Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjs246

I think that's pretty lame, but am basically meh about the whole thing.

First of all, Catcher in the Rye never spoke to me in any way so I have a hard time caring. Second of all, it's silly and self-important of the old man to copywrite a character, but it would appear that it's within his rights to do it, so whatever. The world needs less people who still care about Catcher in the Rye and more people preparing for the rising of the dead.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Quote from: rjs246 on July 01, 2009, 08:49:09 PM
The world needs less people who still care about Catcher in the Rye and more people preparing for the rising of the dead.

I am so writing Zombie in the Rye when Salinger croaks.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: General_Failure on July 01, 2009, 08:53:00 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on July 01, 2009, 08:49:09 PM
The world needs less people who still care about Catcher in the Rye and more people preparing for the rising of the dead.

I am so writing Zombie in the Rye when Salinger croaks.

Technically, I think you'd have to wait an additional 70 years

General_Failure

I can't wait that long. I probably won't even outlive him in the first place.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

Catcher In The Rye is a tedious book.  That said, Salinger has every right to protect his intellectual property and that's what this amounts to.  Still, farg him anyway.

Diomedes

I don't get what he's protecting.  Does S.D. Salinger really think this guy is going to ruin his work, his income, his reputation?  What's the big deal?  So some guy might sell a few books because he's writing about a character from another book.  So what?

Maybe I'll mail a copy of it to his local public library.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: Rome on July 01, 2009, 09:05:21 PM
Catcher In The Rye is a tedious book.  That said, Salinger has every right to protect his intellectual property and that's what this amounts to.  Still, farg him anyway.

He'll be dead soon, so you win.

MadMarchHare

Quote from: Diomedes on July 01, 2009, 10:13:24 PM
I don't get what he's protecting.  Does S.D. Salinger really think this guy is going to ruin his work, his income, his reputation?  What's the big deal?  So some guy might sell a few books because he's writing about a character from another book.  So what?

Maybe I'll mail a copy of it to his local public library.

It's not like he's the first.  JK Rowling has been pulling this shtein for work a lot more venal that CitR.
Anyone but Reid.

rjs246

Later in Life Lawyers. Reduced the terrifying anxiety I feel about my plan to go back to school.
The World Without Us, by Alan Weisman. A person is smart. Humanity is a destructive, chaotic, disastrous disease upon this planet.

Let them eat bootstraps.

reese125

The World Without Us sounds like a feel good story that exudes positivity

mussa

The Road - Cormac McCarthy
Awesome. Page burner. I liked how he kept you wondering how it all went down, leaves much to the imagination. I once was a fan of the apocalypse, now I just hope I don't have a kid when it goes down. Can't wait to see the movie.

Survive!: Essential Skills and Tactics to Get You Out of Anywhere. By Les Stroud (from survivor man on tv) - good read so far. very informative.
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

rjs246

Quote from: reese125 on August 24, 2009, 10:37:08 AM
The World Without Us sounds like a feel good story that exudes positivity

Actually it was awesome. Thought exercise books where the author takes an unlikely premise and thinks out the ramifications (like WWZ) are fascinating. What's even more fascinating is seeing how humanity has become a force of nature in and of itself rather than being subject to the Earth's whims and the impact that that has had on the planet but knowing that over a long enough timeline humans will go extinct as well and the Earth will more or less start over without us.

Let them eat bootstraps.

rjs246

Quote from: rjs246 on August 19, 2008, 05:26:52 PM
And still trying to make myself finish The Hamlet, by Faulkner.

Over a year later and I finally picked this back up and finished it. Faulkner's writing is impressive in its imagery and scope, but goddamn was this a slow story.

It's basically the story of the Snopes family moving into a tiny southern town and slowly, slowly, slowly, SLOWLY manipulating everyone and everything until they own nearly all of the useful property and have married themselves into all of the money in the area. Then, when they've sucked everything and everyone dry they pack up their shtein and leave town to act as absentee landlords.

It's an impressive work, but boring. Pass.

Let them eat bootstraps.

fansince61

Just got Dan Browns "The Last Symbol".  Hope it doesn't let me down as I've liked everything else he wrote. :yay  

Sgt PSN

looking forward to reading that as well.  it's a guilty pleasure.