Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

I haven't read anything new in months, just rereads, but when I'm finished those I'm going to check out Fifty Sheds of Grey.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Munson

Just finished "Dead of Night" by Jonathan MAAAberry. Yet another zombie book. Pretty good, if a bit cheesy at times. Though I get the feeling he tries to be cheesy on purpose sometimes.

This is the first book I've read where I was legitimately creeped out at times, though I'm not sure why. Apparently he has a scientist friend who told him that the way he starts the plague in this book could be possible in theory. Not sure how accurate that is, but that's what the nerdy guy at the book store told me.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Humble Bundle is doing an ebook bundle for the next two weeks. The point of these bundles is to pay what you want and decide which percentage goes to the authors, charity, and the Humble Bundle people.

Pirate Cinema by Corey Doctorow
Pump Six by Paolo Bacigalupi
Zoo City by Lauren Beukes
Invasion by Mercedes Lackey
Stranger Things Happen by Kelly Link
Magic for Beginners by Kelly Link

Those are the books you get for being a cheapass and paying a buck. If you pay more than the average, which is $10.21 at the moment, you also get

Signal to Noise by Neil Gaiman and Dave McKean
Old Man's War by John Scalzi

I couldn't say if most of them are any good, but Zoo City was pretty enjoyable.

ice grillin you

shake the devil off - most of you probably remember the post katrina new orleans murder where that dood dismembered his girlfriends body and cooked it on the stove and in the oven....this book gets past the immediate reaction of mocking the murderer making gruesome jokes about his crime and digs deep into why he actually did it....ptsd from fighting in kosovo and iraq....such a terrible narrative.....also focuses in on much of post katrina new orleans and how far the city done fell and the senseless and mostly allowed crime wave that overtook it...a few of yu know i was a victim of this and so for me the book really hit home and at times made me feel glad to be alive (no hyperbole)....a super easy read that i finished over two days on vacation this week...i say read it for no other reason than this upcoming eagles roadie....its super NO based
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 10, 2012, 10:20:26 PM...a few of yu know i was a victim of this and so for me the book really hit home and at times made me feel glad to be alive

you're a survivor, man, not a victim...oh...actually, you're just part of the 47%

anyway, I want to know more about how you were dismembered and cooked on a stove. 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

all body parts still intact....but your concern means a lot
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

He was a victim of a mugging, right? That's how Bruce Wayne's parents died.

phattymatty

i read a book called chronic city recently....loved it. never heard of this jonathan lethem dude but going to check out more of his stuff. i have a feeling several of you will like it, he sounds super pretentious but after a while i learned to love it.

rjs246

Just finished Fight Club. Loved it. Even having read tons of Palahniuk and even having seen the movie repeatedly I was not disappointed or bored for a second. So good. Let's go cause a little anarchy.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

SD

Quote from: rjs246 on October 11, 2012, 09:53:46 AM
Just finished Fight Club. Loved it. Even having read tons of Palahniuk and even having seen the movie repeatedly I was not disappointed or bored for a second. So good. Let's go cause a little anarchy.

The book is great.

Finished 'No Easy Day' which was the story about the Bin Laden raid. The first half of the book is about SEAL training and previous missions. The Bin Laden stuff is pretty good but if you watched the 60 minutes special with the author you get the gist of what happened.

PhillyPhanInDC

God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens. Fantastic book.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

hbionic

Quote from: PhillyPhanInDC on October 11, 2012, 10:22:18 AM
God Is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens. Fantastic book.

What is that one about? I'm curious. (Seriously) Is it completely fantasy about some dumb bitch's bad day or does it present an argument about god.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Tomahawk

General_Failure

phattymatty

just finished The Passage...it was crazy good. it's vampires but none of this Twilight bullshtein...these things are legit badasses. probably going to start the second book, The Twelve, shortly.