Plastic-ho and Shockey whining about Coughlin

Started by PhillyGirl, September 27, 2005, 12:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

SHOCKEY RIPS PLAX BENCHING

By DAN MARTIN

Plaxico Burress and Jeremy Shockey were both thrilled with the way Eli Manning handled himself in front of the hostile crowd in San Diego — a group that refused to forget Manning had spurned them nearly 18 months ago.

And they both feel the outcome of the 45-23 defeat could have been different had Burress not been kept off the field in the first quarter by coach Tom Coughlin for being late to team meetings.

"I understand his point, but it's really not fair," Shockey said of Coughlin's decision to bench Burress early. "It affects the whole team."

Burress scored a touchdown in the second quarter, his second as a Giant. He finished with five catches for 52 yards.

"What can you do," Shockey asked. "As players, we play. Coaches coach. But you should have your best players on the field. The whole offense suffered from him not being out there."

Burress entered the game early in the second for the Giants' third possession. He was on the sideline when the Giants stalled near the goal line on their first possession.

"I was late to a couple of meetings," Burress said. "He decided to sit me on the bench to prove a point, I guess. I tried to brush it off and keep my head in the game. I don't think it helped us on that first drive. We couldn't run a couple of plays."

Burress, a free-agent signee from the Steelers, said he learned of the move just hours before the game when he was reviewing the playbook in his hotel room.

"Sometimes things just happen," said Burress, who added that he was tardy by Coughlin's rule that dictates you need to be five minutes early to meetings.

Coughlin didn't address the situation during his press conference.

Eli Manning, who played, by far, his best game as a pro, was frustrated by the loss more than he was excited by his flashy stats. He said Burress' absence was felt.

"On third and one, he would have made a big difference," said Manning, who went 24-for-41 for 352 yards and two touchdowns. "I'm not disappointed in him. He knows what happened. He's learned from his mistakes. I don't think it will happen again."

Burress wasn't so sure.

"If it happens again, it happens," Burress said. "I don't know why I had to sit, but that's why we're called professionals."

Shockey, who made some excellent plays but let a perfectly thrown Manning pass bounce off his facemask, thought a monetary punishment would have been sufficient.

"He pretty much knows [what he did wrong] when you get fined," said Shockey, who worked out with Burress in the offseason at the University of Miami. "It might have been different on that first drive if he had been out there. It's hard having less players on the field."

The Giants' porous defense and inability to get the ball into the end zone when they had the opportunity took some of the luster off of Manning's breakout performance, but not all of it.

"We lost, that's the bottom line, but people saw what he can do," Shockey said. "You can't play in a rougher environment. He's going to be here a long time. You can expect to see that on a regular basis."

Manning admitted that he was relieved to get past the Chargers game. "It's good to put this behind us and concentrate on football," Manning said. "I play to win games. I don't care about numbers or stats. The first two games I didn't play real well and we won the game. I'll take that."

Still, if Manning turns out to be the quarterback the Giants expect him to be, they will likely point to Sunday's loss as a turning point.

"He played very well in the situation he was in," Coughlin said. "He made a lot of big plays. He displayed great composure and poise. It was obviously a step up in the progress and growth. Certainly, with his performance, he again raised the level of expectation."

"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

rjs246

Coughlin is a hard ass. I can totally understand why these two grown men are complaining about being punished for being late. I mean, it just isn't fair for their boss to make them accountable in any way for their actions. I totally feel their pain.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyGirl

Quote from: rjs246 on September 27, 2005, 12:10:48 PM
Coughlin is a hard ass. I can totally understand why these two grown men are complaining about being punished for being late. I mean, it just isn't fair for their boss to make them accountable in any way for their actions. I totally feel their pain.

:-D :-D :-D
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Tomahawk

Why was this a breakout performance for Manning? Shouldn't prerequisite for the label "breakout" being applied be that the QB actually lead his team to a victory?

Diomedes

I can't stand Coughlin.  And Shockey can suck my balls.  Plastic-ho, meh--he's a bitch. 

Glad to see them all getting along so well.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

WEST is GOD

Coughlin and Parcells both need to be put in a steel cage death match.
THIS SEASON IS OVER AND ANDY'S WORLD IS GRIDL

Offseason needs: 2 DEs, 1 DT, 1 OL, 2 LBs, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 KR.

rjs246

Quote from: Avenger on September 27, 2005, 04:04:51 PM
Coughlin and Parcells both need to be put in a steel cage death match.

Anyone that can't smote the shtein out of Parcells in a fight deserves to be force-fed their own taint.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: General_Failure on September 27, 2005, 04:14:57 PM
So Gibbs and Tuna it is then.

I predict Gibbs will be eating some Gibbs brand taint after that.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Tomahawk on September 27, 2005, 03:22:52 PM
Shouldn't prerequisite for the label "breakout" being applied be that the QB actually lead his team to a victory?

Unless the QB is Mike Vick. Then it means something else entirely.

General_Failure

Yeah, then it means 195 yards passing and 3 INTs. :yay

The man. The myth. The legend.

TexasEagle

Quote from: General_Failure on September 27, 2005, 07:11:31 PM

When did Favre enter the conversation?

Catapult

Quote from: TexasEagle on September 27, 2005, 07:44:35 PM
Quote from: General_Failure on September 27, 2005, 07:11:31 PM

When did Favre enter the conversation?

I thought he was talking about Bledsoe.
Please select your blitz package:  Zone, Darth, Mad Tiger, Train Wreck, Monster, Kitchen Sink, Jail Break, or Bench Press (new!)

TexasEagle