The Rest of the NBA

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2004, 10:37:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunMo

wanna hear the best part?  Marcus Camby said he would only do if he was given an allowance to buy the clothes. 

he makes $7 million per year  :)
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

i had a nba fantasy draft last night that i forgot about...

chris kaman is my center
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

SunMo

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 19, 2005, 12:48:01 PM
i had a nba fantasy draft last night that i forgot about...

chris kaman is my center

ouch..
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

ice grillin you

What a stupid ass set of rules

its pathetic...not only are the rules assinine but why is the league imposing them...pompous ass david stern makes me sick...it should be on a team by team basis as the players are employees of the team

and why are the players policed on what they wear but mark cuban can run out on the court in a stank ass grateful dead t-shirt from the 70's
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

WEST is GOD

I love when people defy rules. I hope every player does so all-powerful Stern can do absoluely nothing about it. The majority ALWAYS wins. Stern will find out how powerless he really is.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 19, 2005, 04:15:06 PM
What a stupid ass set of rules

its pathetic...not only are the rules assinine but why is the league imposing them...pompous ass david stern makes me sick...it should be on a team by team basis as the players are employees of the team

and why are the players policed on what they wear but mark cuban can run out on the court in a stank ass grateful dead t-shirt from the 70's

Yep. But I think Cuban is supposed to adhere too. They've had him on PTI & SC tonight and he said that he's worked his butt off to not have to wear suits and he's not going to start now.

Stern is way too heavy handed on this. No baseball caps? No sunglasses indoors? No headphones?

This is all a direct effect from that IND-DET brawl. The corporate morons want the suits so Stern is chasing the cash and he's doing what his rich pals want.

And the fact that they think that making a guy wear a suit will change his image it shows how ignorant they are. What did those guys from Enron wear? Were they wearing doo-rags, throwbacks and Air Force 1's when they were bilking millions from their stockholders? What are the guys from the oil companies wearing when they ask us to take it in the ass? Yeah, they're all wearing suits.

Like AI said...if you put a suit on a murdered he's still a murderer.

PhillyGirl

Rae Carruth was a flashy dresser too.

And just wtf does the fight at the pacers/pistons game have to DO with this? I'm so farging sick of hearing that garbage.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

hunt

it's all about image.....middle aged white men & corporate america are turned off by the hip hop image so they're no longer spending their $$$ on the nba.  the pacers/pistons fight damaged the nba's image & the dress code is an effort to make things better.
it's a business.
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah, that's exactly it, Hunt. Stern is all about his sports image. But making the millionairs dress up in suits isn't going to fix it.

I just don't see how making AI wear a suit to the arena or on a bus is going to make John D. Warbucks of Villanova come off of $20,000 to sit in a luxury box. Would he say to himself, 'Well, now that AI has to wear Armani I'll cut the Sixers a check for that twenty large'?

This is stupid.

Want to fix the NBA's image? How about have a competitive league that doesn't charge out the ass to go see a goddamn game?

WEST is GOD

The NBA's image isn't even bad right now. Baseball's is a lot worse. The fight in Detroit can't be reversed. Stern has to live with the fact that it hurt the NBA and changing dress code won't repair it. Even with the fight last year the NBA's image is far from bad right now. If the ratings are bad then fix some of the dumbass rules, and widen the salary cap.

hunt

they can't change the league's image overnight...the dress code is one, small step.  i think they whiney millionaire players are making WAY too much out of it.  dress like a grown up, not a teenager...what's the big deal.

hunt

oh...and iverson (and camby too, i think) had the audacity to say that the league should give them extra money for a new wardrobe if they expect the players to follow the dress code.  comments like that make me want to take a baseball bat to their heads.
farging ridiculous. :boo

PhillyPhreak54

You're right that it isn't fixed overnight. I agree with TO on this...fix the zesty salary cap and some of the other things that directly effect the on-court product. That is what we all see. We don't see the players walking to the locker room from the bus. And so what if they wear a suit when they're on the bench and not playing. Is that really a big deal? I don't think it is. I would make them wear team apparel like a warm-up suit or something like that. That's what the NFL does.

Speaking of teenagers...that's a problem right there. They need an age limit and the little band-aid they put on it isn't helping. Make it like the NFL...you have to be out of HS 3 years before you're in the league.

Making the dudes wear dress clothes isn't going to help the pn-court product.

hunt

well, they can only address one issue at a time....maybe the next rule will be that players need to be able to pass the ball & make an outside shot before they're allowed in the league. ;D
and i think the dress code is more about overall "professionalism" than it is about what kind of clothes they have on their backs.

WEST is GOD

Exactly. I think Stern's back is against the wall and made a rash and premature decision. I think he wants an instant image repair, when like I said before the NBA's image isn't even bad. Baseball has a steroid issue that is far worse than anything the NBA could dread of dealing with right now. Steroids mock and disgrace the very foundation of the game. The integrity is shamed. A fight that happened shames those people involved and no one else. People won't suddenly expect people like Tim Duncan to get in fights because of it.

Secondly, unless the player is a big-time athlete, then no one notices them on the bench anyway. So this really only matters when you are going into the tunnels before and after the games. This doesn't affect the image at all. No one even sees the players when they arrive and leave games. No one even cares.

At this point the NFL's image might be worse than the NBA's right now. The NFL is dealing with steroids, the Vikings scandal, Randy Moss admitting he smokes pot, Tice scalping tickets, and refs getting beat up all over the place. Besides that fight at Detroit a year ago, what exactly is so bad about the NBA image right now?