Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

phattymatty

I've read all of the other Dan Brown books other than the Davinci Code.  And I never will just out of spite.  Just like I will never in my life watch Titanic or Armageddon.

rjs246

Keep fighting the good fight, Matt.
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Quote from: rjs246 on February 01, 2006, 05:37:28 PM
Actually, they are the exact same book. Same story formula. Same archetypal characters. Same suspense-filled plot twists. Blah blah blah. But you are a housewife.

Digital Fortress follows the same formula, too. I'm so happy to see someone that agrees with me about Dan Brown. Not happy enough to make out with you in a bar like college pseudolesbians, but still fairly happy.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Wingspan

Quote from: General_Failure on February 01, 2006, 06:18:08 PM
Quote from: rjs246 on February 01, 2006, 05:37:28 PM
Actually, they are the exact same book. Same story formula. Same archetypal characters. Same suspense-filled plot twists. Blah blah blah. But you are a housewife.

Digital Fortress follows the same formula, too. I'm so happy to see someone that agrees with me about Dan Brown. Not happy enough to make out with you in a bar like college pseudolesbians, but still fairly happy.

i was wondering about Digital Fortess. is it worth reading? i liked the popular ones enough...but my favorite of his was Deception Point...
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

General_Failure

If you like Dan Brown you'll like Digital Fortress. It's more of the same, that's pretty much all I can say about it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

phattymatty

i think it just depends on what you read first, i read deception point first and thats my favorite too.

Diomedes

Quote from: mussa on February 01, 2006, 02:47:44 PM
Just read Ghost Wars by Steve Coll.  Excellant book about CIA's ivolvement from Russian invasion in Afganhistan to September 11th.  No bias, just facts and top secret info that was released.  shocking, and stunning and idiotic on our own part.

I got this for Christmas, but haven't started it yet.  It's near the top of the pile.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

henchmanUK

Quote from: Philly_Crew on February 01, 2006, 01:05:55 PM
Quote from: Fan_Since_64 on December 31, 2005, 11:23:46 AM
Okay, last day of the year and it's time for me to update this thread with what I've been reading since summer, starting with.....

[
Stealing Jesus: How Fundamentalism Betrays Christianity, by Bruce Bawer - Okay, a real digression from the titles above! But in many ways, this was the most significant book I read all year. Bawer writes from the perspective of a liberal (excuse me, non-legalistic) Episcopalian. His impressive research is thought provoking as well as extremely informative. The book holds together well, and for those of us who are neither atheist nor doctrinaire in our concept of God, it is deeply affirming. If you don't think much of religion, you will get plenty of ammo from this book to back you up. If you are a believer but deeply disturbed by the aggressiveness and influence of the Religious Right, you will get plenty of ammo, too. If you just want to learn something about what lies behind some of the debates that have made the news in recent years, you will find this book quite helpful, too. Bawer has written something impressive and important, but your own viewpoint will determine what you take from this book.

I took your recommendation and read this book.  Definitely made me think, even as what he would call an evangelical.  You know right away that he has an agenda when he identifies himself as gay on the first page.  Also, denying the resurrection, divinity of Christ and other beliefs, it would be hard to identify him as christian.  I always enjoy different perspectives and thought his was thought provoking.

As a humanist who is pretty sceptical about religion, I'll give this a read. Had a look on Amazon and most people think it's good and thought-provoking. He's got a book coming out called: While Europe Slept: How Radical Islam Is Destroying the West from Within. Should be interesting!
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

MURP

I agree that Dan Browns books all follow the same formula, but I enjoy the formula. 

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: mussa on February 01, 2006, 02:47:44 PM
Just read Ghost Wars by Steve Coll.  Excellant book about CIA's ivolvement from Russian invasion in Afganhistan to September 11th.  No bias, just facts and top secret info that was released.  shocking, and stunning and idiotic on our own part. 

Prob start reading Slaughter House 5, I bought it awhile back.  I want to get Stephen Kings new book, Cell.  Sounds awesome. 

Mussa I just finished Cell last night. farging awesome. Everytime my cell phone rings I look at it a little differently now. Good old fashioned King.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

mussa

nice, yea the cover art is pretty rad too. 

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

PhillyPhanInDC

Quote from: mussa on February 03, 2006, 01:33:18 PM
nice, yea the cover art is pretty rad too. 

It was the first King book since Desperation that I didn't put down except while at work. Start to end was three days. Get it at Borders, it's 40% off, think I paid thirteen bucks for it.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

mussa

Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

fansince61

I have read all Dan Browns books and think they kick ass.  I am almost done with "The Last Templar" (author is Khoury I think).... it's not as good as the DaVinci Code but good.  If the Catholic Church didn't like the DaVinci Code they really won't like "The Last Templar" :paranoid