Anyone seen a good movie lately?

Started by henchmanUK, December 09, 2004, 11:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

Quote from: MDS on March 08, 2021, 02:26:41 PM
i think those were more ensemble? not a situation where he had to do the heavy lifting.

his biggest problem is he already showed everything he has in the office. all these other characters are just doing michael scott ticks and mannerisms

fox catcher definitely isnt...its all him....stupid crazy love has big star co actors with big parts but hes the lead for sure and carries what is a not great movie

big short is def an ensemble but hes the "lead" and the best one in a movie full of great performances altho you could make a great argument for bale

in all of them he is doing excellent heavy lifting...especially big short which is a top 10 all time movie
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

you really like the big short, like a lot a lot

Quote from: Munson on March 08, 2021, 05:12:32 PM
I don't think he was bad in the Stewart movie, I think the movie just wasn't super well written. Like it was very niche and trying to make a very specific point about our politics which, I got enough enough entertainment out of because it's up my alley, but even I could tell it wasn't gonna be a super entertaining movie for people. The SuperPac line was an LOL moment for me though.

I think Carrell has just made some weird choices of movies lately tbh.

hes not *bad* hes just doesnt have the charisma to be on screen for 90 minutes and carry the movie. he can certainly lead a tv show and he can side into an ensemble co-lead situation and be very good, but as the guy it just aint there
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

devastatingly funny movie about a tragic topic...its basically impossible to do and it obviously has never been done better

the script is beyond brilliant and it has the best collection of acting performances in a movie other than jfk

yes including any of the godfathers

MDS

the sound of metal - a deeply original and fascinating story about a dude coping with deafness. great sound mixing (or sound design?) and a killer riz ahmad performance make it the price of a click on amazon. see this one. 4/5

news of the world - paul greengass and tom hanks really wanted to make a western, so they made one. youve seen it before. its fine. 2.5/5
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

MDS

tenet - gave up after 40 minutes, couldnt follow what was going on and quite simply just didnt care. cool action sequences though

pretty woman - an absurd plot/story and also super progressive anti slut shaming of a sex worker. never knew george from seinfeld tries to rape julia roberts. that was weird. anyway women in the 90s had really low standards if this is their film to like flick it to or whatever 2/5

docs
kid 90 - punky brewster goes through home movies of her YA years, talks about her giant tits and her virginity and subsequently losing it to charlie sheen. i think you need to go get checked for, like, everything. very boring otherwise 1.5/5

the last blockbuster - really fun subject matter (for me) and some good interviews but a little long and poorly edited. 2.5/5

operation varsity blues - loved this and wish it was 10x longer. its reenactments of transcripts from taped calls and talking heads with some relevant people. this story is like fyre fest, a rich icehole clusterfarg that i cannot get enough of. 4/5

SD

Quote from: MDS on March 21, 2021, 10:12:04 PM
the last blockbuster - really fun subject matter (for me) and some good interviews but a little long and poorly edited. 2.5/5

There's roughly 15 minutes of this that is good to great...when they're talking about rev share and how tape rentals started, the blockbuster douchebag ceo who laughed at Netflix's sales pitch and blockbusters downfall with no late fees. Then there's an hour of forced nostalgia, the ma last blockbuster family and over analyzation of blockbuster as some social hub that just drags. I'm sure they'll get a bump in business with the media and doc but I have no idea how they stay in business.

SD

Zach Snyder Justice League cut...it's horrible don't waste 4 hours of your life

Munson

Godzilla vs. Kong-Im a sucker for monster movies and always have been, I used to watch some of the old Godzilla movies when I was a little kid, so was really looking forward to this. The plot is convoluted and a little confusing, at least one of the human plots just felt almost completely unnecessary, and it was just overall dumb....and goddamn it was a lot of fun. This movie is the definition of of big dumb mindless fun. The CGI/effects people should win awards because it looks ridiculously awesome. My only real complaint is I would have liked more time with big monsters beating the shtein out of each other.

If you want to turn your brain off for 2 hours, and like Godzilla or Kong movie at all, this will work.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

phattymatty

agreed. perfect popcorn movie.  just bangs and noises and pretty colorful buildings being destroyed.  I actually made popcorn for the first time in years to watch it.

SD

WW84 was a disaster as was the Justice League Snyder cut

Kong/Zilla was great. I've only watched Skull island but now I want to watch the others

phattymatty

bob odenkirk is an action hero how strange

ice grillin you

minari- my first movie theater movie since covid and what a great farging movie to do it....not quite perfection but close and contains the single best performance by a child actor of all time...this kid is beyond description  - 9/10

PhillyPhreak54

I haven't watched 61* since it came out but it's on HBOMax so I put it on.

Herc and Frank Sobotka are in it

Herc plays Moose Skowron and Sobotka Bob Cerv

Rome

Quote from: MDS on March 21, 2021, 10:12:04 PM
tenet - gave up after 40 minutes, couldnt follow what was going on and quite simply just didnt care. cool action sequences though

Exactly the same.  I lasted about an hour.  Branagh played the same part in Jack Ryan.

Horrible.

SD

If you're looking for 2 1/2 hours of mindless entertainment Army of the Dead on Netflix isn't half bad.