2005 Point & Laugh At The taterskins Thread

Started by PhillyPhreak54, August 20, 2005, 09:15:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

qwert246

Quote from: methdeez on January 17, 2006, 04:32:05 PM
Quote from: FFatPatt on January 17, 2006, 04:18:12 PM
trade/cut = same impact on cap
So why does douche have 7 mill in savings on the old cap there?
His cap number is around 12 mil.  6.5 of it is in a roster bonus due 7/1 or 7/15, I can't remember.  The other half mil is probably the base salary. 
Cut him/trade him before then, there you go.
There's a lot of loose talk about him restructuring again, so who knows.  The cap number is about the same whether they cut him or keep him.  My guess is he'll still be a taterskin next year.

MURP

QuoteMichael C. Wright, of the Daily Press, reports the Washington taterskins don't have a first-round pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, but head coach Joe Gibbs said he spoke strategy with team owner Dan Snyder Monday, Jan. 16, and making a trade for a first-round pick is not out of the question.

PoopyfaceMcGee

They might be able to trade Arrington and a 2nd for a 1st.  MAYBE.

Probably not, though.

rjs246

The days of getting a first round pick for arrington are long gone, even with a 2nd rounder thrown in there.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Arrington and all their current 2006 picks for Seattle's 1st rounder, maybe.

Bigskinbauer

arrington won't get traded easily because teams would have to pick up his contract. 

On Marshall.  I would take Marshall at the price we pay him over antonio and the money he wanted anyday.  Lamar has been called our defensive MVP and our defense is not a bad defense.  Marcus Washington is our MVP in my opinion but Lamar has been extremely dominant this year for us.  Pierce is better but the price difference favors Lamar
GO TERPS

PoopyfaceMcGee

That just means Lemar's going to see dollar signs sooner, rather than later.

jeffreyjpa

I was thinking about this a couple months ago, RE: whether or not the Eagles screwed-up royally by letting Burgess walk.

If Burgess continues to produce at that level, he's a steal at that contract...but, if he suffers a career-ending injury next Summer (which isn't out of the question, given his history) and the Raiders need to take the cap-hit for that large of a salary, will people still say the Eagles screwed up? $17.5 mil with a $6 mil signing bonus would still seem like a lot of money to eat for one excellent season, IF it worked out that way.

Of course, if he puts up another year like this year on that salary, the Raiders have made an excellent signing, and the Eagles will look bad for not assuming the risk. But, until that occurs, I think the jury is still out.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: jeffreyjpa on January 17, 2006, 06:48:42 PM
I was thinking about this a couple months ago, RE: whether or not the Eagles screwed-up royally by letting Burgess walk.

If Burgess continues to produce at that level, he's a steal at that contract...but, if he suffers a career-ending injury next Summer (which isn't out of the question, given his history) and the Raiders need to take the cap-hit for that large of a salary, will people still say the Eagles screwed up? $17.5 mil with a $6 mil signing bonus would still seem like a lot of money to eat for one excellent season, IF it worked out that way.

Of course, if he puts up another year like this year on that salary, the Raiders have made an excellent signing, and the Eagles will look bad for not assuming the risk. But, until that occurs, I think the jury is still out.

You can only go off of what you've seen from a player when determining the type of contract you want to pay him.  And the info that the Eagles had was a bunch of injuries that led to a gazillion missed games.  I don't think it was ever a question of talent with Burgess.  The Eagles knew he had it otherwise I don't think they would have left him hang around for as long as he did.  But it simply came down to durability and the Eagles weren't willing to take a gamble on his durability. 

I don't care if Burgess goes on to break the NFL sack record, I still won't hold a grudge against the Eagles FO for letting him walk.  The Raiders were/still are a desperate team and need to overpay free agents to get them into that shteinhole.  The Eagles were coming off a SB/4 consecutive NFCCG/4 Division titles/5 playoff appearances.  They don't need to overpay a player dramatically to entice them to stay or play in Philly. 

jeffreyjpa

Fair points...

I wasn't really even speaking of myself, I thought it was a good move at the time, based on his injury history and what the Raiders were willing to pay him. I can't really now re-write my own opinion that the move sucked because he miraculously stayed on the field and had 16 sacks this year.

My point was more that a $6 million signing bonus isn't validated by one 16 sack season. I was speaking more of those--especially in the media--who have constantly been harping on the Eagles FO blowing the Burgess decision. Even if you're making that argument, I think it's too early until he puts up at least two healthy and productive seasons on this contract. Given his injury history, two healthy seasons is hardly a foregone conclusion.

PhillyPhreak54

Mike Wilbon to a Skins fan in his chat;

QuoteSilver Spring, Md.: Wilbon, I've been reading your chats and columns all year and I think its time you moved back to Chicago. Or at least stop covering the taterskins, whom you obviously hate. I have never seen more animous directed at a team from a hometown columnist, even if they are a transplant from the Midwest. With that said, what are our chances of picking up Randle El?

Michael Wilbon: Shut up. I picked the taterskins at the beginning of the season to go 9-7, so how much could I hate them. You sound like a whining fan who is upset his team lost and now you have to lash out like a 12-year-old. Get a life

:-D

And what the hell is "animous"?

jeffreyjpa

Gotta love a reporter opening his response with "Shut up."   :-D

Sgt PSN

Wilbon cracks me the hell up.  Hiim and Kornheiser together on PTI is pure genious.  Both very knowledgeble and entertaining. 

rjs246

Wilbon's a farging idiot, but that was pretty good stuff.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.