Video game thread

Started by mussa, March 15, 2005, 05:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanshin

Got it yesterday. I like it. Improvement over last year, for sure. Haven't tried Franchise yet, which is supposed to be the biggest leap.

SunMo

i did the SI offer, which is pretty good, $49 for a 6 month subscription and the game.  the game alone costs $60 so that seems like a no brainer.
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

MDS

link me this offer you wonderful handsome gentleman from souderton
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

mussa

yeah in depth review of the new madden please. especially franchise, player progression and if you can substitute diff players in and out of diff. formations. thank you and good night
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

SunMo

Quote from: MDS on August 16, 2009, 01:09:49 PM
link me this offer you wonderful handsome gentleman from souderton

www.sitvoffer.com
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Zanshin

Quote from: mussa on August 16, 2009, 05:51:12 PM
yeah in depth review of the new madden please. especially franchise, player progression and if you can substitute diff players in and out of diff. formations. thank you and good night

Here's a good, balanced review: http://www.operationsports.com/review.php?id=495

I started up a franchise, but I only went through the preseason so far. From what I've seen, though, it's muuuuuuuuch better. I enjoy franchise mode again, and I haven't been able to say that in years.

Really, the game "feels" like the PS2 version, but with some great graphics and tweaks, which is a good thing. Even the playcalling and overall presentation reminds me of that. They've really streamlined the menus, which helps. The tackling is awesome.

More than anything, EA took out a lot of the glossy crap and really went back to basics. Gone are the stupid icons under the players and all of that stuff, and they really play down the Madden test crap. It's back to football. As far as the gameplay goes, I like it. It's slowed down juuuuust a bit, but it really helps with the running game. Takes some getting used to, though. The players on both sides of the balls play the ball better, and if you do stupid shtein, you pay the price. And the new fields they've added for receivers and QBs really change how you have to think about the game (ratings now for accuracy throwing short, mid, deep and on the run, and new catch ratings).

I think it's an improvement. I thought last year was a major jump for the 360, and this year it's definitely beyond that. I think the changes are more important this year for people who played the game a lot before, because EA "fixed" a lot of the nonsense that was dragging down the game. And I like that they've gotten rid of some of the fluff.

mussa

Just saw there will be a roster update 8/19. Vick will be on the Eagles. I'm going to have to rent this
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Zanshin

I think it's one of the few games worth buying. Especially with the improved  franchise mode, I play the hell out of it...especially with some friends online. I ended up getting it for $45 from Toys r Us, and found an old gift card that brought it down to $30. No brainer.

Good chance I'll pick up NHL 10 next month, too. NHL 09 was absolutely great...interested to see what they've done with 10. NBA 09 sort of sucked. I'm not a big basketball fan to begin with, but I only played that a couple of times before dumping it. I think that new Halo ODST comes out soon, too...and I'll probably pick that up, too. Halo 3 had great replay value online, and I think ODST is supposed to be similar that way. Bioshock 2 comes out in October, and that looks good, too. Man, too many games to buy...I might have to rent a few of those or wait until the price drops just on sheer principle.

mussa

only improvements i have heard about franchise have been ONLINE FRANCHISE. Not regular. For me its simple, I want to be able to customize players in diff. formations. I want good player progression. I'm not real big on playing online mainly, but if they improve those things I might give it a shot.

Zanshin

I haven't tried the customizing the formations, but I've seen a big improvement in the player progression/regression. Only thing I wish they'd have added (or I haven't found it yet) is the ability to manually assign a defensive player to cover a particular player within the context of a play...like a defensive hot route. They've added the ability to assign coverage on a game basis, but I haven't seen the option to assign per play. I'll have to take a better look for that.

Seabiscuit36

thats what i used to love, getting players in certain formations or plays.  Just to have your speedsters doing kickoff coverage was great on the old madden
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Mad-Lad

I can't wait to pick up the game tomorrow, download the patch on Wednesday, and trade Vick by Wednesday evening at the latest.  Maybe the Broncos will give me Dawkins back.

mussa

lol

yeah main reason i liked custom formations was i liked to set up my defense like the eagles with substitutes on certain downs. Sometimes throw Howard at DT, or bring Dawkins in the box for a blitz package. Take out a slow linebacker on 3rd and long and bring i a coverage guy etc... Or have 2 running backs in the backfield. Or put Westy in the slot in one formation. Makes it more realistic and fun that way, gives you more control.

phattymatty

game is fun as shtein but i'm definitely rusty after so many years not playing.  tried playing someone online yesterday and got destroyed.  it was funny and frustrating at the same time.

are there no achievements in the game that give you MS points?  i still have o from the game.

Zanshin

You get Achievement/Gamer points, but no MS points (which have a monetary value). I've gotten a few of them....but I'm not sure what they all are. I'm sure you could find them online.