Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Quote from: rjs246 on April 22, 2010, 04:16:02 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on March 02, 2010, 09:22:13 PM
blah blah blah

So I immediately went out and bought Contagious, by Scott Sigler. It's about alien invasion, so, yeah. It blends science and science fiction in an intelligent and totally entertaining way (so far) and is providing exactly what I needed.

This book was farging awesome. I mean, it's ridiculous but it's all army explosion tough guy beating alien mauling mind control nuclear holocaust amazingness. Well written, completely enjoyable and the first book I've read in forever (maybe since World War Z) that got me all fired up to smash some imaginary bad guys.

I should note that this book is a sequel to a Sigler book entitled Infected. I didn't read the first one because I didn't know that it existed, but it didn't take away from the reading experience of Contagious.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

I'm half-way through this right now.

Not McEwan's best but it's not bad.

General_Failure

I have been referred a book called Feed. As I understand it, this is a political thriller with zombies. Sounds like something perfect for rjs, so I'm passing it along.

What exactly I was told about this book:
QuoteWhat's it about? It's about a world twenty years after The Rising, when 100% of the world's population was infected with Kellis-Amberlee and over 30% of them had died from it. It's about a world where the traditional news media isn't trusted as much as the people willing to risk everything to get at the truth: bloggers. It's about a world where George Romero is hailed as the saviour of mankind and children are named in his honour.
Georgia and Shaun Mason - one a Newsie (committed to fact untainted by opinion) and one an Irwin (committed to poking dead things with sticks) - are invited to cover a presidential candidate's campaign across the US.
It's a political thriller with a healthy dose of realistic technology, blogging, ratings, violence, virology, humour and, of course, zombies.

This isn't a zombie book. It's a political book with zombies and it's the best damn thing I've read all year.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Sgt PSN on April 20, 2010, 11:12:36 PM
http://theotherwesmoore.com/

this was written by a buddy of mine from high school.  comes out later this month. 

for rusty - he'll be on oprah today pimping his book.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

Sgt PSN

i know what you like.  we're soulmates bra!

rjs246

I finished War Without Death: A Year of Extreme Competition in Pro Football's NFC East last night.

It was fun to relive the 2006 season with a little bit of hindsight for perspective. There isn't really a lot of insight into the teams that rabid fans wouldn't already have gleaned by now, but there is a lot of lockerroom / front office coverage which was interesting. There was a whole lot of talk about labor negotiations and strife between NFL owners, which was sort of interesting, but got old quickly. Mostly it was great to read the author try with all of his might to offer balanced reporting of the four NFC East teams when he clearly thinks that Jerry Jones is an eccentric weirdo, Dan Snyder is a clueless bully and Wellington Mara is a God among men (he seems largely complimentary but ambivalent about Lurie).

Anyway, like I said, it was fun to read. Not great, not bad at all. Recommended for fans, of course.

Oh, and Scott Young needs to die screaming.

Let them eat bootstraps.

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

just finished columbine by dave cullen

the best true crime book ive ever read if you are into that kind of stuff...it was incredible

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

I assume you have not read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood then.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

i have and columbine is better...both are awesome tho

in cold blood is iffy as to what parts are true crime and what parts are novelistic

what makes columbine so good is the depth of which the author goes into the lives of all the people involved and the crime itself...much of the time it reads like a police investigation report...but one with personality and heart...never at any point are you questioning whether or not this happened exactly as hes telling it

Diomedes

ice grillin you

as a tru crime book it is

if youre talking about quality of writing well im sure truman capote is a better writer than a ny times newspaper columnist

but im a neanderthal and i dont care about things like sentence structure and prose

Diomedes

Hey, it's possible the book is better.  What do I know, I haven't read it.   Maybe someday I will, though I don't really care about those kids or that story at all.