Inky: Andrews Feels Like A Rookie Again

Started by PhillyPhreak54, September 10, 2005, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

QuoteEagles guard Andrews feels like a rookie again

Shawn Andrews was a hot prospect a year ago, before breaking a leg in the Eagles' opener.

By Shannon Ryan
INQUIRERS STAFF WRITER

Last year at this time, Shawn Andrews was an excited rookie, talking about successfully losing weight, having money in his pocket for the first time, and the plans for his mother to watch him play in his first professional NFL game.

The excitement was replaced by disappointment.

Andrews, who was the Eagles' first-round draft pick last year, fractured his right fibula in the first half of the first game of the season against the New York Giants and spent the season on injured reserve.

Monday night's season opener in Atlanta is a fresh page for the right guard out of the University of Arkansas. He said his ordeal last year has made him hungrier to play this year.

"You always have to take on a different attitude, especially missing the whole season your first year," said Andrews, an Arkansas native who is known for his upbeat attitude and constant smile. "You just have a sense of urgency about yourself. You have a higher standard. It's more intense."

The issue with Andrews, 22, has always been his weight.

Although he said he does not know exactly what his weight is now, he said he still needs to lose some.

He is listed as 6-foot-4, 340 pounds, the same numbers listed when he entered as a rookie.

After his injury, he gained some weight. Sitting around watching SpongeBob SquarePants - one of his favorite shows - and stressing about job insecurity will do that to a person.

Before the Eagles drafted him, he had dropped more than 50 pounds. Partly because of a problem with nasal polyps and because of poor eating habits, he had ballooned to more than 400 pounds at Arkansas.

He slimmed down considerably by the time he was drafted, and was in great shape last summer, earning a starting job - quite a feat for a rookie offensive lineman.

"Obviously, Shawn got prepared to play in the opener last year," offensive coordinator Brad Childress said. "We thought he, for a half, did a pretty good job. But every year is its own deal."

Andrews said that he has "gone back and forth" on his weight since last year.

He said that he feels in shape and weight will not interfere with his job.

"I'm in shape and I feel like I can play a whole game and not have any problems," he said. "I'm ready to take it full-speed."

Andrews' first job of the season will be a tough one.

Andrews is likely to line up against Falcons defensive tackle Rod Coleman, who produced 111/2 sacks last season.

"He's not one of those big defensive tackles, but he brings power," Andrews said of the 6-2, 285-pound seven-year veteran. "He brings a great deal of speed, so you have to prepare for different things."

Childress said he thinks Andrews is prepared to handle the difficult assignment.

"He won't always be covered by [Coleman], but he will be learning some things on the move," Childress said. "He certainly has the athleticism to deal with that."

Andrews may be in his second year, but he said he is treating himself as a rookie.

"I wanted to come in with the same mind-set as last year and knowing my place as a rookie," he said. "Being prompt to practices and meetings and working hard."

Andrews has been busy with some ventures other than football as well.

Andrews, who is always singing in the locker room, has been taking voice lessons. When told that teammate Terrell Owens owns a music studio, Andrews said he might need to go into business with Owens.

"I'll have to tell him what he's missing," he said.

Andrews' daughter, Jashawna, who lives in Arkansas with her mother, turned 1 in July. He keeps a picture of her in each of his five vehicles and said he looks forward to visits with her.

"She's always asking about Dada, so that makes me upbeat," Andrews said.

They can always watch his game tape together - as soon as SpongeBob is over, of course

PhillyPhreak54

As dominating as Shawn is in run blocking and moving guys out of the way, I worry about him facing Rod Coleman in pass protection.

Coleman is a stud pass rushing DT and he can disrupt the pocket.

Andrews had better be ready to get it done. I think Fraley will be helping out a lot on him. But if they blitz Hartwell up the gut or stunt then it could get dicey.

I'm not worried about Hicks facing Babineaux or Runyan facing Kearny. But Coleman vs. Andrews is a concern. And the loud dome won't help either.

Big Shawn better have his shtein together and be ready to protect.

Rome

Quote"I wanted to come in with the same mind-set as last year and knowing my place as a rookie," he said. "Being prompt to practices and meetings and working hard."

Aren't being prompt and working hard supposed to be veteran attributes as well??

???

Larry

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 10, 2005, 09:31:59 AM
As dominating as Shawn is in run blocking and moving guys out of the way, I worry about him facing Rod Coleman in pass protection.

Coleman is a stud pass rushing DT and he can disrupt the pocket.

Andrews had better be ready to get it done. I think Fraley will be helping out a lot on him. But if they blitz Hartwell up the gut or stunt then it could get dicey.

I'm not worried about Hicks facing Babineaux or Runyan facing Kearny. But Coleman vs. Andrews is a concern. And the loud dome won't help either.

Big Shawn better have his shtein together and be ready to protect.

Do what we did vs. Sapp....run right at him....and then poke him in the eye.  :-D
More Mahe please.

pinoyboy2pt0

I love Andrews (man crush).

Anyway, I forgot he was only 22!!  So awesome.

And for you scouts out there...is Coleman an agile DT?  That's the ONLY problem I have really seen from Andrews so far.  If Coleman is a juking kinda a DT...Andrews will struggle.  I would like to see his 340 vs Colemans 285 vs the run though. :)
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)

hunt

i'm hoping for big things out of andrews this season...but either he was more dominant last preseason than he has been this year or the media has been too busy with the TO garbage to even mention andrews' name.  i really haven't heard much about him this preseason.  ???
lemonade was a popular drink and it still is

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: mhunt on September 10, 2005, 12:10:04 PM
i really haven't heard much about him  ???

Whenever you're saying that about an Offensive Lineman it's a good thing.

General_Failure

or the media has been too busy with the TO garbage to even mention andrews' name.

There's a lot of things they didn't mention. Hugh sucking. Ritchie being washed up. Reno turning tricks in the front office. Simon's holdout. M Lewis saving a baby from a burning building. McNabb's shoplifting incident. And lots of other stuff, too.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: General_Failure on September 10, 2005, 12:39:52 PM
or the media has been too busy with the TO garbage to even mention andrews' name.

There's a lot of things they didn't mention. Hugh sucking. Ritchie being washed up. Reno turning tricks in the front office. Simon's holdout. M Lewis saving a baby from a burning building. McNabb's shoplifting incident. And lots of other stuff, too.

Damn that Winona Rider.  :boom

LBIggle

hopefully if he starts having problems with coleman he just hurdles his 400 lb frame at his legs.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: pinoyboy2pt0 on September 10, 2005, 11:31:50 AM

And for you scouts out there...is Coleman an agile DT?  That's the ONLY problem I have really seen from Andrews so far.  If Coleman is a juking kinda a DT...Andrews will struggle.  I would like to see his 340 vs Colemans 285 vs the run though. :)

Yeah, he's pretty agile. He gets a little help b/c Kearny plays his side too.

I worry about Shawn in pass protection if the Falcons get into heavy blitzing. That and Allen Rossum might be the only two things I'm worried about on Monday.

Stanley Kubrick

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 10, 2005, 07:30:38 PM
Quote from: pinoyboy2pt0 on September 10, 2005, 11:31:50 AM

Yeah, he's pretty agile. He gets a little help b/c Kearny plays his side too.

I worry about Shawn in pass protection if the Falcons get into heavy blitzing. That and Allen Rossum might be the only two things I'm worried about on Monday.

Those are valid concerns. I hope the Eagles give him a confidence boost shake and run right at Coleman.
TO and me drink tea