Anybody read a good book lately?

Started by MURP, March 16, 2002, 12:34:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

I started "Choke" by Chuck Palahniuk last week.

Interesting read so far, reminds me alot of Fight Club, which the auther also wrote.

Anyone else read this?
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

RomeyRome

Isn't that the book about HBs mom?  Something about polls, chugging, fists, and choking?

SD_Eagle5

I'm a huge fan of Kurt Vonnegut, to me, he's the greatest writer of our time.

Anyways, here's a little Vonnegut titled Cold Turkey that I ran across the other day...enjoy.

mussa

Quote from: SD_Eagle on June 28, 2004, 05:10:12 PM

Anyways, here's a little Vonnegut titled Cold Turkey that I ran across the other day...enjoy.

Voonegut is great, I read a few of his last year.  I need to pick some of his up again.

"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Mad-Lad

I have a tendency to pick up a book, read a third of it, set it down and forget about it.

the last couple i've tried and failed are:

Naked - David Sedaris (short stories)
Neuromancer - William Gibson

mussa

Quote from: SD_Eagle on June 28, 2004, 05:10:12 PM

wow, good read.  thanks

RomeyRome

Cold Turkey can be summed up with a lot of  :'( and some  >:(, with plenty of questions, accustations (plenty of which I AGREE with mind you) and little to no answers.  Poor guy seems tortured.

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: NB on June 28, 2004, 06:03:53 PM
Cold Turkey can be summed up with a lot of  :'( and some  >:(, with plenty of questions, accustations (plenty of which I AGREE with mind you) and little to no answers.  Poor guy seems tortured.

Read the Bio on his official site. It gives you a little insight on his life and helps you understand why he thinks the way he does.

Fan_Since_64

I recently read Time Enough for Love, by Robert Heinlein. While I grew up reading a lot of sci-fi, I had gotten away from fiction of any variety as an adult, but like to read a good novel or collection of short stories from time to time. A number of people I've known over the years - typically conservative-leaning libertarians - raved about Heinlein and urged me to read his stuff. So, awhile back, I went out and bought Stranger in a Strange Land, Friday, and this book. I read the first, which is something of a cult classic, a few years ago and liked it, although I wasn't moved to become a Heinlein cultist as a result. Time Enough for Love is more imaginative, IMO, and I stuck with it because I was curious to see how it would all end up. However, while I do appreciate Heinlein's imaginative approach to sci-fi storytelling, I find his blatant editorializing to be more than a bit much at times. The man, who has been deceased for awhile now, definitely had way too high of an opinion of himself, and went unnecessarily far in blatantly inserting his opinions on politics, society, religion, etc. into his stories. Granted, he isn't quite in the same league with that rampant polemicist Ayn Rand, but only because he was a better writer. There were times when I was ready to throw the book at the wall and shout "you are so full of it, you arrogant prick!", which for me is a mighty rare reading experience!  ;) But I did indeed become so engaged in the action that I finished it, so I guess somewhere Heinlein is smiling and saying "Too bad, I win", and if a writer's job is to not only be creative but contentious as well, then he did his job.

General_Failure

I finally finished all the Douglas Adams books. I had already read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, so this past month it was The Resteraunt at the End of the Universe (didn't expect it to be that end at all), Life, the Universe, and Everything,  So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, and Mostly Harmless. The end of the last one was a little upsetting, but I suppose it couldn't have ended much differently.

Finally read The Hobbit last month. After I finish Neuromancer I'll get back to reading the entire LOTR set.

The man. The myth. The legend.

RomeyRome

I read parts of his bio, and I get a miniscule sense of where his apparent negativity comes from, but I really don't know anything about him.  

MURP

yeah NB i've read some since Dark Rivers of the Heart.

IMO:
Icebound- sucked
Darkfall- ok
False Memory- awesome
Seize the Night- pretty good
The Eyes of Darkness- sucked

PhillyGirl

I'm in the middle of reading "I Still Hate to Lose" about Larry Bowa. Really good book so far.
"Oh, yeah. They'll still boo. They have to. They're born to boo. Just now, they'll only boo with two Os instead of like four." - Larry Andersen

Diomedes

anyone here a William Gibson fan?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

RomeyRome

Quote from: MURP on June 28, 2004, 08:07:54 PM
yeah NB i've read some since Dark Rivers of the Heart.

IMO:
Icebound- sucked
Darkfall- ok
False Memory- awesome
Seize the Night- pretty good
The Eyes of Darkness- sucked

I could have told you all that. ;)  So you read Seize the Night huh?  That is part 2 of a 3 book series, and it would have helped if you read part one, but no biggie, atleast you thought it was pretty good.

If you ever read one again, try Midnight or Intensity.