Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyGirl

Quote from: NB on June 28, 2004, 08:23:01 PM
Quote from: MURP on June 28, 2004, 08:07:54 PM
yeah NB i've read some since Dark Rivers of the Heart.

IMO:
Icebound- sucked
Darkfall- ok
False Memory- awesome
Seize the Night- pretty good
The Eyes of Darkness- sucked

I could have told you all that. ;)  So you read Seize the Night huh?  That is part 2 of a 3 book series, and it would have helped if you read part one, but no biggie, atleast you thought it was pretty good.

If you ever read one again, try Midnight or Intensity.

We have both. I went a little Koontz crazy on Ebay. got like 10 books for a total of 5.00. lol
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

MURP

Quote from: NB on June 28, 2004, 08:23:01 PM
Quote from: MURP on June 28, 2004, 08:07:54 PM
yeah NB i've read some since Dark Rivers of the Heart.

IMO:
Icebound- sucked
Darkfall- ok
False Memory- awesome
Seize the Night- pretty good
The Eyes of Darkness- sucked

I could have told you all that. ;)  So you read Seize the Night huh?  That is part 2 of a 3 book series, and it would have helped if you read part one, but no biggie, atleast you thought it was pretty good.

If you ever read one again, try Midnight or Intensity.

well then just tell me about all of em so i dont have to read em!!  :D    yeah i realized that Seize the night was book 2 after i was done reading it.. doh!  the book made sense by itself anyway which was good.   I def want some plot twists in the books.  Some of the ones I read were too predictable.  Is Midnight or Intensity predictable at all?

General_Failure

Quote from: Diomedes on June 28, 2004, 08:15:38 PM
anyone here a William Gibson fan?

I'm still at the beginning of Neuromancer, so I haven't formed an opinion of his bookwork yet. I did enjoy Johny Mnemonic though. Once I'm done my reading list I may take a look at his Alien 3 script.

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

I just bought False Memory...all the hype PG gave it was too much to resist. As soon as I'm done with 1984, I'll read that one.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

PhillyGirl

Quote from: hbionic on July 07, 2004, 04:30:37 PM
I just bought False Memory...all the hype PG gave it was too much to resist. As soon as I'm done with 1984, I'll read that one.

Both MURP and me gave it the hype. That book actually scared me to a point where I needed to put it down for a few minutes...LOL. It also farged with my dreams.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

joneszilla

Quote from: PhillyGirl on July 08, 2004, 08:38:27 AM
Quote from: hbionic on July 07, 2004, 04:30:37 PM

Both MURP and me gave it the hype. That book actually scared me to a point where I needed to put it down for a few minutes...LOL. It also farged with my dreams.

I read False Memory as well.  you won't be disappointed.  It is definitely one of Koontz's best.

Right now i am reading Bernard Cornwell - 'Enemy of God'.  It's the second book in a series which revolves around the Legend of Camelot.  It's excellent thus far.  I recommend all his books, especially the Quest For the Grail series.  His books mix in a ton of historical facts with some excellent fiction to make the story go.  

General_Failure

I just finished up two books. Neuromancer by Williams Gibson and Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson. I'm pretty sure both can be classified as cyberpunk.  I liked them both, but I enjoyed Snow Crash more. I thought they both ended a little too abruptly.

Snow Crash is a little odd for me to describe, so I'll just take a quote off the back cover.

QuoteIn reality, Hiro Protagonist delivers pizza for Uncle Enzo's CosaNostra Pizza, Inc,. but in the Metaverse he's a warrior prince. Plunging headlong into the enigma of a new computer virus that's striking down hackers everywhere, he races along the neon-lit streets on a search-and-destroy mission for the shadowy virtual villain threatening to bring about the infocalypse. Snow Crash is a mind-altering romp through a future America so bizarre, so outrageous...you'll recognize it immediately.

Didn't really care for the part where the 15 year old sidekick had sex with the much older villain, but it wasn't that descriptive and moved the story along.

The man. The myth. The legend.

thrillhouse

I liked "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown. Its a  murder mystery with a huge scandal.  It says that the book is based on true events, but Im not sure about that.

satoshi

Its pretty impressive a lot of you guys read books. I like people who read books. :yay

The Great Gatsby is waiting for me for 4 months....

henchmanUK

Am reading Marketing Your Dreams, the Pat Williams book on Bill Veeck. It's a bit syrupy and over-sentimental at times, but still a lot of fun on the Tube going to/from work. Oh, and Pat Williams BLEEDS EAGLE GREEN too. I might have to start rooting for the Orlando Magic again (they were the first American pro sports team I ever saw) now they have Jameer Nelson!
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

Purple_Hayz

Didn't see it mentioned in here anywhere so I figured I'd give a shout out to The Proving Ground by Lars Andersen.  It's an interesting read, especially for anyone who was a fan of the short-lived Las Vegas Outlaws of the XFL.

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I cut myself

henchmanUK

Quote from: Purple_Hayz on July 16, 2004, 12:01:16 PM
Didn't see it mentioned in here anywhere so I figured I'd give a shout out to The Proving Ground by Lars Andersen.  It's an interesting read, especially for anyone who was a fan of the short-lived Las Vegas Outlaws of the XFL.

This is the book about the Scottish Claymores of NFL Europe, rather than Las Vegas Outlaws. PH, don't believe everything you read. I'd take a lot of the stuff in there with a very large pinch of salt.
"The drunkenness, the violence, the nihilism: the Eagles should really be an English football team, not an American one." - Financial Times, London

PhillyGirl

I'm reading a pretty cool book right now called "Lovely Bones". Its a story told through the eyes of a 14 year old girl who was murdered and is now in "her heaven". She sees her family grieve and fall apart, friends move on and grow up without her and the murderer try to cover his tracks. Some pretty gory shtein, but a really great perspective.

Kind of reminds me of the Showtime series, "Dead Like Me" only in the show, there is no murderer...just a toilet seat. LOL

Purple_Hayz

Quote from: henchmanUK on July 16, 2004, 12:16:41 PM
Quote from: Purple_Hayz on July 16, 2004, 12:01:16 PM

This is the book about the Scottish Claymores of NFL Europe, rather than Las Vegas Outlaws. PH, don't believe everything you read. I'd take a lot of the stuff in there with a very large pinch of salt.
Yes but most of the characters in the book end up in the XFL.  Given that "gentleman Jim" coached the Outlaws and brought quite a few Claymores with him (and others, like Crandell, couldn't wait to play against him) I thought it was relevant.

Also, I take everything I read with a few grains of salt-most reporters these days don't let the facts get in the way of a good meme or story and I see no reason to except sports journalism from that maxim.  I'm still curious as to what you found to be distorted or untrue in the book though. :)

I don't want anybody else
When I think about you I cut myself