DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagle (PIMP)

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 26, 2008, 07:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

QuoteJackson: Fitzgerald Different Type Of WR

By Bo Wulf

Posted 45 minutes ago

Eagles Pro Bowl wide receiver DeSean Jackson is preparing for the season ahead with his training camp absence behind him. Jackson, who missed 11 days of camp, is hoping for a new contract, but he has pledged to be focused solely on football.

On Saturday night, another Pro Bowl wide receiver, Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals received a new contract of his own, reportedly worth $120 million over eight years, making him one of the highest paid players in the league. Shortly after news of the contract broke, Jackson tweeted his congratulations to his friend Fitzgerald.

"Congrats to my Big bro @LarryFitzgerald!! Well deserved.. Wideouts ballin!!," Jackson tweeted.

But after Monday's practice, Jackson said his congratulations had little to do with his own contract search.

"He got a contract, so of course that's a good friend of mine, I'm going to congratulate him," Jackson said.

Jackson added that comparisons between he and Fitzgerald are unfair because they're different types of receivers and Fitzgerald is entering his eighth season in the league, while Jackson is entering his fourth.

In Jackson's three seasons, he's averaged 57 catches, 1,041 receiving yards and six touchdowns. Over that same three-year span, Fitzgerald has notched an average of 93 catches for 1,220 yards and just over 10 touchdowns per season. 

"The things he's done, he's been in the league of course a longer time than me," said Jackson. "It's his third deal. So as far as him being a different player than myself, comparing the type of receivers we are, he's a totally different type of receiver than I am. So we don't compare as far as receiver wise.

"He's a good player. He's one of the top receivers in the NFL like myself, so of course when it comes down to that, yeah, but money-wise or stats-wise, I don't compare any of that stuff. I just take care of what I have to take care of."

Jackson said "We don't know yet, we'll see," when asked if there has been any progress on a new contract with the Eagles, but emphasized that his focus remains on the field, where he does consider himself to be among the league's elite.

"Growing up I kind of looked up to Jerry Rice and Michael Irvin," he said. "But as far as receivers right now in the NFL, I don't really look up to any of them. I respect their game. There are a couple of great receivers out there. I just consider myself to be one of the best wide receivers in the NFL."

Call me cynical but when you start seeing PR bullshtein like this it's time to start looking for a new jersey to wear.

So long, Pimp.  It's been real, buddy.

Munson

So him saying good things about Fitz/a bunch of nothing about his own shtein instead of tearing into the Eagles FO in public means he's def not coming back?

I don't usually hop on the old crabby person joke train but damn romey....I think you're reading into it just a bit too much.

You're cynical.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Rome

They've done it before is all I'm saying.

Hawk

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PoopyfaceMcGee

If Pimp is looking for upwards of $45 million in guaranteed money, he can keep looking.

Eagaholic

$45 million guaranteed? He'd be lucky to get that total. If he gets 25 million guaranteed he's done well.

shorebird

This is getting rediculous. I know he's under contract and I've said before that players should honor their contracts, but c'mon. The guys one of if not the most underpaid player in the league. This is bordering on insulting. What the hell is the FO thinking, are the trying to piss him off?? It's like they're saying, WE HAVE THE POWER!. I mean, are you kiddin' me?! This is the last player they want to do this too. Friggen' Eagles FO! I never really hated them but I'm starting to now. If they end up losing pimp at the end of the year then fans should burn the linc down.

Tomahawk

PoopyfaceMcGee

CONSPIRACY ALERT!

DeSean refused to talk to reporters after practice today. The Eagles actually had one of their staffers on hand to assist with waving off the media.

Is he next?

General_Failure

Surprise twist! They're totally trading him.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Drunkmasterflex

Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Tomahawk

Desean Jackson doesn't strike me as the type of guy who gets nervous

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

Well, it's something at least:

Quote"Getting into the specifics can only be counter-productive," said Banner. "We think that DeSean is a great player and we're lucky to have him and we appreciate that he's here now and working as hard as he is. Anything else beyond that is just not good for the process, which is what I have to be focused on."