I'm in the market to buy a television & need assistance.

Started by Mad-Lad, November 29, 2005, 02:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Holy shtein that's awesome.  Like 15 years ago I worked pt @ Boscovs in loss prevention. Caught an extremely obese woman stealing a 19"ish tv.  She squatted on it and lifted it up between her thighs and started waddling her way to the exit. Saw the whole thing on camera.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 02, 2013, 09:31:07 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on February 02, 2013, 09:13:27 AM
thats a nice price....but i dont need ells and whistles like 3d and smart tv and shtein

In that case, you should be able to pick up a basic LED tv in the 50-60" range for under a G.  Sony, Samsung and Sharp are all excellent. LG and Vizio aren't bad either. Obviously you want to make sure it has 1080p and a minimum of 120hz for the refresh rate.

Quotespeaking of inputs is it possible to hook up two video game systems to one tv...and when i say video games i mean old ones...i have the nintendo and sega game systems from the early 90's....ie tecmo and nhl 94

Both have coax hookups, right?  You'll need to buy a 2 in, 1 out coax switch. Plug each console into one of the in ports, then run the out port to your tv's coax jack.  Use the selector switch to open the signal from one console to the other. Here's an example. You should be able to find them at Best Buy, Radio Shack, Wal Mart, etc if you don't want to wait for shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-Coaxial-A-Switch/dp/B0002ZPIQ4

good lookin sargent
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

No prob.  Just make sure you get a coax SWITCH and not a splitter.  The switch allows you to run 2 different components (NES and Sega) into a single input on your tv.  The splitter would do the exact opposite, which is take a single component (cable/satellite box for example) and split the signal so it could be seen on 2 different tv's. 

Seabiscuit36

Ordered a new tv yesterday.  Went to bestbuy Saturday, sales guy knew nothing about tv's.  He didn't seem to understand the difference between a 120hz and 240hz, and made zero effort to have the tv we wanted shipped to the store or to our house.  Basically he said they only can sell whats in stock in the store.  Ended up looking on amazon, found it two dollars cheaper, free shipping, no sales tax, and it'll be here friday.  Moral of the story, box stores are dying, for good reason. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Sgt PSN

Zanshin

I was stuck in a Best Buy upgrading a phone for my wife. While I was there, there was an Ultra HD TV on display nearby. They're cost prohibitive at this point, but holy shtein the picture was almost too good.

Munson

shtein, I think the picture on regular HD tvs with the motion capture or whatever the hell its called turned on look 'too good'...makes everything look like its a soap opera or something.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Sgt PSN on February 03, 2014, 02:40:21 PM
Well wtf kind of teevee did you get?
Ended up with a Samsung UN65F7100, great picture, 240hz, LED which was a must for our house since we have windows everywhere.  The old tv is a sony SXRD which is nearly 10 years old, and it was time to upgrade. 

I looked at the 4K tv's too Zan, and like you said, its unreal.  But that price just wasn't going to cut it. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

General_Failure

Don't worry about 4k tvs, there's still no content for them.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Seabiscuit36

Exactly.  Hell, 3D ran its course with minimal adoption. 

Rome

I saw the 4K today at Best Buy.   It's beyond phenomenal.   My Sony was the absolute best television you could buy 6 years ago and now it's a dinosaur.  It's still a good television and it works fine, but goddamn the 4K is insane.   It was $4,500 which is 100% out of my price range, but when they get down to the $1,500 to $2,000 range I'm ALL IN.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: Rome on February 03, 2014, 05:04:38 PM
I saw the 4K today at Best Buy.   It's beyond phenomenal.   My Sony was the absolute best television you could buy 6 years ago and now it's a dinosaur.  It's still a good television and it works fine, but goddamn the 4K is insane.   It was $4,500 which is 100% out of my price range, but when they get down to the $1,500 to $2,000 range I'm ALL IN.
My old sony was top of the line as well Rome, but Sony had issues with the light engine overheating and it created this weird pink hue which on some tv's morphed into a green or purple blob.  Sony settled a class action suit, offered us a Bravia on the cheap.  We kept the old one and it just kept going.  At this point I'm not sure what I want to do with it once the new one shows up friday. 

SD

Anyone have a 4k tv? Worth the extra coin? Saw one at best buy and the picture was unreal

MDS

i was at my buddy's place last week and he had one.....it was pretty solid

essentially its a risk because if 4k doesnt take off youll be SOL. if it does youll be in on the ground floor, whatever that means.

it comes down to how much you want to spend. if you want to go big, go for it. if you want to go smaller, get a placeholder and wait a few years for the technology and market to work itself out.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Amazon has them in the $1500-2000 range right now. Why would it be bad if they don't take off? The picture isn't going to change is it?