The Bobby Abreu Tracker Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 03, 2006, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

because he shinks like ocean water schlong when the pressure's on.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

reese125

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 14, 2006, 07:57:26 AM
hes the best player on the team

why hes under a microscope ill never understand

Utley is IMO

Geowhizzer

Utley may be some day, but he needs to become more consistent.  And I love the kid- he'll be a good one.

Right now (and for the past 6 years or so), Abreu is by far the best overall player on the team.

reese125

Quote from: jms246 on April 14, 2006, 08:01:48 AM
because he shinks like ocean water schlong when the pressure's on.

interesting

and your a poet  :yay

reese125

Quote from: Geowhizzer on April 14, 2006, 08:04:32 AM
Utley may be some day, but he needs to become more consistent.  And I love the kid- he'll be a good one.

Right now (and for the past 6 years or so), Abreu is by far the best overall player on the team.

define best?

Utley became the one player that every fan wanted to see hit in a key situation. He's everything that most of the veterans on the Phillies lack: ability, clutch performance, heart and some form of leadership

ice grillin you

abreu has four career walk offs...he cant be that bad under pressure

utley is nice but im not ready to say hes better than abreu...abreu just does so much offensively...keep in mind being the phillies best player should come with an asterik and abreu isnt a hall of famer or anything...but the scrutiny and criticism he gets is way over the top
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

he also had some nice catches in the 3rd...but lets face it, he should have been able to leap 50 feet in the air and not catch them so close to the ground. lazy bum.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 14, 2006, 08:12:25 AM

three

and for those three walkoffs, theres a number of times when all he needed to do was make contact with the ball to drive in a run and he couldn't do it.

Wingspan

Quote from: jms246 on April 14, 2006, 08:16:51 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 14, 2006, 08:12:25 AM

three

and for those three walkoffs, theres a number of times when all he needed to do was make contact with the ball to drive in a run and he couldn't do it.

keep in mind when someone is hitting .350 with RISP....that means 65% of the time he misses
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

ice grillin you

as there are with all players...some are better than abreu at it and some are worse...there is no real reason other than king going on the radio about it ad nauseum last year that anyone would be talking about it...in fact it was never ever brought up before he did that...as its not being brought up this year...its a non issue

SunMo

i've been bringing it up for years, because people can't leave it alone that he's a good player, they take it too farging far, they make him out to be Willie Mayes Jr.

reese125

There is a reason, he is harassed. Its so hard not to scrutinize someone that is consistently lazy when playing their position.  Even worse, Abreu cant see his own flaws. That would be a sign of truly great player, but its called heart

Im not questioning his skills and his batting resume, I just think that when you define somone as the BEST player, its overall. But, its everyones opinion so whatever

Geowhizzer

Quote from: reese125 on April 14, 2006, 08:22:56 AM
There is a reason, he is harassed. Its so hard not to scrutinize someone that is consistently lazy when playing their position.   Even worse, Abreu cant see his own flaws. That would be a sign of truly great player, but its called heart

Im not questioning his skills and his batting resume, I just think that when you define somone as the BEST player, its overall. But, its everyones opinion so whatever

I can remember that same argument being used on one Michael Jack Schmidt.

"He doesn't care.  He's too cool.  He doesn't play hard/dirty/etc."

Problem was that Schmidt was so damn good he made it look easy.

And NO, I am not comparing Abreu the player with Schmidt.  Schmidt was the best 3B ever to play the game.  Abreu is a really good player.

IGY, I remember reading an article last season that said that Abreu could be an outside chance at the HOF (I quickly tried to find it, but the internet being what it is, I couldn't find a year old article).  But, looking at Abreu's stats at age 31, I don't think he's even close (less than 200 career HRs, 2 seasons 30+ HR, 4 seasons 100+ RBI, 240+ SB, .303 career average, 2 All-Star appearances).  He's been a good player, perhaps even a very good player, but not a HOF player.

It's telling that, accoring to baseball-reference.com, Abreu is most similar to Brian Giles as a hitter.

ice grillin you

Im not questioning his skills and his batting resume, I just think that when you define somone as the BEST player, its overall.

but he IS the best all around player...like i said its with an asterik as the phils dont have any great players but he is the best...that doesnt mean hes willie mays...i dont know whos saying that...ive never heard it...hes a borderline all-star nothing more nothing less

if you want to say hes not the best player on the team and utley is im not gonna argue but thats irrelevant...it still doesnt warrant the scrutiny abreu gets...i could start a chase utley watch and the results are going to essentially be the same...hes going to get some big hits and hes gonna get out in some big spots

reese125

Schmidt was the best 3B ever to play the game.

Brooks Robinson was IMO, and it is highly debateable. Just dont feel like writing 3 pgs on it