Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomahawk

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2009, 01:41:32 PM
what is a "remainder mark"

http://reviews.ebay.com/What-exactly-is-a-Remainder-Mark_W0QQugidZ10000000001625850

It's basically to mark the book as overstock to be sold at a discount. The mark will prevent a purchaser from being able to return it for a full price refund

ice grillin you

and its always on the top of the book like they show in that picture?....it would never be on either of the covers would it?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Tomahawk

You'd think they'd always put it on the pages as to not deface the book, but you never know. For more information, I suggest contacting LeVar Burton

Sgt PSN

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

MURP

Quote from: rjs246 on April 30, 2009, 10:18:55 AM
I appreciated Blood Meridian for what it was, but it would be the worst movie ever. There's no plot.

considering what hollywood considers "plot", that might make it the best movie ever.

Diomedes

In the Heart of the Sea, by Nathaniel Philbrick, an account of the whaleship Essex, which was rammed and sunk by a sperm whale in 1820 in the pacifiic ocean, which event was heavily mined by Melville for Moby Dick, is a fascinating, quick read.  I couldn't put it down and enjoyed every minute of it.

In addition to the riveting action at the center of the story, Philbrick manages to place that scene very adeptly in the general context of American history, describing Nantucket history customs and importance with relatively few words but great skill. 

Highly reccomended to any history buff, fan of sea writing or survival writing, and of course anyone who loves Moby Dick.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Finished The Crossing by McCarthy last night. It's the second book in the Border Trilogy. Of course it's not really a trilogy because none of the characters are the same and the stories have nothing to do with each other outside of taking place along the Mexican border, so I'm sure McCarthy is pretty embarrassed about that little slip-up. It is almost identical in tone and pace to All the Pretty Horses but not nearly as good so I won't be rushing out to grab the third one (which I think is called Cities of the Plain, but I'm not sure off the top of my head). Of course, despite being luke warm about it as a McCarthy book, when compared to books by anyone else it was quite a literary achievement.

Anyway, if you like/love/lust-after Cormac McCarthy it's a good read, but it was the least enjoyable of the McCarthy books I've read because it was so similar to All the Pretty Horses.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies is up next.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Diomedes

The central characters from The Crossing and All the Pretty Horses appear in Cities of the Plain.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

rjs246

Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

ice grillin you

just finsihed the 100 best philadelphia sports arguments....i dont think it even had an editor as there were literally dozens of typos and wrong info but its still a good read for a philly fan
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

mussa

Quote from: Diomedes on June 03, 2009, 06:56:20 AM
The central characters from The Crossing and All the Pretty Horses appear in Cities of the Plain.

And Cities of the Plain I would say is the better book of the TRILOGY

Picking up The Road next
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

I bought Worth the Wait on sunday.  I'll probably read it sometime in the next 3 years
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons