The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabiscuit36

that's the problem, temps are gonna be between 32 and 34 from what i saw.  NWS just sent out an alert for a winter storm watch. 

Quote...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MOUNT HOLLY HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM WEDNESDAY EVENING THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* LOCATIONS...THIS WATCH INCLUDES FAR SOUTHEASTERN PENNSYLVANIA...INCLUDING THE PHILADELPHIA METRO AREA...SOUTHWESTERN NEW JERSEY...FAR NORTHEASTERN MARYLAND...AND NORTHERN DELAWARE.

* HAZARD TYPES...SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS ARE FORECAST TO GENERALLY RANGE FROM 6 TO 8 INCHES WITH AMOUNTS OVER 8 INCHES POSSIBLE IN THE HIGHER TERRAIN OF EASTERN PENNSYLVANIA. IN ADDITION...ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED TO RANGE FROM A TRACE UP TO ONE QUARTER INCH.

* TIMING...PRECIPITATION SHOULD BEGIN AS MOSTLY SNOW WEDNESDAY NIGHT. THE SNOW IS FORECAST TO CHANGE OVER TO A SNOW...SLEET...AND FREEZING RAIN MIX DURING THE DAY THURSDAY...BEFORE CHANGING TO SNOW AND TAPERING OFF THURSDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL COULD BE SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACTED ACROSS THE REGION ESPECIALLY ON THURSDAY. IN ADDITION TO TRAVEL IMPACTS...WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 25 MPH WILL BE POSSIBLE ON THURSDAY WHICH COULD LEAD TO POWER OUTAGES IF SIGNIFICANT ICE ACCUMULATIONS OCCUR BY THE TIME WINDS INCREASE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Munson

Joy.

I love the snow, and I love the snowdays I get from work...but my girlfriend is a teacher and we're going to Firefly. The school year ends like a week before the concert, and if they have to make up the hours.... :boom
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Seabiscuit36

In Colonial I think they're just adding 10 minutes to the school day which makes up a few days before the summer break
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

Geowhizzer

Rome and I are going to die from 80 and sun.

Diomedes

So long as you both die, I don't care how it happens.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on February 10, 2014, 03:47:40 PM
In Colonial I think they're just adding 10 minutes to the school day which makes up a few days before the summer break

She's in Christina, they (and Brandywine, where I usually sub) keep saying that they don't know exactly yet how much they'll have to make up and blah blah blah
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

okay fanboys....what's gonna happen tomorrow night/thursday?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

balmer counties should around a foot.....the city closer to 8
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Seabiscuit36

Buy a snowblower. Its gonna be heavy snow

Where I'm at, the weather people have zero clue how to forecast.  All depends on the track of the storm.  Rivers are icing up again on both sides so its plausible we get some bay effect snow. 

Zanshin

I don't usually piss and moan about the weather. That said, farg this. I'm done.

Susquehanna Birder

This reminds me of the winter of (I think) '93. When I lived in my previous house, and didn't have a snow thrower. There was so much snow that I couldn't throw the stuff over the piles from the previous storms. Eventually I just gave up on the driveway and drove over the stuff. That was enough incentive for me to purchase a snow thrower...and I've had one ever since.

I wonder if you could even find one in the stores right now.

General_Failure

Or a generator for under $2,000.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Seabiscuit36

Snowing and laying since 7:30 tonight in North East, MD.  It's 25 degrees out and holding. 

Seabiscuit36

Roughly 10 inches on the ground, keeps switching between Freezing rain, Wet Snow, Sleet.

Diomedes

I was out at 6, cleared my sidewalk, my driveway, half the street in front of my driveway, three neighbors' sidewalks, and the sidewalk in front of the park I manage.  It changed over to straight rain by the time I was finished at 7:30, and the snow was really getting heavier because of all the moisture.  Now it appears to be back to snow, and coming down hard.  We did get my wife out the door though, and she made it to the hospital without incident.  Yay new tires on a front wheel drive.