Commissioner's Problem.

Started by PhillyPhanInDC, September 09, 2005, 09:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhanInDC

I'm running a league at work, a big one - fourteen teams.  To make a long story short, one guy just got fired. He never put his kick in for the pot or the fees, so I could care less what happens with his team and the outcome. Our draft is obviously done already, and granted, while he sucked ass at drafting, he has a few decent guys on his team. McNabb, Ravens D, Akers to name a few. How do I handle this? Do I dissolve his team and toss the players into the FA Pool? It'll cause the schedule to have bye weeks if I drop his team  :boo. Do I leave his team just for match ups, but nothing more? Need a little advice on how to handle this....
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PoopyfaceMcGee

It's the commissioner's responsibility to keep the league as competitive as possible.

The best bet is to take over his team and put in a lineup every week.  You shouldn't be scouring the waiver wire to improve his team, but at least make sure you put in players that are actually playing, making adjustments for injured players and bye weeks.

MURP

Diomedes

You can't dissolve his team because then you'd have an odd number of teams.  So you'll either have to find a new owner, or take control over the team yourself as the commish.  If you take control, and the team wins, you'll have to have a plan in place for who gets the pot, because it shouldn't be you.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: Diomedes on September 09, 2005, 09:13:05 AM
If you take control, and the team wins, you'll have to have a plan in place for who gets the pot, because it shouldn't be you.

Simple.  2nd place gets the pot.  The owner of the defunct team didn't put in for it anyway.

Wingspan

this happened in a league i was in a few years ago.

if you want to dissolve the team here is what you do.

every team left gets 100 units for bidding on the players. and charge $2 real money per transaction.

3 day waiver period for everyone to get their bids in.

example
team A wants McNabb
team B also wants McNabb

team a bids 75 units
team b bids 60 units

team a gets mcnabb

thats pretty complex, i would just let the team go. tell the rest of the guys, the best player on it's roster at each position will start. if there is an injury, a player will be subbed in. but the dead team's record does not count, therefor will not be in the playoffs. any trades with the dead team will have to be voted on by the entire league with 100% agreement to pass.

or find another owner to sub in.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Diomedes

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 09, 2005, 09:16:14 AMSimple. 2nd place gets the pot. The owner of the defunct team didn't put in for it anyway.

That's fair and easy to communicate.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Thanks fellas. So do I set his team up with the best options for that week, or just with players that are actually playing? Just make it so it's not a push over win?
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 09, 2005, 09:30:00 AM
Thanks fellas. So do I set his team up with the best options for that week, or just with players that are actually playing? Just make it so it's not a push over win?

You should ideally set it up with the best players for each week like you would your own team.

Diomedes

Quote from: FFatPatt on September 09, 2005, 09:36:23 AM
Quote from: PhillyPhaninDC on September 09, 2005, 09:30:00 AM

You should ideally set it up with the best players for each week like you would your own team.

Yep.  But don't agonize.  If you can't decide between Keyshaun Johnson and Troy Williamson for that third WR spot, just plug one of them in and move on. 

Sgt PSN

How do you run your league in terms of playoffs?  Does every team make the playoffs or is just the top teams, say 6? 

If only the top teams make the playoffs then another option that would be available to you would be to hold a "supplemental" draft which would allow the other owners to draft players from that guy's team.  But instead of dissolving the team you would simply fill the roster with bottom of the barrel type players.  Ty Detmer would be your starting QB.   Buckhalter and Mo Clo would be the runningbacks, etc, etc.  It would result in an easy win each week for the team scheduled to play against the scrub roster but as long as each team is scheduled to play it then it would be fair for everyone. 

Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to just find another owner for that team but if that doesn't happen, then this is always an option.   

Tomahawk

You should find some other ass-hat with whom you work to take over the team.

rjs246

Take everyone's money. Disband the league. Head to Vegas. Never return.

And sleep with their wives.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.