Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

It's a messenger/chat/voice chat dealie. Someone makes a server, makes a bunch of channels for different topics. You click the invite link, and you can go in through the app or the website.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

Diomedes

I keep a library of music, almost all .mp3 files.  I use Windows.  I use a Sony Walkman .mp3 player.

I don't use any music software to keep the library organized.  Instead, I just keep a strict file folder and naming system in Explorer. 

When I access files on the player, it will display by artist, album, etc.

Over time, I've slowly correct discrepencies that will do things like show two entries by artist for Guns N' Roses, because one of the folders uses an amperand rather than the "N'"

I don't mind finding these and correcting them manually because once the correction is made, the player consolidates everything nicely.

I'm running into a naming thing I can't figure out.   

One album has a single song that is being displayed as "ArtistName/" while all other songs from that album display as "ArtistName"

I cannot for the life of me find that "/" to remove.  It's not in the properties/details of the file name, etc.

If you understand all that and can help, I'd be grateful.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

What happens when you remove the whole ArtistName?

Diomedes

I'll try that and report back.  Thanks.

Diomedes

I removed ArtistName from both the "Contributing Artist" and "Album Artist" fields in the right click>properties>details menu screen.  The file vanished from view in the player at all...could not find file at all...through ArtistName list or even under the Album name.  Searched through the lists for "unknown, untitled, etc.  File not visible to player.

Now I've gone in and reversed that, re-entering ArtistName in those two same field, saving it...and problem solved.  Song appears where it's supoosed to.  No longer displays as "ArtistName/"

I'm mystified.

General_Failure

Computers are just rocks and lightning, they really shouldn't work at all but they do.

ice grillin you

if you blind copy someone on an email then another recipient of the email replys to all does the BCC person get the reply?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Not in my experience no.

When I put out bids to my vendors I address it to myself, copy my boss or partner and then bcc the vendors whom I want to bid.

Diomedes

Sometimes my internet connection craps out.  Usually, if I power off the router, let it sit a minute without juice, then fire it back up, all is well. 

Why?  What's happened to it, and what's it doing?

General_Failure

It could be the cable in your area, it could be the wires running from the street into your house. If they're bad, you're going to drop your connection. You probably don't even need to let the router sit for a minute, just start it right back up.

Diomedes

Routers are like computers insofar as you have to completely shut them down regularly, so they can run clean-up functions, or something like that?

General_Failure

Bad ones, maybe. Under ideal conditions, a router should be able to run for years without you needing to touch it at all. If you're renting yours from your ISP, it's probably not a great one.

Rome

Twitter got the rape basement treatment from some bitcoin hacker. 

Actually pretty scary stuff considering who was hacked and (I assume) the heightened level of secured passwords they should have been using.

I mean I'm pretty sure Bill Gates ain't using abc123.