Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Negative (re:Ice and Fire).  I'll probably get it in a bit.  My delay probably results from anger @GRRM for taking this long for book 6.

What I've read up on, they've been making some bigger changes this year.  Two characters are spending time in a place they never go in the books [spoiler]Jaime & Bronn to Dorne[/spoiler].  Otherwise, since books 4/5 had so many tangential characters, they've had to make significant cuts.  It seems like we'll be seeing very little of Theon's family this season, whereas they are very present in the books (I think this is for the better but a lot of the book "purists" are aggravated).

Diomedes

I was aggravated reading about the Ironborn...waste of time...the fact that they've been cut from the teevee show recommends it.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

smeags

@legendz - i read the same thing about them. gonna be interesting to see how they play that twist.

i was just thinking about my geekness and how great it is these days with stuff like GOT, LOTRs/the hobbit and all the super hero movies. to think that in my younger days all i had were gil gerard playing buck rogers, a bunch aof farging ewoks and the movie excalibur (i have to admit as corny as it looks now i loved that movie). 
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Munson

If they cut the Iron Islands story line from the show completely, wouldn't that basically confirm to book readers that they read most of book 4 for nothing other than world building and it was all inconsequential to the bigger story? lol
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

It would take a pretty miraculous feat of writing to convince me that great parts of 4 and not a little of 5 weren't just Martin jerking off.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: Munson on November 06, 2014, 02:43:15 PM
If they cut the Iron Islands story line from the show completely, wouldn't that basically confirm to book readers that they read most of book 4 for nothing other than world building and it was all inconsequential to the bigger story? lol

Ill try to answer in non-spoilery terms -- Victarion/Aeron/Euron are three Greyjoy uncles in the books.  HBO's site has Euron still listed in the family tree but no Victarion and Aeron.  My guess is we end up seeing some Euron inclusion next season (season 6) just merged with Victarion into one character.

What I'm rooting for is the completely insane and improbable theory that [spoiler]Euron is Daario.  I don't expect that whatsoever but I'd love it and there is at least some evidence that it's plausible in terms of appearance/timelines/story.  It would infinitely add to my interest in both characters. [/spoiler]

Other pretty prominent book characters who seem to be cut are: [spoiler]Aegon/Connington/Arianne/Quentyn[/spoiler]

Munson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q1vt9BX4Eg

Can't wait for this. They've done an awesome job with the Walking Dead game.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

So, the game is really good if you're okay with point and click, non actiony games.

Basically terrified the entire time that I was gonna say something wrong and get someone killed.

Ramsay Snow is still a prick.

General_Failure

Should have waited a year for all the chapters. Now you've got to sit there and wait two to four months for the next part. Sucker.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

lol

I did that with the first season of Walking Dead and it was awesome. Did it the other way for season 2 and it wasn't too bad. Definitely sucked at times.

I'm gonna be busy as shtein for the nest 4.5 months anyway, so I don't even know if I'll have time to play the 2nd episode when it comes out.

smeags

re-watched last season on hbo this weekend. so damn good. this show is the GOAT imo.

you'd have to be crazy to go to a royal wedding at this point in this show cause damn. 

Munson

lol true.

Which I think is also part of the reason why what the Frey's did is such a big deal...it's unheard of to do that, to offer someone bread and salt and welcome them into your home just to slaughter them.

They better get what's coming to them at some point.

smeags

i heard kit harington saying the jon snow character will be an even bigger focal point in the upcoming season.

also thought i heard he mention there may be more episodes ??? havent looked to confirm but ... yes please. 

QB Eagles

There's only 10 episodes in Season 5. Maybe he just meant that Season 6 has already been ordered.

It seems like the big two things that are frowned upon in Westeros are violating guest right and kinslaying.

Therefore, if karma (or the gods) matters on that show, the following people probably have bad shtein coming their way:

Guest right: Walder Frey, Jaime
Kinslaying: Stannis, Tyrion, Jaime

Being the nihilist that he is, I wouldn't be shocked if Jaime was more or less immune to retribution for his trasngressions. Also, his violations aren't quite as extreme as the others. I guess the other big taboo is incest, though, and he's deep into that one.

smeags

Be interesting to see where they start. This season because there are some key events I think they did not get to.

No doubt,I'll rewatch the entire series to date when they play it before the new season starts.