The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

The storm slowed down and is continuing to edge further down the west coast.  Now the probable landfall is Charlotte Harbor, on the mouth of the Peace River.  Everywhere from Fort Myers to Sarasota will be getting hurricane-force winds, as will the coast of my county. It also won't weaken before landfall, as had been hoped earlier.  Storm surge will be 6-12 feet, depending on how close the storm's eye comes to the locale.

I'm inland a bit, so we'll be having tropical force winds.  The concern will be how long we're subjected to it - could be a rough stretch of 36 or so hours.

PhillyPhreak54

Best of luck, Geo. Do you have a generator?

shtein like this brings me back to Harvey and how it rained so hard for so long. Hopefully you guys don't have any flooding.

ice grillin you

there is likely to be 10+ foot storm surge in many areas...I can assure you there is going to be flooding
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

I'm talking about where he is.

PhillyPhreak54

2mph under a Cat 5 right now

Jeez

General_Failure

Oh right, my sister still lives down there. I should check and see if she's okay.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah this mofo is merciless - strengthened overnight and there isn't enough shear to break it up or weaken it much.

Geowhizzer

I'm pretty far inland, so the flooding shouldn't be an issue for me unless the storm completely stalls and pours.  The coastal areas are screwed, though.

There is a small pine tree laying across my driveway.  A shtein-ton of palm branches in my yard.  Still have power to this point.

Eye is due west of me right now.

Ian is a farger.

PhillyPhreak54

Yeah I just saw they upped the storm surge projection to 16FT in some areas. That's insane.

PhillyPhreak54

SD

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 28, 2022, 07:07:37 AM
2mph under a Cat 5 right now

Jeez

Rubio and Desantis probably rolled to Cancun before the storm hit

Rome

It's been drenching rain here in Daytona all day.  We haven't gotten the wind yet but the feeder bands have been unloading on us and it will continue for the next 24 hours.  Then the winds come.

shtein is getting real down in Geostan.  Hang in there, brotha. 

Geowhizzer

Just took a quick walk up and down the street (mainly to send a few texts to co-workers... farging Verizon doesn't work at my house).  A lot of standing water in yards (again, nothing threatening the actual houses), but no visible damage to any homes.

On the coast, though, it's a different story.  Gulf Shore Blvd. is basically a river right now.

And prayers and good thoughts going out to those in North Fort Myers.  That's an older, poorer area, and they're getting this thing right up the ass.

MDS

what are the chances mar a lago is destroyed

better yet can the entire state fall into the ocean (except for romey and geo of course, stay safe fellas)
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Quote from: MDS on September 28, 2022, 04:07:40 PM
what are the chances mar a lago is destroyed

I've never wished for anything this much.