What are you listening to?

Started by MURP, September 17, 2004, 12:41:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diomedes

If i recall, Hendrix, who was a lefty, played upside down righty guitars.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Zanshin

Correct. Tough to watch and learn, because it's inverted.

Diomedes

Has he shown any interest in piano, or music theory at all?  Can he read music?
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Munson

Yeah I'd push piano next. Great talent to have. Really wish I could go back and take lessons.
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

General_Failure

Plus with piano you can make him use a hand stretcher while he cries about how much it hurts.

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

I just finished watching Whiplash and it took me back to my jazz band days and makes me wish I would've pursued it more.

If he can read music it's a plus but if not then he will learn in band in school if he takes it. Music theory too. I farged off in my MT class but even the bit that I paid attention to was helpful.

Having an ear to hear it or see it and then play it without music is talent.

Diomedes

Zanshin

Quote from: Diomedes on April 03, 2015, 08:29:52 PM
Has he shown any interest in piano, or music theory at all?  Can he read music?

He's interested in piano. He wanted a better keyboard for Christmas, and I found a great deal on an 88 weighted key that he loves. He picked it up pretty quickly, I guess because he transposes it from guitar. He likes it for writing songs. He's started reading music over the last two months. We're pretty fortunate that they value music in our school District. They use him for a lot of events and the teachers have been great.

Diomedes

Wow, great.  Strikes me that you're wicked lucky.  I'd be overf'njoyed if one of my kids developed such an interest in art.  Instead, I'm going to have some lunkhead jock kid who want to rape drugged girls and drink keystone light.

Zanshin

Well, he wasn't bad at football, but only because he's pretty strong. He's a pretty average athlete and he knows it. Gave up football because it was such a huge time commitment. Still tools around with baseball and soccer, mostly just to play with kids and run around. So when he found music and that it made sense to him, he was all in. I'm for whatever makes him happy.

But, yeah, definitely feel like this is a good thing for him and it's been fun for the family. Cool to get out and meet people we wouldn't otherwise meet.

Zanshin

Since we were talking about it, I thought this was cool. The kid is playing a show this weekend with a band, and they had a rehearsal last night. Also playing is a guy who had a really old Les Paul Goldtop. My son hit it off with the guy, and the guy let Jake play the Goldtop. Wish I got a picture of it-- turns out the guy was a good friend of Les Paul's, and the guitar was an original Goldtop that Les Paul himself played. Worth hundreds of thousands of dollars. Lucky kid. He's playing with the guy again on Friday and Saturday, so I'll try to get some pics then. Just thought that was a cool story.

Diomedes

I'm on a heavy Fleetwood Mac jag.  Never really given them the time of day on account of over-saturation of their hits from growing up white and being subjected to thousands of hours of 'classic rock' radio on the job, on the road, etc.

Point is, they were a truly great farging band. The shtein that isn't played on the radio is gold.  It might take me a year or so to really go through it all and get my head around their catalog.

Some stuff is just sitting there in plain view, waiting for you to take the time to look under the surface and there are rewards for doing it.

Rome

Groupon had noise canceling Beats earbud headphones for $49.95 last week.  I had a $10 coupon so $40.  They are not bad at all.  Nowhere near as precise as the Bose pair I have but darn good especially at 60% off.

Zanshin

Thought this was a cool story. I could be wrong. Anyway, my kid was asked to perform a few songs with some of Les Paul's friends for a 100th Birthday Celebration last night. I'm proud of the kid, but I legitimately think this is a pretty cool story. I'm also obviously biased, so it might not be cool. You be the judge.

Long story short, he played a different show with a personal friend of Les's a couple of months ago, and the guy really liked him...so, after they played together a few more times, the guy asked Jake to do this special night. It was a bunch of professional musicians and a newly-minted 11 year old. Nice honor for him that he appreciated.

Anyway, here's a little clip. He didn't want to put it on his YouTube channel for some reason, so it's a link to my Facebook page. I know most of you on there anyway, so whatever. The usual caveats apply: Yes, I understand he's not great at the moment. Yes, he has a ton to learn. But...nice memory for him, for sure.

https://www.facebook.com/gthistle/videos/vb.696057747/10153359558597748/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_comment

PhillyPhreak54

Holy shtein that's cool. Good for him.