Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

Books like that are awful. It's like reading the Lifetime channel.

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

i saw capote last week and am currently reading in cold blood for the fourth time...what a great book
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

Quote from: ice grillin you on November 08, 2005, 08:06:10 AM
i saw capote last week and am currently reading in cold blood for the fourth time...what a great book

Excellent book.  But four times?  That's a little excessive, don't you think? 
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

maybe...but i love true crime and its probably the greatest of its genre
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Diomedes

It is the greatest of its genre, not least because it invented the true crime genre.

My favorite scene in the book is when Perry and Kickock are hitchhiking, singing that old gospel tune about the lord looking over them, or something like that.  Great image.  You must remember the actual song..what was it?

I refuse to watch the movie, afraid that it will supplant images from my imagination with images from someone else's.  I'm like that with movies.  If the book was good, I skip the movie.  My imagination is better than any movie.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Wingspan

Quote from: Diomedes on November 10, 2005, 04:02:53 PM
I refuse to watch the movie, afraid that it will supplant images from my imagination with images from someone else's.  I'm like that with movies.  If the book was good, I skip the movie.  My imagination is better than any movie.

while i don't refuse to watch a movie from a book. i have very low expectations of the movie. there are some occasions on where the movies do the book justice. but those are very few and far between.

however, on occasion, i do like seeing the movie first before the book, doing that gives you the idea of the book, but the added detail makes the story work better.
Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Zanshin

If you're talking about Capote, the way I understand it, that's not really a film version of In Cold Blood as much as it is about Capote and how he related to In Cold Blood.  I'm not sure how much you got beyond the book, but ther was some interesting peripheral stuff with Capote surrounding the conception of the book.  Almost as interesting as the book itself.

Diomedes

Yeah, I'm aware of the difference between the current movie Capote and the film version of In Cold Blood.  I'm looking forward to seeing the former, but I will probably never see the latter.

stillupfront

1/9/06

Very proud sponsor of DarWIN Walker BSSE

Proud to be sponsored by HBionic

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

satoshi

'Carrie' by Stephen King. What a book!

PhillyPhreak54

Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

Excellent.

DutchBird

I do not know if already suggetsed, but the "Great men of Rome" series by Colleen McCullough.

It is a series of 6 books, roughly 900 - 1000 pages each, which describes the life of Caesar, and hence the fall of the Republic. Roughly halfway the first book Julius Caesar is born, and roughly halfway the 6th book he dies. The timeframe of the book roughly stretches from 120 BC to 40 BC IIRC.

Many of the more famous Romans in history do occur in Gaius Marius, Sulla, Pompey the Great, Julius Caesar (of course), Marcus Tullius Cicero, Gaius Junius Brutus, Marcus Antonius and a few minor characters. As well as a few of the women involved in their lives. Events that occur are, of course, Julius Caesar in Gaul, during the Civil War, Julius and Cleopatra, Julius and the pirates, Julius in Asia Minor (the famous "veni, vidi, vici": I came, I saw, I conquered).

As far as I can tell it gives a fairly accurate description of life in the upper classes of Roman society of the period. So far I have not encountered gross historical errors. 

The titles are: The first man of Rome, The grass crown, Fortune's favorites, Caesar's women/i], Caesar and The October horse.

Another good one: James Clavell's Shogun. Which portrays Japan between roughly 1590-1600. Many of the characters can be traced to historical figures.
You have New York, we have Amsterdam
Just 15,000 Dutch beat out 90,000 Americans

With Timmy, one of three things is going to happen. Somebody is going to get hurt - it's either going to be him, an opponent, or one of our players.

Diomedes

Just finished George Eliot's Middlemarch.

Now I'm reading John Perkins' Confessions of an Economic Hitman.

PhillyPhreak54

For those of you who enjoy police/detective series like John Sandford's Prey novels I would recommend Archer Mayor's Joe Gunther series. I am in the 3rd book of that series and they're pretty good.

I also picked up Grisham's The Broker but haven't started it yet.