Jon Stewart Tapped As Academy Awards Host

Started by Rome, January 05, 2006, 01:05:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

QuoteJon Stewart Tapped for Oscar Duty By Sarah Hall

Jon Stewart is ready to get up close and personal with Oscar.

The Daily Show fake newsman has been tapped to host the 78th     Academy Awards on March 5, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences confirmed Thursday.

"As a performer, I'm truly honored to be hosting the show," Stewart said in a statement. "Although, as an avid watcher of the Oscars, I can't help but be a little disappointed with the choice. It appears to be another sad attempt to smoke out Billy Crystal."    :-D

It will be Stewart's first encounter with the pomp and circumstance surrounding the venerable Hollywood awards ceremony, though he previously served as host of the     Grammy Awards in 2001 and 2002.

Stewart's designation as Oscar host comes after last year's host Chris Rock was not asked back and eight-time host Billy Crystal pleaded a packed schedule that would not allow him to prepare his usual schtick for the show.

Published reports claimed that negotiations were underway with Steve Martin and Whoopi Goldberg; however, nothing was ever confirmed with the Academy.

Stewart was reportedly approached shortly before Christmas and wrapped up the deal a day or two before the holiday.

The award-winning funnyman will reportedly take a week off from his Daily Show duties to prepare and will use some of the Comedy Central show's writers to assist in crafting his delivery.

Though Stewart is one of the hottest names in television, his big-screen body of work is limited, making him a somewhat unusual pick for Oscar producer Gil Cates.

Cates generally veers towards silver screen vets when it comes to selecting his host, but was swayed by his appreciation for Stewart's work on The Daily Show.

"My wife and I watch him every night," Cates said in a statement. "Jon is the epitome of a perfect host--smart, engaging, irreverent and funny."

Stewart's film experience includes screen gems such as Death to Smoochy and Big Daddy--projects that never registered on the Academy's radar, in other words.

However, in a year marked by Oscar frontrunners chock full of politically and socially charged themes, including Good Night, and Good Luck, Syriana, Brokeback Mountain and Crash, Stewart's brand of barbed humor will likely be a good fit.

Nominations for the 78th Annual Academy Awards will be announced Jan. 31 at the Samuel Goldwyn Theater in Beverly Hills

Wow - really surprising choice.

I love "The Daily Show" and the thought of him skewering Hollywood gas bags is f'n awesome.

:yay

Zanshin

He'll be good at it.  I still won't watch it, but he should be amusing.

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PoopyfaceMcGee

Good choice.  I'm sure it will be an improvement over Chris Rock, even though I didn't think he was that bad.

Rome

Rock isn't nearly as funny without being able to go "blue" in his act.

I'm not saying he needs to say "f***" every five seconds to be funny but it certainly doesn't hurt.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

General_Failure

Seems like something that doesn't really need to be pointed out, but nobody's making you read this thread.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Quote from: General_Failure on January 05, 2006, 02:48:55 PM
Seems like something that doesn't really need to be pointed out, but nobody's making you read this thread.

Or reply to it, for that matter.

;)

mussa

oh right...

but really, who the farg cares.  there its out of my system.   :flipoff
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

MDS

Should've gone to Stephen Colbert, the funnier non sellout.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.