Rock shows

Started by Diomedes, April 11, 2006, 10:24:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

So Kenny Chesney was at The Linc yesterday, huh?

I can't believe the photos I've seen from friends on Facebook.  Who knew, right?

Wow.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

Quote from: SD on May 20, 2013, 09:14:38 AM
Really cool moment at the MMRBQ. A Soundgarden fan named Kyle held up a sign in the front row saying "Please let me play drums or guitar for any Soundgarden song"...so Chris Cornell pulled him onstage to play "Fell on Black Days". Kyle nailed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f0BNXoLvXs

Just saw this. farging awesome.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I found out today that my favorite all-time band is reuniting for some festival shows.   Not in its entirety due to deaths, etc. but still...

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/the-replacements-reunite-for-three-riot-fest-shows-20130613

SD

yo muns did you go to Firefly? I'm done. I was a sloppy mess. I still feel like shtein. Unless TOOL plays next year I won't be making the trip back.

The crowd grew from 30k to 60-80k but they didn't double stuff like port-o-potties/vendors etc. The ATMs were out of cash by Saturday. We waited in line Friday for a half hour to park, only to be told we were in the camping line. We then butted ahead of a bunch of people to park so that we could see Public Enemy. PE was damn good. The Chili Peppers were incredible but Tom Petty was my favorite act. Thought the secondary acts were lacking big time. Last year I found 3-4 new bands to listen too, this year I found none. Didn't even stick around for Foster the People.
Heineken is crap. I wish they would have stuck with Bud. I had a blast at the brewery, the founder and owner of Dogfish was there serving drinks. Chatted with him for a bit, really cool guy. The people there were a  lot more chill.

The douchebag factor went up ten fold.

Pre-sale tickets went up $50 too, meaning they're going to charge $300 +  for 3 day passes next year.

Diomedes

I'm shocked, shocked to learn that a crowd of 75k drunk stoned people sucks to be around.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Quote from: SD on June 29, 2013, 08:58:49 AM
yo muns did you go to Firefly? I'm done. I was a sloppy mess. I still feel like shtein. Unless TOOL plays next year I won't be making the trip back.

The crowd grew from 30k to 60-80k but they didn't double stuff like port-o-potties/vendors etc. The ATMs were out of cash by Saturday. We waited in line Friday for a half hour to park, only to be told we were in the camping line. We then butted ahead of a bunch of people to park so that we could see Public Enemy. PE was damn good. The Chili Peppers were incredible but Tom Petty was my favorite act. Thought the secondary acts were lacking big time. Last year I found 3-4 new bands to listen too, this year I found none. Didn't even stick around for Foster the People.
Heineken is crap. I wish they would have stuck with Bud. I had a blast at the brewery, the founder and owner of Dogfish was there serving drinks. Chatted with him for a bit, really cool guy. The people there were a  lot more chill.

The douchebag factor went up ten fold.

Pre-sale tickets went up $50 too, meaning they're going to charge $300 +  for 3 day passes next year.

I made the awesome discovery that they had real bathooms from the racetrack open for the public at The Hub, so I did my shteinting up there. And I thought the food at the Hub was pretty good this year, though New York Pizza didn't come back which was disappointing.

It definitely wasn't as fun as last year, though for me it was more about the lineup being not as good. I could deal with the increase in people, I didn't mind that too much. But the bands just weren't as good, especially the secondary offerings as you said. Last year there were like 4-5 bands that weren't headliners that I wanted to see, this year it was pretty much only Public Enemy and MGMT. And MGMT ended up being hugely disappointing, they didn't even play "Kids". I was gonna buy presale tickets but I'm holding off to see the line up. The higher price will be worth paying if I like the line up.

Public Enemy was a shteinton of fun. Must admit I felt a little awkward holding up my fist lol. I was wiped out by the end of the night for RHCP and Petty but I had fun just sitting on a blanket groovin. I actually liked Foster the People's set...their songs were much better live than the radio versions I've heard. They turned Pumped Up Kicks into an actual rock song, it was pretty solid.

