The Weather Thread

Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

Tragic. Praying for big brother.

smeags

floods are one thing, but when you start dealing with broken fence posts ? shtein got real.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

General_Failure

Power's back on, winds and rain are gone, and my internet's back up. Truly this is a 9/11 miracle.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

Had a relative check out the house today.  Apparently any damage to the house was minimal.  No apparent roof or window damage.  No water near the house.  Branches everywhere, but no trees down.  We are down one mailbox.  May be without power for up to several weeks (after Wilma, we had power back within 48 hours).

We'll probably stay in Georgia until Wednesday or Thursday, depending on reports of roads, traffic and gas availability.

Feeling thankful and fortunate.

Rome

Exactly three gas stations were open today in the area.  No restaurants, no supermarkets, nada.  7/8ths of the FPL customers in the county were without power.   That's worse than any other storm ever.   Not sure why exactly.  This thing was a popcorn fart compared to Matthew, yet here we are. 

I fired up the genny so we have AC and a fridge.  I can run more shtein but I won't bother. 

Diomedes

Quote from: General_Failure on September 11, 2017, 08:41:23 PMTruly this is a 9/11 miracle.

I am stealing this.  Expect royalties never.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Tomahawk

Quote from: General_Failure on September 11, 2017, 11:38:17 AM
Power went out, but we've got the generator going. Pool needs to be drained again, I really should have just drained out two feet to start with. 20 year old untreated fence posts snapped, so I'm without a gate to the back yard. The good thing about that is I'll be able to pull the rest out by hand and just drop a new post in whenever this wind dies down.

Even in dumbfarg Florida, this can't be up to code

Eagaholic

Quote from: Rome on September 11, 2017, 09:12:32 PM
Exactly three gas stations were open today in the area.  No restaurants, no supermarkets, nada.  7/8ths of the FPL customers in the county were without power.   That's worse than any other storm ever.   Not sure why exactly.  This thing was a popcorn fart compared to Matthew, yet here we are. 

I fired up the genny so we have AC and a fridge.  I can run more shtein but I won't bother. 

glad you got through relatively unscathed. My parents house is just a few miles north on the intercoastal and it got trashed,  about three feet of flooding from what I've heard. I don't expect it's an easy  salvage. Ps are snowbirds not due down for another month.

General_Failure

Quote from: Tomahawk on September 11, 2017, 11:51:54 PM
Quote from: General_Failure on September 11, 2017, 11:38:17 AM
Power went out, but we've got the generator going. Pool needs to be drained again, I really should have just drained out two feet to start with. 20 year old untreated fence posts snapped, so I'm without a gate to the back yard. The good thing about that is I'll be able to pull the rest out by hand and just drop a new post in whenever this wind dies down.

Even in dumbfarg Florida, this can't be up to code

Probably not? The dirt is like 99% sand, and nothing is cemented in, so I'm not putting going to any more effort than whatever zesty company installed the fence in the first place.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Geowhizzer

We're still at my parents.  We want to try to start home tomorrow, but are looking at the gas shortages and possible flooding of I-75 that may cut us off.

I just want to get home and assess things myself.  People who checked my house think everything looks fine, but I won't be fully settled until I can see it with my own eyes.

Officially at least, my school district is still starting back up on Monday.  With most of the schools lacking power, several schools still being used as shelters and many teachers and families still evacuated, that could be tough.  The neighboring district (the one I actually live in) is targeting next Wednesday.

With the lack of power and utilities slated to last possibly until the end of next week, if we do head home tomorrow, it may be awhile before I can post again after we leave.

It's been a hell of a year!  Fires, floods, hurricanes and Trump.

MDS

if you dont watch the eagles on sunday youre not a real fan

just a heads up
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Geowhizzer on September 13, 2017, 09:57:29 PM
We're still at my parents.  We want to try to start home tomorrow, but are looking at the gas shortages and possible flooding of I-75 that may cut us off.

I just want to get home and assess things myself.  People who checked my house think everything looks fine, but I won't be fully settled until I can see it with my own eyes.

Officially at least, my school district is still starting back up on Monday.  With most of the schools lacking power, several schools still being used as shelters and many teachers and families still evacuated, that could be tough.  The neighboring district (the one I actually live in) is targeting next Wednesday.

With the lack of power and utilities slated to last possibly until the end of next week, if we do head home tomorrow, it may be awhile before I can post again after we leave.

It's been a hell of a year!  Fires, floods, hurricanes and Trump.

Good luck - hopefully you had minimal damage as reports suggest. The no power thing is a real bitch. We were without it for a little over a week after Ike and it is not fun.

Rome

You've gotta be shteinting me. 

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

i like the one model that directly hits over philly
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.