World (Vegas) Travel Thread

Started by hbionic, July 25, 2005, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paco

I'm not from Philly but some say I'm blunt.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: SunMo on January 12, 2012, 01:24:27 PM
the reason i seperated french quarter and downtown is because they are seperate hotel areas on priceline.  but i see what you're saying

That makes sense. You'll probably pay a littler more to stay in the FQ but I assume you'll catch a cab instead of walking so the money you save on a hotel outside the FQ will probably get spent on cab fare anyway. Just go with a hotel in the FQ. Omni was nice when I stayed there. I think it was about $120ish per night.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: paco on January 12, 2012, 02:09:22 PM
Groupon is offering a 2 night stay package for the Palms today.

Hmmmm....I get out of the military in April and I can use that Groupon in April during my drive back east. It's a sign from the baby jeezus. I should buy this and use my severance money to hit the roulette table and get rich for life.

DH

I had my bachelor party down there a few years ago - its the only place to do it. farging awesome.

If cash isn't much of an issue, stay at the Royal Sonesta on Borboun. Wrap-wround balconies looking directly onto the street...cant get much better. Plus ladies do all sorts of stuff to get up to the rooms.

If you're looking for something more affordable, depending on the weekend, prices down there arent too bad. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn a few times, Harrahs, and anorher spot I can't remember that was on Canal St - all good prices (especially when a bunch of guys are chipping in), and all right in the middle of the action.

If you're looking to get killed, stay on the outskirts of town - 5 miles or so from the city in almost any direction. I stay in Metarie during NBA All Star Weekend in 08', and probably should have been robbed more than once.

No homo, make sure you go to Cafe Du mond in the FQ. Holy shtein, drool.

PhillyPhreak54

As far as the flights go; if you're getting a non-stop fare of $200pp then I'd book it now. That's a pretty solid deal.

Which airline is it on?

Usually booking that far out isn't advisable but with the way fares are now I'd grab it.

My Houston to Philly fares average out about $365 ($258 lowest - $465 highest) on Continental.

Munson

Quote from: DH on January 12, 2012, 04:03:23 PM
I had my bachelor party down there a few years ago - its the only place to do it. farging awesome.

If cash isn't much of an issue, stay at the Royal Sonesta on Borboun. Wrap-wround balconies looking directly onto the street...cant get much better. Plus ladies do all sorts of stuff to get up to the rooms.

If you're looking for something more affordable, depending on the weekend, prices down there arent too bad. I've stayed at the Holiday Inn a few times, Harrahs, and anorher spot I can't remember that was on Canal St - all good prices (especially when a bunch of guys are chipping in), and all right in the middle of the action.

If you're looking to get killed, stay on the outskirts of town - 5 miles or so from the city in almost any direction. I stay in Metarie during NBA All Star Weekend in 08', and probably should have been robbed more than once.

Did the Harrah's in Vegas have a pool?? We stayed at Treasure Island when I went and despite the cost, it was farging worth it because it was 103 degrees every day so we just got drunk and walked down and sat in the pool every day for 6 hours
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 12, 2012, 04:26:48 PM
As far as the flights go; if you're getting a non-stop fare of $200pp then I'd book it now. That's a pretty solid deal.

Which airline is it on?

Usually booking that far out isn't advisable but with the way fares are now I'd grab it.

My Houston to Philly fares average out about $365 ($258 lowest - $465 highest) on Continental.

no, it's actually a 1 stop flight in houston.  6.5 hours = 250

non-stop is around 350
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

SunMo

Quote from: DH on January 12, 2012, 04:03:23 PM

i think we'll probably go with the moderate option on hotels.  but what are the bars like down there?  cheap?  expensive?  i'm trying to give myself a reasonable budget per day, for food, drinks, whatever.  $150-$200 cover it?
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

phattymatty

you can get a slurpee-size cup full of beer on the street for about $2. its an amazing place. i've been a bunch and it's one of the cheaper cities around to have a lot of fun.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Quote from: phattymatty on January 12, 2012, 05:06:06 PM
you can get a slurpee-size cup full of beer on the street for about $2. its an amazing place. i've been a bunch and it's one of the cheaper cities around to have a lot of fun.

You can also get a 128 ounce beer for like 70 bucks :paranoid
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

what the hell are you talking about?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: SunMo on January 12, 2012, 04:56:42 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on January 12, 2012, 04:26:48 PM

Which airline is it on?

no, it's actually a 1 stop flight in houston.  6.5 hours = 250

non-stop is around 350

a 6-1/2hr layover?

Even for $250 thats not bad - especially since you have the layover in Houston. I assume its Continental/United and thats good....and if you grab it for 250 do it. Those flights fill up fast and prices jump quick.

Munson

Quote from: Diomedes on January 12, 2012, 05:25:25 PM
what the hell are you talking about?

A couple of the bars there sell those giant hard plastic beer bottles that you usually see doubling as a piggy bank/pop corn holder holiday gift type thing. One of my drunk friends thought it would be a good idea to buy one. I wasn't complaining, he quickly learned he would never finish it and shared the beer with the rest of us.

Edit-I should have clarified that the bottles are not as big as those pop corn piggy bank bottles, but they're still huge.

Diomedes