Best/Worst liked Dog Breeds

Started by hbionic, July 12, 2007, 07:48:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drunkmasterflex

Coincidentally the owner of that dog was a dude that was one of those phantom training camp injuries that was placed on IR for the Baltimore Ravens.  The dude was a world class tool.   
Official Sponsor of #58 Trent Cole

The gods made Trent Cole-Sloganizer.net

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

mussa

Were you shtein faced? I've seen you shtein faced, I can see why a dog wouldn't enjoy you being shtein faced, lol
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 21, 2011, 02:27:02 PMJust so you know, nearly every story about a pit bull attack is when the dog attacks someone outside of his/her family.  I honestly don't recall hearing a story about a pit (that was well taken care of by it's family) turning on any member of the family, especially the kids.  Of course, they have attacked strange kids on the street, but I would tend to argue that (a) the dog wasn't well cared for and (b) the kid did something (unintentionally most likely) that set an alarm off in the dog's head.

uhm....from the Straight Dope article I just posted:

QuoteMuch, but not all, of what we've learned about dog bites is what you'd expect: In most attacks the victim knew the dog, which was often a family pet, and the attack was close to home. Male dogs were more likely to attack; unneutered males possibly even more so. A disproportionate percentage of dog bite victims are children. Most attacks are provoked, with young children doing most of the provoking. Now for the outlying data point: one study found 94 percent of pit bull attacks on kids were unprovoked, as opposed to only 43 percent of attacks by other breeds. OK, one study, and provocation can be a tough thing to judge. Still.

In conclusion, dogs are better than people, especially moreso than anyone in igy's shallow, grimy gene pool.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Sgt PSN

Quote from: smeags on January 21, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 21, 2011, 02:27:02 PM
Plenty of people out there who spend a lot of money on purebred dogs when there's plenty of great pups in shelters who need a good home. 

hmmmm, purebred dogs ?

part of this issue, not only with pit bulls but it sure leads to some bigger problems with them, is the fact that there is so much damn inbreeding. you get farged up dogs that seem to have problems like biting and health issues.

Absolutely.  In fact, I'd be all for state/local governments throwing some laws out there that regulate breeding to help protect the dogs and the people who buy them. 

But that's not my reason to stay away from pure breeds, because if I really wanted a purebred dog, I could put in the time to research breeders and bloodlines to ensure that I'm getting a quality pup.  It's just that shelters and rescues are bursting at the seams with animals that just need a good home.   I just adopted that 2 yr old dog that's been in the shelter for 14 months and it broke my heart knowing that people have passed him up because he wasn't a puppy and there's a good possibility he could have been there for another year, if not longer....maybe spent his entire life there.  So it's a win/win.  I got a great dog (he has an excellent disposition and listens really well) and the dog got sprung from the clinc and has a great home now. 

Quote from: reese125 on January 21, 2011, 02:40:28 PM
http://www.wwltv.com/home/Pit-bull-attacks-4-year-old-boy-114273399.html

ironically enough this just happened yesterday. kid goes up to fence to talk to another child, pit bull "thinks" hes protecting the property and owner. end result: 64 stitches and a life of the elephant man.

sorry, but this doesnt scream Im not dangerous at all.

Just so you know, nearly every story about a pit bull attack is when the dog attacks someone outside of his/her family.  I honestly don't recall hearing a story about a pit (that was well taken care of by it's family) turning on any member of the family, especially the kids.  Of course, they have attacked strange kids on the street, but I would tend to argue that (a) the dog wasn't well cared for and (b) the kid did something (unintentionally most likely) that set an alarm off in the dog's head.

Pits view anyone from outside of their family as a stranger, even if they see you every day.  Unless you sleep in that house every night, you're an outsider as far as they're concerned.  One of my best friends as a kid had a pit and I was over there all the time.  The dog knew me and was very playful with me and never got aggressive towards me......until me and my buddy were sitting on the floor playing nintendo and he was kicking my ass at whatever game we were playing and I gave him a little shove.  Next thing I know, this dog is standing between me and my friend, growling and snarling.  I consider myself pretty lucky that this dog actually had some restraint, because a lot of pits don't have that and would have been all over me.  I never once blamed the dog.  He was protecting his family.  And after a couple minutes, the dog calmed down and everything went back to normal.  Lesson learned that day was to wait until we left the house to beat up my friend. 

smeags

Quote from: Sgt PSN on January 21, 2011, 03:53:02 PM
Quote from: smeags on January 21, 2011, 02:50:04 PM
Plenty of people out there who spend a lot of money on purebred dogs when there's plenty of great pups in shelters who need a good home. 

hmmmm, purebred dogs ?

part of this issue, not only with pit bulls but it sure leads to some bigger problems with them, is the fact that there is so much damn inbreeding. you get farged up dogs that seem to have problems like biting and health issues.

Absolutely.  In fact, I'd be all for state/local governments throwing some laws out there that regulate breeding to help protect the dogs and the people who buy them. 

But that's not my reason to stay away from pure breeds, because if I really wanted a purebred dog, I could put in the time to research breeders and bloodlines to ensure that I'm getting a quality pup.  It's just that shelters and rescues are bursting at the seams with animals that just need a good home. 

i understood you the first time goomer. i have one of each. an 11yr old lab/sheppard mix straight outta da shelta and a purebred boxer. both are great dogs and both given me equal headaches as they both love to chew things and pee on yard furniture but they are both great dogs.

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

SD

I raised 3 pitbulls when I lived in San Diego, all 3 were from a shelter (a brother and sister I couldn't split up and a red nose). The red nose and female were temperamental and I could tell they needed extra work. I did some research on the internet and bought some books on how to properly train them and they were great dogs. I used to let them off their leash at Dog Beach and never had an issue.

smeags

If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Diomedes

in my experience dogs in a group will rarely fight, unless:

someone encourages fighting / humans are fighting (of course)
a dog is leashed and others are not
a toy/treat is involved

they sort themselves out in a group and don't generally fight.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

anyone defending pit bulls is a farging assclown.

they are a violent breed that should be rounded up and blasted into the nearest black hole.

PhillyPhreak54

Mike Vick supports your message.

Rome

Granted I have a special bias because I have to deal with them in my job on a routine basis, but still, how many people have to be mauled by those monsters before we get the hint and eradicate the species?

General_Failure

If all the stupid people would hurry up and get mauled we wouldn't need to talk about it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Quote from: Rome on January 21, 2011, 05:47:49 PM
Granted I have a special bias because I have to deal with them in my job on a routine basis, but still, how many people have to be mauled by those monsters before we get the hint and eradicate the species?

if you're talking about humans, sign me up.

Munson

lol people have been mauled by pit bulls because other people have raised those dogs wrong. Plain and simple.

I've been around a number of rescued pits that act perfectly fine. They only see me once a year, MAYBE twice a year at most, and they run right up to me tails wagging. And as mussa said, if you sit down on the couch, they jump right up in your lap and lay down.

As long as they're being trained correctly, they're fine. The reason why they attack more than others is because more of them are raised as attack dogs more than others. How is that so hard to understand?
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Quote from: Munson on January 21, 2011, 06:12:37 PMAs long as they're being trained correctly, they're fine as any other dog.

ftfy