Super Bowl LII - Patriots: The Eagles Won The God Damn Super Bowl

Started by MDS, January 22, 2018, 12:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

No Mass tomorrow as the flu has made itself known in our house this weekend.  Plan is for next Sunday, St. Vincent de Paul, 9:30 a.m. service.

also...this a good read:
https://footballfilmroom.com/2018/02/08/super-bowl-lii-recap-eagles-offense-vs-patriots-defense/
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

Quote from: Diomedes on February 10, 2018, 01:59:39 PM
No Mass tomorrow as the flu has made itself known in our house this weekend.  Plan is for next Sunday, St. Vincent de Paul, 9:30 a.m. service.

also...this a good read:
https://footballfilmroom.com/2018/02/08/super-bowl-lii-recap-eagles-offense-vs-patriots-defense/

Nice read. Thanks for the link. I definitely remember when Foles motioned Clement into the backfield during the Ertz TD grab. Interesting to know why. Pretty cool chess-match taking place. It's hard to believe how flawless the birds played.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

SD

Quote from: Diomedes on February 10, 2018, 01:59:39 PM

also...this a good read:

This is awesome. I read as many game breakdowns as I can find during the season. It was hard to tell during the re-watch what the Pats safety's were up to but this breakdown explains a lot.

I've re-watched the game 4 times, after they put Gilmore on Jeffery he didn't have another catch. Alshon was in Gilmore's wedding, but watch the replay on the 2 pt conversion where they're jawing at each other. That wasn't friendly shtein talking.

Geowhizzer

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Susquehanna Birder

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Eagaholic

Quote from: Diomedes on February 09, 2018, 09:07:22 AM
Quote from: QB Eagles on February 08, 2018, 10:21:18 PM
Rewatching the game again.

For the record, Danny Amendola totally fumbled in-bounds before the whistle on the last Patriots scoring drive.

His entire body is held up fighting against the strip and falls only once the ball comes out...it was a fumble.  No question.
My question about that is McLeod had his feet out of bounds when he pried the ball free. Is it still live or should it be blown dead? My best guess is maybe he has to establish himself back on the field of play before he can force a live fumble and maybe that's why there was a whistle as soon as the ball came free. Or maybe it was a just blown call, there certainly were a number of them (including Kyle Van Noy's PI in the endzone).

Another one I was wondering about if anyone knows the answer - On the hail mary,  Gronk gave a forearm shiv to Mills to get free. Obvious penalty. A second before, Jenkins hit (?) Amendola from the side waaay more than 5 yards downfield which also should be a penalty. I can understand the refs swallowing the whistle on the last play of the SB, especially on a HM, but what should it technically be? Off setting? And if so should the offense get a replay even though time ran out or would that be it?

And speaking of hail marys Dio, you better make sure to get your ass to church this weekend like you said. We don't need another 60 year curse visited upon us and any descendants. And you should receive communion then which means you have to go to confession at another time beforehand,  which for you should probably take > an hour. And if you weren't baptized so you can receive communion you have to knock that one out before confession. And we need another vow from you next season. Can't farg around with future SB wins. 

QB Eagles

Quote from: Eagaholic on February 13, 2018, 02:12:10 AMMy question about that is McLeod had his feet out of bounds when he pried the ball free. Is it still live or should it be blown dead? My best guess is maybe he has to establish himself back on the field of play before he can force a live fumble and maybe that's why there was a whistle as soon as the ball came free.

A ball doesn't become dead when touched by an OOB player while it is still in the possession of an in-bounds player. If McLeod touched the loose ball after knocking it out, I believe it would be ruled dead at that point. I don't think McLeod ever touches the loose ball after prying it out, but Amendola then falls to the ground and he might have touched it while OOB.

Because the whistle comes before the Eagle recovery (meaning while still Patriot ball) there was no way to review the play and have a favorable outcome. But if the ref had swallowed his whistle, I think it should have been Eagle ball. The ref probably also would have been justified blowing the whistle prior to the fumble, as Amendola was clearly making no further attempt to advance the ball and was being held up while trying to get down.

Quote from: Eagaholic on February 13, 2018, 02:12:10 AMAnother one I was wondering about if anyone knows the answer - On the hail mary,  Gronk gave a forearm shiv to Mills to get free. Obvious penalty. A second before, Jenkins hit (?) Amendola from the side waaay more than 5 yards downfield which also should be a penalty. I can understand the refs swallowing the whistle on the last play of the SB, especially on a HM, but what should it technically be? Off setting? And if so should the offense get a replay even though time ran out or would that be it?

The last play should have been a penalty on the Eagles for the shove away from the play, no question. Untimed replay of down, I think. No PI ever gets called on the actual jump ball, so what Gronk did there was normal.

Eagaholic

Quote from: QB Eagles on February 13, 2018, 03:03:59 AM
Quote from: Eagaholic on February 13, 2018, 02:12:10 AMMy question about that is McLeod had his feet out of bounds when he pried the ball free. Is it still live or should it be blown dead? My best guess is maybe he has to establish himself back on the field of play before he can force a live fumble and maybe that's why there was a whistle as soon as the ball came free.

A ball doesn't become dead when touched by an OOB player while it is still in the possession of an in-bounds player. If McLeod touched the loose ball after knocking it out, I believe it would be ruled dead at that point. I don't think McLeod ever touches the loose ball after prying it out, but Amendola then falls to the ground and he might have touched it while OOB.

Because the whistle comes before the Eagle recovery (meaning while still Patriot ball) there was no way to review the play and have a favorable outcome. But if the ref had swallowed his whistle, I think it should have been Eagle ball. The ref probably also would have been justified blowing the whistle prior to the fumble, as Amendola was clearly making no further attempt to advance the ball and was being held up while trying to get down.

Quote from: Eagaholic on February 13, 2018, 02:12:10 AMAnother one I was wondering about if anyone knows the answer - On the hail mary,  Gronk gave a forearm shiv to Mills to get free. Obvious penalty. A second before, Jenkins hit (?) Amendola from the side waaay more than 5 yards downfield which also should be a penalty. I can understand the refs swallowing the whistle on the last play of the SB, especially on a HM, but what should it technically be? Off setting? And if so should the offense get a replay even though time ran out or would that be it?

The last play should have been a penalty on the Eagles for the shove away from the play, no question. Untimed replay of down, I think. No PI ever gets called on the actual jump ball, so what Gronk did there was normal.
For the Gronk piece, he gave a good elbow or forearm to Mills in the face while they were sprinting down toward the endzone, I want to say somewhere around the 20 yard line. I don't think many other than Gronk can clothesline a player running beside him but it kind of looked like that. I just realized it wasn't in the network feed, probably a mic'd up compilation or something that I saw it. I'd guess it's a personal foul. I'm not sure but I think it would offset if occurring during the play. If it's offsetting it is a replay of the down, but I don't know how that works if time runs out during the play. I'd expect it is the end of the game since the offense doesn't 'deserve' another free play like in a single penalty against them.

ice grillin you

mike perreia says the philly special was an illegal formation for not enough men on the line of scrimmage and after looking at the all 22 hes probably right so lets just call it all even
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Eagles_Legendz

People have been saying that for a week.  Alshon also said he checked with the line judge before the play who said he was OK where he was.  Not sure you can throw a flag after he got a green light as to his positioning.

ice grillin you

not sure why it matters how long people have been saying it.....you could see amendola fumbled during the game...that was two weeks ago

point is both teams got calls...its called sports

not everything goes against the eagles....the point is they actually get calls as well
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous