Good Trade?

Started by SunMo, October 26, 2005, 03:21:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

i'm in a keeper league and I just made the following trade:

i give up Tony Gonzalez and my #1 next year for

Antonio Gates

a couple things, Gates is young and will be a keeper stud for years, and I am in 1st place this year, so chances are my #1 next year will be one of the last picks of the round.  and Gonzalez seems to be aging and having trouble getting open.

thoughts?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

Quote from: rjs246 on October 26, 2005, 03:24:12 PM
You got hosed.

you really think so?  or is that your passive/aggressive "i don't care, but I want to post" tact?

rjs246

No I genuinely think you got hosed.

1. Gonzo is having a bad season, but in the grand scheme of things Gates = Gonzo. Gates may help you this year, but if you're in first place, it doesn't sound like you need that much help.
2. Are you really going to keep your TE? If you keep an entire lineup, fine. But if you only get to keep a few players, keeping a TE is never a good idea I don't care how good they are.
3. You are going to be kicking yourself during the draft next year when you've got a position that is weak and you don't have a draft pick in the first round.

But hey, Gates is a stud and now you'll have him for a while.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

Quote from: rjs246 on October 26, 2005, 03:32:25 PM
No I genuinely think you got hosed.

1. Gonzo is having a bad season, but in the grand scheme of things Gates = Gonzo. Gates may help you this year, but if you're in first place, it doesn't sound like you need that much help.
2. Are you really going to keep your TE? If you keep an entire lineup, fine. But if you only get to keep a few players, keeping a TE is never a good idea I don't care how good they are.
3. You are going to be kicking yourself during the draft next year when you've got a position that is weak and you don't have a draft pick in the first round.

But hey, Gates is a stud and now you'll have him for a while.

i hear what you're saying.  but i think Gates is good enough and will be good enough in the future to warrant a keep each year.  we keep 4 players from year to year.  and you have to play a tight end, it's not like there's a WR/TE flex position.  a think Gates will continue to score on the level of some of the WR in the league for the next few years, that's why i finally pulled the trigger.

i'm in 1st place, but not by a lot, and Gonzalez hasn't earned me a single dime this entire year, so I felt I needed a change.  I also think that he might be on the downside of his career.

but you do make good points, it was a risky move, we'll see how it plays out.

Diomedes

You gave up too much I think.  Depends how many players you can hold over each year, I guess.  And I take it that you must start a TE every week?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

Quote from: Diomedes on October 26, 2005, 03:38:36 PM
You gave up too much I think.  Depends how many players you can hold over each year, I guess.  And I take it that you must start a TE every week?

yeah, 1 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 ST, 1 DEF

we keep 4 from year to year

rjs246

Quote from: Sun_Mo on October 26, 2005, 03:42:15 PM
yeah, 1 QB, 3 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 ST, 1 DEF

we keep 4 from year to year

That should be a no-brainer. 3 RBs and a QB/WR. I would never keep a TE.

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

You keep only 4 players year on year?  And you think it's a good idea to make a TE one of those?  And you're leading in this league?

Is this the retard league or something?

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SunMo

the problem is, there are 8 teams, so 28 of the top players are already gone, all the big-time RB and QB's are gone, and WR hit and miss from year to year.

my starters after this trade would be

Kerry Collins
Westbrook
Lamont Jordan
Curtis Martin
Steve Smith
Plaxico Burress
Roy Williams (or Anquan Boldin)
Gates

so if you were keeping 4 from that lineup, you wouldn't keep gates?  i would keep Westbrook, Jordan, Steve Smith, Gates

everybody else falls under that category of the 2nd or 3rd tier guy that will get you the same thing the next guy gets you

another thing to consider, we only get money for TDs and milestone yardage. 

rjs246

Quote from: Sun_Mo on October 26, 2005, 03:49:18 PM
Kerry Collins
Westbrook
Lamont Jordan
Curtis Martin
Steve Smith
Plaxico Burress
Gates

so if you were keeping 4 from that lineup, you wouldn't keep gates?  i would keep Westbrook, Jordan, Steve Smith, Gates

Frankly, I would probably keep Westbrook, Jordan, Steve Smith and either Martin or Collins. Collins hasn't been ripping it up with TDs, but with Moss and Porter and Gabriel it's only a matter of time and health. Collins is a bum but he's a good fantasy QB.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Run your team into the ground however you want. Ha.

Let them eat bootstraps.

SunMo

Quote from: rjs246 on October 26, 2005, 03:53:17 PM
Quote from: Sun_Mo on October 26, 2005, 03:49:18 PM
Kerry Collins
Westbrook
Lamont Jordan
Curtis Martin
Steve Smith
Plaxico Burress
Gates

Frankly, I would probably keep Westbrook, Jordan, Steve Smith and either Martin or Collins. Collins hasn't been ripping it up with TDs, but with Moss and Porter and Gabriel it's only a matter of time and health. Collins is a bum but he's a good fantasy QB.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Run your team into the ground however you want. Ha.

you tough love always seems to work with me

Diomedes

Looking at that team, I kinda see your point.  I woulda kept Plaxico though, and held onto that first round pick.

PhillyPhanInDC

I think you've been cheated!

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.