I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 21, 2010, 06:44:59 PM
yeah.  i do it all the time with farg and hoyda.  those 2 words are ingrained in my vocabulary and make their way into spoken conversation sometimes. 

I don't even know what to say. You're a sad sad man.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

I was checking out the Sony/Google tv the other day.  Holy shtein, that thing is pretty awesome.  They basically added a web browser to the tv.  It's also go a bunch of usb ports so you can plug in external memory devices to view pics, video or listen to music.  It comes with a QWERTY keyboard remote control, which imo, has way too many buttons/functions crammed into such a small space.  But you can also hook up wired/wireless keyboard and mouse too which was pretty neat.  Very reasonably priced too....$1400 for a 46" and the picture quality was top notch.  Best Buy was offering 36 month no interest on any tv over $999 and I seriously thought about jumping on it but I'll wait to see if there's any bugs or glitches with it first.  Not to mention that my current tv is still working just fine. 

Zanshin

The Google TV thing is a natural progression. The networks and Hulu are shteinting all over it, though, over the ability to broadcast web-based material which is both expected and retarded.

Susquehanna Birder

Just use your ipad for your viewing, and you'll be fine.

Sgt PSN

LOL....it's got pretty good picture quality but I'll take a 46" screen over the ipad any day.....well, except for the other day when I opted to buy an ipad instead of the tv.  So, yeah. 

Munson

Looking to take advantage of the Super Bowl deals and find something in the $150 range, maybe 200+ if they allow me to pay in installments, for my bedroom. So 19 inch LCD's pretty much.

Are they all virtually the same, or does a different brand really matter? Here are a few quick examples I've found...I don't understand any of the technical crap.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B+-+19%22+Class+/+720p+/+60Hz+/+LCD+HDTV/9602913.p?id=1218129862699&skuId=9602913#BVRRWidgetID
http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-19-inch-HDTV-720p-F19BL-TV/dp/B003W4IIZU/ref=sr_1_21 tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1296628049&sr=1-21
http://www.amazon.com/Philips-19PFL3505D-F7-19-Inch-Black/dp/B003JTGMKQ/ref=sr_1_2 tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1296628049&sr=1-2

I've never even heard of "FAVI"
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Try to find something used or buy a floor model, you'll get a better TV for half the price. I saved $1000 on my flatscreen buying a floor model, 5 years later it still works as good as the day I bought it.

PoopyfaceMcGee

If your budget is that tight, I wouldn't spend money on a TV at all. Also, if you're just looking for the cheapest small TV you can buy, get exactly that.

shorebird

For xmas, I bought a 55" Vizio with all the internet apps. I love it. The picture is phenominal. It's amazing how far HD technology has come in such a short time. The Samsung my neighbor bought five years ago doesn't come close to the picture I have. Also, I can stream movies from Netflix with my wireless modem without any kind of extra box because everything is built right into the TV. It's neat with a keyboard the slides out on the romote.

Munson

Ended up going with a 22 inch LED 1080p Haier from QVC. They have the flexible payment option that amazon and other sites didn't offer without signing up for a credit card, so I was able to increase my budget to $300 and pay it off in installments.

Solid investment for the bedroom and my zombie killing needs :yay
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

I'm looking for a small TV for the kitchen.  The only caveat is I need it to have a built in tuner so I can hook in an ota antenna.    Anyone know if they even have TVs that have the tuners built in to receincve ota HD but for a TV sized 19-25 inches? 

Scratch that.  Walmart has listings of TVs that have atsc /qam tuners
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

ice grillin you

Quote from: shorebird on February 03, 2011, 06:58:54 AM
For xmas, I bought a 55" Vizio with all the internet apps. I love it. The picture is phenominal. It's amazing how far HD technology has come in such a short time. The Samsung my neighbor bought five years ago doesn't come close to the picture I have.

you mean technology advances....who knew?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

smeags

Quote from: SD on February 02, 2011, 11:00:49 AM
Try to find something used or buy a floor model, you'll get a better TV for half the price. I saved $1000 on my flatscreen buying a floor model, 5 years later it still works as good as the day I bought it.

i did the same thing but you BEST get an extended warranty because replacement bulbs can be very expensive and the floor models are on 10plus hours a day everyday.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

ice grillin you

Quote from: smeags on February 03, 2011, 12:58:00 PM
Quote from: SD on February 02, 2011, 11:00:49 AM

i did the same thing but you BEST get an extended warranty because replacement bulbs can be very expensive and the floor models are on 10plus hours a day everyday.

hes had it for five years...and didnt bulbs in tv's go out like 20 years ago with projection screen models
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous