. Cut the best possible deal he can still get in exchange for a guilty plea, or go to trial in a case where his three co-defendants would be prepared to testify against him. And let's not forget the potential filing of a superseding indictment by federal investigators, which could stack more dogfighting charges against Vick.

Spending a day at the Falcons team complex last week, I was struck by how no one -- either on or off the record -- seemed the slightest bit hopeful that Vick's plight would somehow improve and he would return to the team in the near future. It wasn't just talk designed to sound united on the matter of going forward with the 2007 season without Vick. It was as if the verdict was already in, but had to be left unspoken for now.

New starting quarterback Joey Harrington called Vick's case "a non-issue'' within the team and added that "obviously we all wish him well.'' Veteran tight end Alge Crumpler assured me that "We're so busy putting in plays in Coach (Bobby) Petrino's offense, I promise you no one's thinking of Michael's situation.'' And safety Lawyer Milloy, while acknowledging that the loss of Vick "stung,'' went to great length in explaining why "all things happen for a reason,'' and how the Falcons are "a team that has a plan'' with Petrino in charge.

That plan clearly doesn't include Vick. Sources within the organization told me how critical it was that Petrino brought a sense of "closure'' in regards to the Vick situation. And how the Falcons first-year coach stood before his team in late July and made it clear that No. 7 was a past tense issue that required no further explanation or expended energy.

"By design, that was a very important thing to [Petrino],'' a team source said. "And these players are completely unphased by the situation. There's no sense of 'Woe is me' around here. There hasn't been any of that with these guys.''

Crumpler told me that because of Vick's legal drama, he assumed there would be chaos and a sense of turbulence heading into camp this year. He braced for it, but it never came. The Vick distraction factor has been blunted by a team-wide move-on mentality. Maybe the Falcons figured out where things were headed with Vick even quicker than the rest of us.

"It's been all about football and this season,'' Crumpler said. "That's been it. I mean that's it. The course is right. Where we go this season is a mystery to me. But I know the course is right. There are a few great stories that unfold every year in the NFL.''

And even without their now isolated quarterback, the Falcons think they can be one of them.

"You're damn right,'' Crumpler said. "Yes we do.''
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

phattymatty

QB Eagles

SD_Eagle5

Vick's last game may very well have been a loss at the Linc vs. our backups.

PhillyGirl

Can someone explain the RICO charge and how that works?
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

PhillyPhanInDC

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

paco

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

Butchers Bill

Didn't see this posted anywhere else yet.  If it is, I still don't care.

Dogs get revenge on Vick

I believe I've passed the age of consciousness and righteous rage
I found that just surviving was a noble fight.
I once believed in causes too,
I had my pointless point of view,
And life went on no matter who was wrong or right.

Diomedes

I hope he's dumb enough to refuse a deal.  It would be delicious to watch the feds put him away for a long time.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on August 18, 2007, 10:00:07 PM
I hope he's dumb enough to refuse a deal.  It would be delicious to watch the feds put him away for a long time.

Not to mention, every gruesome detail of his crimes would come out during the trial, for the public to consume.

Feva

"Now I'm completing up the other half of that triangle" - Emmitt Smith on joining Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame

"If you have sex with a prostitute against her will, is that considered rape or shoplifting?" -- 2 Live Stews

PoopyfaceMcGee

Wait, what's going on with Vick?  I just drafted him in the 3rd round of a 12-teamer!!1

dis12

QuoteJaguars | Perkins laid off
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:36:24 -0700

Michael C. Wright, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have laid off the team's director of marketing Elizabeth Perkins because of the tough economic challenges faced by the company, according to team spokesman Dan Edwards.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
QuoteJaguars | Loft laid off
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:35:40 -0700

Michael C. Wright, of the Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars have laid off the team's executive director of ticket sales Scott Loft because of the tough economic challenges faced by the company, according to team spokesman Dan Edwards.

"tough economic challenges"?  that's a new one
C6 at the WAC

*** SPD ***

methdeez

No one goes to games or buys merch. Last year they had to permanently close off like 9,000 seats for the whole season.