Game of Thrones

Started by Diomedes, February 24, 2013, 07:52:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eagles_Legendz

Elia and Rhaegar married and the Martells were pretty loyal.  Not sure anyone, them included, were huge fans of Aerys as he was getting increasingly more crazy but they showed up at the trident to fight with Rhaegar.

hbionic

Ha, I can barely keep up. How do you guys remember so much, all the names?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Munson

They also were pretty upset with Rhaegar for giving the rose to Lyanna at the one tourney though. IDK....since I haven't read ahead, I really don't have a read on them and their thoughts on everything since they aren't around at all in the first two books.

Quote from: hbionic on April 16, 2013, 06:54:14 PM

that website, towerofthehand.com, has been essential for me. When I'm farging around on the internet and bored, I'll go there and just look at shtein. I'm also very good with maps, so after looking at a map of Westeros a few times, I have a pretty good idea where everything is/what it's called.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Quote from: hbionic on April 16, 2013, 06:54:14 PM

It's easier with book background.  Plus I am somewhat obsessed with asoiaf.  It's my favorite book series & Jaime is one of my favorite fictional characters ever so I know far more than I should about all this.  Like I said though I'll try to limit anything to background info or stuff discussed already in the show.

hbionic

The intro refreshes things for me. Plus, what is cool is that the intro shows the places that will be involved in an episode. Makes it even more exciting.

Quote from: Eagles_Legendz on April 16, 2013, 06:58:55 PM

It's easier with book background.  Plus I am somewhat obsessed with asoiaf.  It's my favorite book series & Jaime is one of my favorite fictional characters ever so I know far more than I should about all this.  Like I said though I'll try to limit anything to background info or stuff discussed already in the show.

No sweat, just a great story and series. The background info helps, so thanks for that.
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Eagles_Legendz

Don't get me wrong, Im not saying the Martells are Targ loyalists - they aren't & they're completely self motivated.  All I was saying is we haven't met them yet and they're unique because they were never conquered.

Munson

hbionic, the best thing about towerofthehand.com is you can set it so that spoilers aren't revealed to you. It asks how many books you've read and how many seasons of the show you watched, so it'll spoiler tag everything that isn't from your scope, while still giving you the background info from the books that is useful and not spoilers (ie the whole Rhaegar making a pass at Ned's sister in front of everyone even though Rhaegar was already married to the Dornish princess)

Edit-And, at this point, you can pretty much lie to the website and say you read the first two books because there really isn't all that much left from those two that hasn't been revealed yet. From what my girl tells me, the only stuff that's in book 2 that wasn't shown in the show yet is what really went down with Winterfell being burned to the ground, and some stuff with Dany still.
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Eagles_Legendz

Munson is right, if you're curious use the towerofthehand website.  It lets you set how many books you've read in a drop down menu so it blocks all spoilers past that.  I wouldn't ever google anything about the show or read any comments anywhere because people spoil everything.  That website is safe though and helpful.  So is HBO's guide that I think I posted in this thread.

Munson

Loved pretty much everything up until Craster's Keep, at which point I immediately hated everything. Then loved everything at the end.

But all the plotting with Lady Olenna/Varys and all...love it.

Also glad that Tywin is a huge dick to Cersi, and stated that he'll put Joffery in his place. Will highly enjoy watching that if/when it happens.

SD

Great episode...best of the season so far.

I had a pretty good feeling that's how the Daenerys/unsullied/dragon story line was going to play out and it was still awesome to see it unfold.

One of my favorite characters is Olena Tyrell. The actor who plays her is outstanding. The way she gets Margaery to manipulate Joffrey and Cersei's reaction is priceless.

What's the deal with Varys? Did he have his junk chopped off?

Here's a deleted scene from season 2 which would help set up tonights exchange between Olena and Varys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WsuxUkVY20

Munson

Yeah he's a eunuch, aka he had his balls and dick chopped off. Though I think people in westeros assumed it was some sort of custom from wherever he was from and had no idea that it happened the way he explained it tonight.

Munson

Also I thought I remembered that scene being included in the actual episode, not deleted....Littlefinger is definitely a power hungry mofo. I didn't realize until tonight though where they were going with him and Sansa until they pretty much said it.

Eagles_Legendz

Conleth Hill does a really good job as Varys.

The end scene was really well done.  Looks like they upped the CGI budget even from Blackwater with some of those zoom out shots.

Eagaholic

A couple of things were curious to me. What is the deal with the plan to marry Sansa off to Lorus? Other than him not being suitable for marriage, I thought the plan was for Lorus to go to the King's Guard to keep an eye out and protect Margaery from Joffrey. Are they suddenly that confident he won't turn on her? I wondered what Margaery really thought about Joffrey's considering gay secks punishable by death (last weeks episode) and if that might play into the new plan to marry Lorus to Sansa. It still doesn't make a lot of sense unless keeping Little Finger out of Winterfell is more important, or maybe just the Tyrell's getting Winterfell for themselves if Robb dies.

The other thing I still don't get is what is the deal with the dude who set Theon "free"? Last week I didn't buy that he was sent by Yara. It didn't make sense when he was helping Theon up after shooting the riders and he both addressed Theon as "my lord" and also said "winter is coming." One is Iron Island and the other is Stark (and it is dubious that anyone from the Islands would recognize Theon as lord anyway). But if he is Bolton, why would he shoot the riders chasing Theon?

The mystery of who burned Winterfell seemed to be answered when Theon said something like "I burned it all," just before going into the dungeon.

Lastly, the biggest mystery of all - what did Pod do?! Glad to see some comic relief, the show needs more of it.

Eagles_Legendz

With everyone assuming Bran & Rickon (and Arya) are dead, Sansa becomes a pretty important bargaining chip.  If Robb is killed in the war, Sansa becomes heir to Winterfell, so it would be a way of extending Tyrell influence North.  Whether there's altruistic reasons for it as well (meaning whether or not the Tyrell's are more compassionate) is up for debate.