Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

ice grillin you

Quote from: mpmcgraw on March 17, 2010, 06:47:01 PM
Quote from: ice grillin you on March 17, 2010, 04:09:18 PM
just finished an outstanding book called the immortal life of henrietta hicks about a dying black women in 1951 who unknowingly had a tissue sample snipped from her cervical cancer tumor by jonhs hopkins doctors...back then no human tissue cells had ever survived in a laboratory but this womens were different...they not only lived but they multiplied at an amazing rate

since then bilions of these hela cells have been used in treatments and cures of numerous diseases...the side story being that while all this happened this womens family remains piss poor and health insuranceless...its basically a real life story of modern medicine  bioethics and race relations
are you sure you didn't just watch the daily show last night and are just pretending you read the book they talked about?

nope in fact i read the last three chapters at work today...one hand turning the pages the other surfing the net...all paid for by you derelicts

daily show last night was jude law anyway

oh and if youd like i can send it to you....might do your cave dwelling ignorance some good
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

lol @ reading 3 chapters of a book at work

you live in a fantasy world that i want to live in
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

Quote from: KDS on March 17, 2010, 09:29:34 PM
lol @ reading 3 chapters of a book at work

you live in a fantasy world that i want to live in

its all to real my friend and jealousy will get you nowhere

MDS

then how do i get to be where you are

im in bville covering a high school baseball game living on diet of pasta and tacos
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

ice grillin you

General_Failure

Seriously, government office workers do very little work most days. There may be certain crunch times of the year where they're working every minute, but for the most part their quotas can be hit in two hours.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MMH

just finished an outstanding book called the immortal life of henrietta hicks about a dying black women in 1951 who unknowingly had a tissue sample snipped from her cervical cancer tumor by jonhs hopkins doctors...back then no human tissue cells had ever survived in a laboratory but this womens were different...they not only lived but they multiplied at an amazing rate

since then bilions of these hela cells have been used in treatments and cures of numerous diseases...the side story being that while all this happened this womens family remains piss poor and health insuranceless...its basically a real life story of modern medicine  bioethics and race relations

I'm gonna nerd out a bit here.  Not only were HeLa cells the first cell line ever to grow in culture, they grow like kudzu.  If you put those cells in an incubator with any other cell line, they somehow migrate and take over all the other lines, suffocate them out.

It's estimated something like 20-30% of all human cell lines are actually HeLa in disguise.  I always figured this was karmic retribution.

And this story isn't anywhere near as bad as the syphilis experiments thing.

I also am not sure what you mean by "used in treatments and cures of numerous diseases".  They are certainly one of the most studied cancer cell lines, but we haven't cured cancer yet, and you can't treat anything with cancer cells.

ice grillin you

Quote from: MMH on March 17, 2010, 11:42:04 PM

I'm gonna nerd out a bit here.  Not only were HeLa cells the first cell line ever to grow in culture, they grow like kudzu.  If you put those cells in an incubator with any other cell line, they somehow migrate and take over all the other lines, suffocate them out.

It's estimated something like 20-30% of all human cell lines are actually HeLa in disguise.  I always figured this was karmic retribution.

And this story isn't anywhere near as bad as the syphilis experiments thing.

I also am not sure what you mean by "used in treatments and cures of numerous diseases".  They are certainly one of the most studied cancer cell lines, but we haven't cured cancer yet, and you can't treat anything with cancer cells.

slow ya roll son...no one ever said this was the tuskeegee experiment...or that cancer has been cured (it hasnt right?)

hela cells have been used to study far more than cancer....for example they were used by jonas salk when he was coming up with the polio vaccine...and they have been used in over 50,000 scientific studies

read the book it far smarter than i am.....and thats what the thread is for

Rome

Quote from: General_Failure on March 17, 2010, 10:06:01 PM
Seriously, government office workers do very little work most days. There may be certain crunch times of the year where they're working every minute, but for the most part their quotas can be hit in two hours.

Not mine.

We're so understaffed right now that there's six of us doing the work of legitimately ten appraisers.  It's insane and it's going to get worse.

smeags

tolkien's silmarillion.

very good book and i hear they may try to make it into a movie.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

phattymatty

not a book but gene weingarten won the pulitzer this week.  he's usually is more of a humor-lighter side of things guy from what i can recall of him, but he won the features category for this column about parents leaving their babies in cars.  pretty intense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html?sid=ST2009030602446

Diomedes

that's some terrible shtein right there
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Quote from: smeags on March 18, 2010, 09:30:32 AM
tolkien's silmarillion.

very good book and i hear they may try to make it into a movie.

not sure if it my age when i attempted to read this book, but it was painfully hard to get through. i believe tolkien died when the book was being written and then his son picked it up years later and finished it. either way, it was cool to learn about the history of middle earth, but insanely confusing and even has a glossary of names in the back to keep track of all the damn characters and their relation to characters in the LOTR Trilogy. a bit too much for me at the time. i never finished it.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Sgt PSN

Quote from: phattymatty on April 13, 2010, 09:20:23 AM
not a book but gene weingarten won the pulitzer this week.  he's usually is more of a humor-lighter side of things guy from what i can recall of him, but he won the features category for this column about parents leaving their babies in cars.  pretty intense.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/02/27/AR2009022701549.html?sid=ST2009030602446

jesus farg man, why the hell would you post that ish?  that's got to be one of the most depressing/rage inducing/creepy things i've ever read.  not to mention that i could probably talk about that article for 3 days straight and be no less confused/sad/angry than i am right now.  then again, he probably won the pulitzer since that article taps into nearly the entire emotional spectrum.  because if you can read that whole thing without feeling a variety of emotions, then you aint human.