We're All Gonna Die

Started by Geowhizzer, March 07, 2020, 10:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SD

Unrealistic utopia that prolongs the problem

Diomedes

Look up utopia, I think you don't know what the word means.

The dystopia I describe is our best case hope, and it's preferable to the holocaust you would embrace.  Had we hospitals that run for the protection and care of health rather than for the collection of wealth, this hell would not take so long to wade through.  Had we leadership, etc. etc.

But we don't. 

So we can either hunker down, grit our teeth, take it on the chin for a year or two, and save tens of thousands of lives (my way) or we can follow the Trump/ SD plan, best summed up as, devil take the hindmost.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

SD

Oh I'm definitely right:

u·to·pi·a
/yo͞oˈtōpēə/
noun
an imagined place or state of things in which everything is perfect.
"misplaced faith in political utopias has led to ruin"

Our plans aren't much different you'd just rather paint my plan as extreme because that's what you do

Munson

Quote from: AO1 on May 06, 2020, 05:35:09 AM
The federal government is interested, they passed a $2.6 trillion stimulus, ordered stay at home, closed businesses, made wearing masks mandatory...hell even dum dum was giving a nightly press conference. The cats already out of the bag. Containment is impossible. SK started early and had it somewhat under control. Saying we should be like them makes no sense because our situations aren't comparable. Aside from mass testing (no complaints here) you either shut it down and wait it out only to have it spread later or get it over with now.

The Fed gov actually did none of those things. The CDC issued guidelines but the Admin has taken a hands off approach and left it to states and localities to enforce what they want, which is of course stupid.

Also the stimulus was pretty trash and wasn't meant to sustain a long, true, quarantine. 3-9 months of monthly income, suspension of rent/mortgage, etc. These ideas were proposed and would actually make it possible to shelter in place longer.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on May 06, 2020, 07:51:15 AM
Quote from: General_Failure on May 05, 2020, 02:24:23 PM
You mean other than Reagan with the whole AIDS thing?

almost any president j edgar hoover worked under did worse things

the tuskegee experiments went on for like 50 years

oh and there was that whole slavery thing

We weren't talking about worse things, we were talking about total abdication of your responsibilities of governing and leadership.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Munson

General_Failure

Everyone who's a big baby and bored at home should be allowed to fill out a form to waive all rights to treatment for them and their families if and when they get the virus. Anyone outside without this form or paperwork signifying they're an essential worker should be considered a biological terrorist and shot on sight by the police. You know those guys are super bummed about the number of people they haven't been able to shoot the last few months, throw them a bone.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SD

Quote from: Munson on May 06, 2020, 11:44:37 AM
Quote from: AO1 on May 06, 2020, 05:35:09 AM
The federal government is interested, they passed a $2.6 trillion stimulus, ordered stay at home, closed businesses, made wearing masks mandatory...hell even dum dum was giving a nightly press conference. The cats already out of the bag. Containment is impossible. SK started early and had it somewhat under control. Saying we should be like them makes no sense because our situations aren't comparable. Aside from mass testing (no complaints here) you either shut it down and wait it out only to have it spread later or get it over with now.

The Fed gov actually did none of those things. The CDC issued guidelines but the Admin has taken a hands off approach and left it to states and localities to enforce what they want, which is of course stupid.

Also the stimulus was pretty trash and wasn't meant to sustain a long, true, quarantine. 3-9 months of monthly income, suspension of rent/mortgage, etc. These ideas were proposed and would actually make it possible to shelter in place longer.

Governors fall under the same category as the federal government. If you're talking leg/exec branch I'd rather be subject to the guidance of Wolf/Cuomo etc. than I would the orange moron. Not sure why you're so willing to give total control to Trump.

I was against the stimulus altogether so no argument from me. Instead of delaying rent/mortgage 3 months and having to be paid in full at the end of. 90 days: mortgage payments should be tacked on and extended to the end of the mortgage for those that want to opt in, for rent the amount should be prorated over the course of the rest of the rental agreement. Expecting a lump sum after 90 days makes zero sense.

Munson

Governors are part of state governments not Fed so no they don't count as the federal government. That's why some of them are just deciding to do the opposite of what the CDC is saying to do.

No I don't like Trump having control either but CDC suggestions being mandated and having the weight of the federal government behind them gets a lot more people to take them seriously and increases the chances of actual enforcement. CDC and medical experts should be running the show and having a uniform policy across the country gives you A much better chance of actually lowering infection rates than having one state do something and having the state next to it shrug its shoulders and not care.

The idea of stimulus isn't bad, just the way they did it was. Makes no sense to do a one time payment and then try to shift the burden of the biggest part of the bailout to state Unemployment offices that have been chronically underfunded for decades now being expected to handle claim loads they never had to before.

Munson

Geowhizzer

MDS

i hope they open up disneyland but none of the workers marganissi doesnt give one iota of a farg about - janitors, laborers, parking attendants, security guards, stand workers, the dude who plays goofy, etc - show up

so go to disneyland. wait in never ending lines because only 3 rides are open. only 1 works because the people who safety check them are gone. theres trash everywhere because your janitors arent there. and theres no food. and only one toilet works. because. no janitor.

have fun
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

SD

Disneyland's in California, disneyworld is in Florida...duh

MDS

you should go to one of those open my state rallies, meet some cool people and see what happens
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

phattymatty

Quote from: Munson on May 06, 2020, 03:37:28 PM
https://twitter.com/mattyglesias/status/1258104480534495233

Can't be eliminated.

low population density in Hong Kong?  is he making a joke?  I'm confused.