Started by ice grillin you, January 17, 2009, 12:36:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 04, 2016, 06:55:45 AM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 04, 2016, 06:27:55 AM
Doesn't matter if the center/eye doesn't hit land

link?

Really?  Are you this damned obstinate?  Look at any hurricane map, like below:

If you're in the red, you're getting hurricane force winds, even if the eye doesn't go directly over you.

If you're in the yellow, you're getting tropical force winds.

Yes, the winds are  highest right around the eye, but can still be devastating a fair distance from the eye.  The local weather guy is forecasting wind gusts up to 40 mph for us - which would be tropical storm force winds.  On the west coast of Florida.

See for yourself.

Obviously, if the eye stays 100+ miles offshore, it'll be a much better day for Rome (and I'll get very little).  But the eye will not actually have to cross Florida to wreak havoc on the coastal regions.  If it's 25-50 miles offshore, there will be hurricane force winds and possibly major flooding in those areas.  From there, the further away, the better.

Rome

The wind field in this motherfarger is enormous.   They're shteinting their pants at EOC right now.   We're out of here regardless on Thursday. 

ice grillin you

Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 04, 2016, 07:27:34 AM
Quote from: ice grillin you on October 04, 2016, 06:55:45 AM
Quote from: Geowhizzer on October 04, 2016, 06:27:55 AM
Doesn't matter if the center/eye doesn't hit land

link?

Really?  Are you this damned obstinate?  Look at any hurricane map, like below:

If you're in the red, you're getting hurricane force winds, even if the eye doesn't go directly over you.

If you're in the yellow, you're getting tropical force winds.

Yes, the winds are  highest right around the eye, but can still be devastating a fair distance from the eye.  The local weather guy is forecasting wind gusts up to 40 mph for us - which would be tropical storm force winds.  On the west coast of Florida.

See for yourself.

Obviously, if the eye stays 100+ miles offshore, it'll be a much better day for Rome (and I'll get very little).  But the eye will not actually have to cross Florida to wreak havoc on the coastal regions.  If it's 25-50 miles offshore, there will be hurricane force winds and possibly major flooding in those areas.  From there, the further away, the better.

omg i cant believe you spent the last two posts writing 2500 words on some elementary school weather shtein...even willard scott knew that wind and rain project outside the eye of a hurricane...and actually i dont know if you know this but in the atual eye is the calmest part of the storm!!

Quote from: Rome on October 04, 2016, 07:35:56 AM

i dont blame you for leaving if you want to be super cautious but its going to be fine...remember 99% of storms are much less impact than most weather forecasters and officials predict cause a. they want people to take it seriously and b. the more catastrophic they predict it to be the more tv viewers they attract
The wind field in this motherfarger is enormous.   They're shteinting their pants at EOC right now.   We're out of here regardless on Thursday. 
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

This bitch is gonna tear this place up.  Palm Coast is dead in its path.  Just saying...

ice grillin you

florida itself could sink into the ocean i suppose...but whatever ends up happening please dont ever again go to weather.com for anything weather related

and again i know people like to flip out and think the worst on these things....its what america does...whether its y2k ebola or a hurricane...i tend to side with underreaction

Rome

That's nice.  And WU is projecting the same.   I'm hopeful that it turns east but it's not looking good.  As a result we're out. 

ice grillin you

newest ECMWF which nailed the last 24 hours of the storm now how matthew way more inland....even a few tracks has it over the west coast of the state

QB Eagles

The eye is back out over open water, at least until it gets to Cuba later today. Interaction with the Tiburon Peninsula hasn't done much to disrupt the storm so far.

ice grillin you

the kingston jamaica update showed it had zero wind shear...nothing is weakening it in the next 24-36 hrs and its very possible it could reach cat 5 status around the bahamas because of favorable conditions there

hbionic

Out of all of this, I continue to be impressed at the depth of weather knowledge you all possess.

I guess to my defense, it's nice not to ever have to give a farg about the weather ever.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

ice grillin you

wow look at the chunk haiti took out of matty

General_Failure

Quote from: hbionic on October 04, 2016, 10:39:11 AM
Out of all of this, I continue to be impressed at the depth of weather knowledge you all possess.

I guess to my defense, it's nice not to ever have to give a farg about the weather ever.

Sorry, couldn't hear you over having all my faucets running.

The man. The myth. The legend.

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Rome

I would rather endure hurricanes than earthquakes any day.  The Earth liquefying under my feet is a deal breaker for this mofo.

Geowhizzer

Quote from: ice grillin you on October 04, 2016, 08:12:05 AM
omg i cant believe you spent the last two posts writing 2500 words on some elementary school weather shtein...even willard scott knew that wind and rain project outside the eye of a hurricane...and actually i dont know if you know this but in the atual eye is the calmest part of the storm!!

Evidently, your counting is about as stellar as your capitalization.  No wonder you work for the government.

And I never assume you actually know anything.  You do have a 10+ year track record here.

Be safe, Rome and GF.