The "what the farg is wrong with this world" thread

Started by PhillyGirl, March 07, 2010, 12:28:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

QuoteAfter 60 years of supporting the blacks I give up.

I'm sure they appreciated that support, Sir.

ice grillin you

Eagaholic

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on August 21, 2014, 12:14:24 PM
Quote from: Sgt PSN on August 21, 2014, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: Diomedes on August 20, 2014, 09:24:35 PM
I'll be called a racist, but I'm not down with demonizing this cop yet.  Not much is actually known.  Mobs are lousy either way, KKK or LA Riots, let's not join this one just yet.

Agreed. There's too many conflicting stories right now for me to say with certainty that this cop is in the wrong. I will demonize the police, local and state govt for the way that pretty much everything has been handled since though.  Total failure.
This is where I'm at as well.  The rush to judgement was not unexpected considering what had been brewing underneath.  The way the local PD responded after, and then the other local agencies makes them look terrible in general.  I'd like to see dash cams, because at this point i wouldnt put it past the officers in the area to have Wilson "Take one for the team". 

This would me point as well. Even if you allow for another side of the story from the shooting cops perspective, there's still no justifying the abuse of power and intimidation by some of the other local PD. It makes Wilson look all the more guilty by association.

Rome

QuoteCatholic diocese takes issue with Ice Bucket Challenge

Posted: Saturday, August 23, 2014 4:16 pm

By HANNON ADELY, JEFF GREEN and ABBOTT KOLOFF, The Record

The Newark Roman Catholic Archdiocese has told pastors and Catholic school officials that holding Ice Bucket Challenges, a popular fad that has raised millions of dollars to combat a crippling illness, conflicts with church teachings by funding embryonic stem-cell research.

The warning was issued in a letter from a church official and with the blessing of Archbishop John J. Myers. It said some of the research funded by the ALS Association, which receives much of the money from the Ice Bucket Challenge, involves embryonic stem-cell research, which is opposed by the Catholic Church because of conflicts with its antiabortion mission.

The challenge involves dumping ice water on participants' heads and donating money for research into ALS, or amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, also known as Lou Gehrig's disease. The Rev. Lawrence Fama, director of the archdiocesan Office of Respect Life, called the challenge "a stunt" that can be "fun and engaging," but questioned whether the practice conflicts with "Catholic moral teaching."

Newark is one of just a few dioceses across the nation that have issued advisories about the Ice Bucket Challenge, which has become a social media sensation.

The archdiocese sent the letter Thursday to principals at all 94 Catholic schools in the archdiocese, and to pastors and religious education staff at 218 parishes. It suggested sending donations to organizations that don't use embryonic stem-cell research.

The ALS Association responded to the warnings with a statement saying it primarily funds adult stem-cell research, which is not opposed by the Catholic Church. The statement went on to say that the association is funding one study that uses embryonic stem cells, and that research is funded by "one specific donor who is committed to this area of research."

"In fact, donors may stipulate that their funds not be invested in this study or any stem-cell project," the statement said.

It was unclear what impact the archdiocese's letter would have. Catholic schools won't be back in session for another week and a half. Pastors were sent the letters for informational purposes, said archdiocesan spokesman Jim Goodness, but it's up to them to decide how or whether they will share that information with parishioners.

Embryonic stem-cell research does not rank as a major issue for most Catholics. In a 2009 Gallup survey, 63 percent of Catholics said embryonic stem-cell research was "morally acceptable."

This is not the first time the archdiocese has instructed parishioners to be cautious of popular fund-raisers. Goodness said a similar letter was sent about Susan G. Komen, a foundation for breast cancer research, raising concerns about the organization's support of stem-cell research, and Planned Parenthood, whose clinics offer contraception and abortions.

"It's something that normally our Office of Respect Life would do for a regular education thing for parishes, to remind them this is Catholic teaching on a particular subject," Goodness said.

While Myers did not write the letter this week, he has been outspoken on other issues and their relationship to Catholic doctrine, including same-sex marriage. He has been especially vocal on abortion, having published a five-page letter a decade ago stating it was dishonest for Catholic officeholders who favor abortion rights to receive communion.

Last September, Pope Francis said church leaders had become too focused on social issues such as same-sex marriage and abortion, and had strayed from their pastoral mission of helping the poor.

Goodness said the guidance regarding donations to ALS does not conflict with the pope's message, and merely tells people to be aware of potential conflicts with Catholic teaching.

Raul Caceres, a Teaneck parishioner who has campaigned against lavish upgrades to Myers' future retirement home, said the letter is an example of the archdiocese defying the wishes of Pope Francis.

Caceres, a surgeon, said he disagrees with church teaching on the issue of embryonic stem-cell research. "I'm a doctor; how could I oppose that?" he said.

The U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops has not issued any letter or advisory on the matter of donations to the ALS Association, said spokesman Don Clemmer.

ALS attacks the nerve cells of the brain and spinal cord that control voluntary motion. The bucket challenge began modestly to raise awareness and money to fight the disease, but exploded as a social media phenomenon. The campaign now appears to be among the most successful grass-roots charitable fundraising efforts in history.

The challenge calls on people to post videos on social media of having a bucket of ice dumped on their head — either by themselves or someone else. They also have to publicly name others to do the same thing within 24 hours or donate $100 to the ALS Association. Many people do both.

Since July, videos of participants being doused with ice water have blanketed Twitter and Facebook. Celebrities including Taylor Swift, Oprah Winfrey and Derek Jeter have taken the challenge and posted their videos online.

The ALS Association has received $53.3 million in donations, compared with $2.2 million during the same period last year from July 29 to Aug. 21.

Just when you think that ridiculous cult can't get any more irrelevant they issue edicts like this one.

Just insanely stupid in every way.

Diomedes

Which is worse, being against this harmless fad on account of

a.) stem cell research
b.) no one gets ALS
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Rome

I'm pretty sure Christ would kick the living shtein out of the fargheads that claim to speak in his name.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Diomedes on August 24, 2014, 09:29:01 AM
Which is worse, being against this harmless fad on account of

a.) stem cell research
b.) no one gets ALS

i would recommend giving your money to stem cell research which has the potential to cure thousands of conditions and diseases one of which may or may not be something that effects the amount of people who went to mass today in dodge city kansas

PhillyPhreak54

The Catholics are out of touch.

Said by a catholic....me

General_Failure

Ferguson: officer relieved of duty after video of racist remarks surfaces

QuoteDan Page was recorded in April giving a speech in which he described President Barack Obama as an illegal immigrant, and railed against Muslims and gay people. "I'm into diversity – I kill everybody," he said.

Page - who was seen live on CNN earlier this week threatening to arrest the network's anchor Don Lemon – is the second St Louis county officer to have been stood down in controversial circumstances surrounding the Ferguson protests. Lieutenant Ray Albers was suspended on Wednesday after video emerged of him pointing his assault weapon at protestors and threatening to kill them.

The man. The myth. The legend.

smeags

i'm doing the ice bucket challenge, i lost a friend to ALS 3 months ago.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

My idiot farging cousin likes to post stupid shtein on Facebook like "we need God back in schools."

I agreed with him tonight.  I posted only Islamic law should be taught in schools.  Then I wrote, "Praise Be To Allah!"

Can't wait to see the reaction.