Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD_Eagle5

Agreed, even Lorenzo Booker with Tony Hunt as his lead blocker. Probably the greatest O line in the history of the NFL.

Rome

Reading "Everyman" by Philip Roth right now.  Excellent thus far.  About 1/2 through it and should be done in a couple of days.

rjs246

I didn't like Everyman. Old man whines about his life and dies. Has some anal with a model in the mean time. The end.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

Rome

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

The Plot Against America is next up for me.

I like his writing quite a bit.

General_Failure

Finished up reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson a couple days ago. It is a very good 250 page story, but that is wrapped up inside of almost 700 other pages of lecturing and jibberish words he made up. I really liked it, but I probably would have liked it more if it hadn't stopped every ten pages to start up a new lecture.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

Quote from: General_Failure on October 18, 2008, 12:37:09 AM
Finished up reading Anathem by Neal Stephenson a couple days ago. It is a very good 250 page story, but that is wrapped up inside of almost 700 other pages of lecturing and jibberish words he made up. I really liked it, but I probably would have liked it more if it hadn't stopped every ten pages to start up a new lecture.

weird i literally just two days ago started reading my first neal stephenson book, quicksilver.  pretty cool so far.

General_Failure

If you can get through the first 80 pages, Quicksilver is a good read.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Yeah so I finished David Simon's Homicide and I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Murder detective is one hell of a job, an honorable one.  I learned a bunch about the profession and a bit about Baltimore.  I usually don't care for non-fiction, or for real crime writing per se, but the connection to Baltimore and The Wire led me to it and I'm glad I read it.  A couple images stick with me from Homicide, mainly about the mentality of a murder police.  These guys are the real deal, I'm glad they're out there.  They also have a wicked sense of humor that most of us at :CF relish.

Just picked up Lush Life by Richard Price.  I hear good things about it, we'll see.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Seabiscuit36

"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

rjs246

I am reading Slash, which is Slash's autobiography. It's interesting because I heart GNR but it pretty much just reads like a series of stories about stuff that happened to him. There's no insight into anything. It's mindless and enjoyable, but probably a waste of time for anyone who doesn't care about Guns N Roses (or Velvet Revolver, I guess, but I'm not sure that anyone anywhere cares about Velvet Revolver).

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

After not liking All the Pretty Horses...and really not liking the movie No Country for Old Men. I decided to read No Country for Old Men. I enjoyed the book much more than the movie....
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

rjs246

Let them eat bootstraps.

Wingspan

I said I liked it.

All the pretty horses sucked though. Seriously...who cares about two teenagers riding through the desert doing nothing? It was like an unfunny western seinfeld episode.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.