Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

thats an especially bad case because its a qb who never got hit in practice and didnt even play in the nfl
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Settlement in the concussion case $765M to the 4500 or so plantiffs

hbionic

That's about $170k not including attorney fees.

I'm sure that's equitable.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

SunMo

I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

Sgt PSN

That's some farging hush money. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9612138/judge-nfl-players-settle-concussion-suit

QuoteThe settlement likely means the NFL won't have to disclose internal files about what it knew, when, about concussion-linked brain problems. Lawyers had been eager to learn, for instance, about the workings of the league's Mild Traumatic Brain Injury Committee, which was led for more than a decade by a rheumatologist.

Some shady shtein, right there. 

hbionic

Give a poor, black, broke ex-athlete one more six figure payday and he'll go away quietly.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

BigEd76

PhillyPhreak54

Pam Oliver had a "severe concussion" when she was hit in the head by the ball thrown by the Colts QB a couple weeks ago.

Maybe she should sue too?

Sgt PSN

Players were initially going for $2B from the NFL, so their "settlement" of $765M is like 38% of their original demand.  WTF?  Does the NFL have pics of these guys all banging each other in the showers or something?  The players didn't settle, looks more like they just laid down. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 01, 2013, 03:11:17 PM
Players were initially going for $2B from the NFL, so their "settlement" of $765M is like 38% of their original demand.  WTF?  Does the NFL have pics of these guys all banging each other in the showers or something?  The players didn't settle, looks more like they just laid down. 

The players were ostensibly looking for money for medical treatment, and therefore need the money now. If they continued with legal action, a number of things could happen:

- They could have been awarded $2B at some point (perhaps years in the future)
- They could have been awarded much less than $2B at some point (perhaps years in the future)
- They could have lost and received nothing (less than nothing considering the legal fees). Proving that their injuries were a result of playing in the NFL and that the NFL should be held financially liable for their injuries is not a slam dunk legal case, especially against an organization with the kinds of resources of the NFL.

Of course reps for the players will say they should have gotten much more and reps for the NFL will say "show's over, nothing to see here." The public relations battle continues. The fact remains, however, that both sides agreed on the settlement.

I think the media is more upset about the settlement than anyone else. They were looking forward to milking this scandal for years, and now the NFL can keep its internal documents under wraps, and the players won't have much of a reason to continue agitating since it won't give them any more money.

General_Failure

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 01, 2013, 03:09:18 PM
Pam Oliver had a "severe concussion" when she was hit in the head by the ball thrown by the Colts QB a couple weeks ago.

Maybe she should sue too?

Your butthurt over this is starting to rival IGY with McNabb and SD with women and solar panels.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: QB Eagles on September 01, 2013, 03:45:22 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on September 01, 2013, 03:11:17 PM

The players were ostensibly looking for money for medical treatment, and therefore need the money now. If they continued with legal action, a number of things could happen:

- They could have been awarded $2B at some point (perhaps years in the future)
- They could have been awarded much less than $2B at some point (perhaps years in the future)
- They could have lost and received nothing (less than nothing considering the legal fees). Proving that their injuries were a result of playing in the NFL and that the NFL should be held financially liable for their injuries is not a slam dunk legal case, especially against an organization with the kinds of resources of the NFL.

Of course reps for the players will say they should have gotten much more and reps for the NFL will say "show's over, nothing to see here." The public relations battle continues. The fact remains, however, that both sides agreed on the settlement.

I think the media is more upset about the settlement than anyone else. They were looking forward to milking this scandal for years, and now the NFL can keep its internal documents under wraps, and the players won't have much of a reason to continue agitating since it won't give them any more money.

I don't disagree with any of this, but at the same time, $170k isn't going to do much at all for a lot of those guys.  And I'm certain that of the 4500 players named as plaintiffs, at least 25% of them don't really rate being on there which reduces the amount given to the guys who really need it.

NFL made out like a farging bandit on this one.  And they won't even feel it in their pockets.  They'll just raise merchandise prices, broadcasting rights, etc, etc. 

QB Eagles

It actually isn't $170K per plaintiff. The guys diagnosed with serious neurological needs get up to $5M, suicide families get up to $4M. I think every other veteran gets cut a relatively small check based on how many years they were in the league.

ice grillin you

where is erin brokovich when you need her
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

Is she going to trick the NFL into drinking glasses full of scrambled brains?

The man. The myth. The legend.