I made it over to the brewery twice but unfortunately didn't notice Sam there, because I would have loved to talk to him. I liked the selection they brought this year a little better than last. Maybe I'm just making it up but I thought there were 2 or three different beers this year from last.

I actually spent a lot of time in the arcade this year. They had a SuperChexx table top bubble hockey game, one of my childhood favorites, so me and my buddy probably played for a solid hour on that. My friends did the silent disco's and said they were a lot of fun. They give you the choice between headphones playing electronic crap, or headphones that play hip hop, so that's good to know if I wanna go next year. And on Sunday Elijah Wood apparently showed up and DJ'd the silent disco in the fairgrounds.

They're definitely gonna have to make the overall space bigger and add more food and shtein next year. They were surprisingly prepared last year for 30K people, and surprisingly under-prepared this year for the huge increase.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phattymatty

saw Dylan and Wilco last night. fun crowd. lots of smoke. music still meh.

Rome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNsrRseQG80

The Boss & Mumford & Sons doing Hungry Heart.  Well, sorta... the Mumfords are a wee bit toasty here.

SD

My sister is a big Lumineers fan so I took her last night for her birthday (she also offered to be the dd). I only know their two popular songs but they put on a great show.

Munson

Firefly expanding to 4 days, 7 stages, and 100 bands. Goddamn.

Sounds like they figured out they didn't have nearly enough space last year.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SD

Unless TOOL play which is a long shot I'm out for next year.

SD

Firefly lineup is coming out this week. They did a bunch of clues and whatnot again. Last year there was all this speculation and none of the bands guessed actually played. What's even funnier is the idiots guessing are guessing the same bands (Foo Fighters/Cage the Elephant etc.) as last year. It  was lame as farg the Lunineers and Imagine Dragonz cancelled. Unless the lineup is unreal or TOOL is playing I'm out this year. Probably gonna do a Phil's road trip instead.

SD

Great lineup, not great enough for me to go

A Great Big World
A-Trak
Aer
Airborne Toxic Event
American Authors
Amos Lee
Andrew Belle
Arctic Monkeys
Asaf Avidan
Bad Things
Band Of Horses
Basic Vacation
Bleachers
Breach The Summit
Bronze Radio Return
Cage The Elephant
Cash Cash
Chance The Rapper
Cherub
Childish Gambino
Christian Porter
City And Colour
Courrier
Courtney Barnett
Cruiser
Dan Croll
Foo Fighters
G-Eazy
Gemini Club
Geographer
Girl Talk
Goldroom
Gregory Alan Isakov
Griswolds
Grouplove
Haerts
Hey Rosetta!
High Highs
Holychild
Hunter Hunted
Imagine Dragons
Iron & Wine
Jack Johnson
Jake Bugg
John & Jacob
Johnnyswim
Kaiser Chiefs
Kodaline
Kongos
Little Comets
Little Daylight
Local Natives
Lucius
Magic Man
Martin Garrix
Mean Lady
Misterwives
Ms Mr
New Politics
New Sweden
Nonono
Outkast
Phantogram
Phosphorescent
Pigpen Theatre Co
Portugal. The Man
Pretty Lights
Rac
Royal Teeth
Saints Of Valory
Salva
San Fermin
Shakey Graves
Sir Sly
Sky Ferreira
Sleeper Agent
Sleigh Bells
Smallpools
Son Lux

Step Rockets
Stop Light Observations
Tegan And Sara
The Ceremonies
The Colourist
The Lumineers
The Mowglis
The Weeks
The White Panda
The Wild Feathers
Third Eye Blind
Tune Yards
Twenty One Pilots
Typhoon
Unlikely Candidates
Vance Joy
Vic Mensa
Walk Off The Earth
Washed Out
Weezer
White Denim
Wild Child
Wild Cub
X Ambassadors
Young The Giant
Ziggy Marley

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/entertainment/music_nightlife/Lineup-revealed-for-2014-Firefly-Music-Festival-in-Dover-De.html#vvDbwVCy9ft3yUCc.99