Why Message Boards Are Funny As Hell (And Why Humanity Should Be Eradicated).

Started by Rome, June 19, 2008, 10:55:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

QuoteHello,

I'm sending this pm to all the mods because I have an issue that I would like addressed. I appreciate the time you take, and know that you must get a flood of pm's But I feel this is important.

I understand how heated topics like religion and politics can get. I know the risk I run if I start a thread about it. I also am aware that there are many people on the boards who take pleasure in stirring up trouble, fishing, bashing or mocking people, etc.

I have heard responses from a couple of you explaining your stance on closing or deleting threads. I understand and that's fair. One answer was that if a thread title is offensive, you might close it without reading it. I also realize that some threads that start out fine have to be closed or deleted because one or more posters ruined it by severely breaking the rules.

I do have a couple of problems/complaints though. First, sometimes there are really good discussions in threads, and if it gets deleted, I can't go back and read the discussion, or see any posts that I missed. I subscribe to topics and get emails that someone replied to me, and I might be at work or busy and then once I come back to the topic, it's deleted and I can't see the conversation anymore. If it's simply closed or locked, then at least I can see it. I understand if some material is not allowed. But, why not just delete that and leave the rest of the thread alone? I know you can't comb every thread and every post, and I understand that there are times when it's simply easier for you to just lock or delete the thread. My thread I started for Christians only, to discuss the Christian faith, was going really well and there was pleasant discussion, and then some people who hate religion came in and ruined it, along with someone who claimed to be a Christian and was fighting with them. The thread was closed. I know that if I try to start another such thread, that the same thing will happen: some will go in and say "I'm an idiot" or advise me that I shouldn't start religion threads (despite What's Up being a forum for any topic), and some will support, and some will bash with hate speech.

Do the mods use a double standard in dealing with religion? I've seen threads that are completely bashing, mocking and totally offensive towards religion, the Bible, etc. not get closed and go on. I know that you would not delete or close a thread simply about religion, only when it gets ugly. But, can't you recognize that there are certain people who are the repeat offenders? My Christian faith thread was destroyed by a handful of people who were being completely offensive, hateful, insulting, and breaking many of the rules and regs of the boards. Why don't you warn them? Suspend them? I've seen people get suspended for much less. If you issue warnings or suspensions, that might deter them from doing that. There were people in my thread about the Christian faith who were in complete violation of several rules and regulations. Do you treat What's Up regulars differently? "Oh, that's so and so at it again." That's not fair. If you are in direct violation of the rules (and multiples rules at that), there should be warnings and suspensions.

I know that one of you mods happens to be one of the people that I'm talking about. One of you broke the rules and were proudly and purposefully promoting hate, insults, and attacking other people's religious beliefs. I would expect a mod to also uphold the rules under their regular screenname. It's really wrong and disrespectful; to your role as a mod, to the integrity of the rules of the board, and unfair to others who try to follow the rules.

Also note: the majority of "religious" threads that are started, are usually anti-religion. People who hate religion and mock it, make offensive insults and claims, and then a religious person begins to defend their views, and then are attacked. I started a thread so that Christians could post away and preach all they want and not bother anyone and anti-religious people full of hate went in and ruined it. They should be dealt with. I hope that as mods you will do a better job of recognizing the repeat offenders and warning or suspending them. And if a mod is allowed to spew hate and offensive speech and break the rules, then that is a horrible example and should be dealt with as well.

Thanks for your time.

I know I occasionally advocate for the wholesale incineration of the human race and some (or none or all... whatever) of you question whether or not I'm engaged in hyperbolic masturbation, but seriously, does not the post above validate my suggestion that humanity should be excised from the face of the Earth - and sooner rather than later?

Other than my continued presence, is there a better example of why humanity should be erased from existence than this?

BigEd76

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Father Demon

The drawback to marital longevity is your wife always knows when you're really interested in her and when you're just trying to bury it.

Geowhizzer

So, just how much ARE you drinking tonight, Rome?

Also, the picture of Sarge lapping booze from the parking lot belongs here.

Susquehanna Birder

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

LBIggle

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

ice grillin you

Quote from: Rome on June 19, 2008, 10:55:27 PM
Hello,

I'm sending this pm to all the mods because I have an issue that I would like addressed. I appreciate the time you take, and know that you must get a flood of pm's But I feel this is important.

I understand how heated topics like religion and politics can get. I know the risk I run if I start a thread about it. I also am aware that there are many people on the boards who take pleasure in stirring up trouble, fishing, bashing or mocking people, etc.

I have heard responses from a couple of you explaining your stance on closing or deleting threads. I understand and that's fair. One answer was that if a thread title is offensive, you might close it without reading it. I also realize that some threads that start out fine have to be closed or deleted because one or more posters ruined it by severely breaking the rules.

I do have a couple of problems/complaints though. First, sometimes there are really good discussions in threads, and if it gets deleted, I can't go back and read the discussion, or see any posts that I missed. I subscribe to topics and get emails that someone replied to me, and I might be at work or busy and then once I come back to the topic, it's deleted and I can't see the conversation anymore. If it's simply closed or locked, then at least I can see it. I understand if some material is not allowed. But, why not just delete that and leave the rest of the thread alone? I know you can't comb every thread and every post, and I understand that there are times when it's simply easier for you to just lock or delete the thread. My thread I started for Christians only, to discuss the Christian faith, was going really well and there was pleasant discussion, and then some people who hate religion came in and ruined it, along with someone who claimed to be a Christian and was fighting with them. The thread was closed. I know that if I try to start another such thread, that the same thing will happen: some will go in and say "I'm an idiot" or advise me that I shouldn't start religion threads (despite What's Up being a forum for any topic), and some will support, and some will bash with hate speech.

Do the mods use a double standard in dealing with religion? I've seen threads that are completely bashing, mocking and totally offensive towards religion, the Bible, etc. not get closed and go on. I know that you would not delete or close a thread simply about religion, only when it gets ugly. But, can't you recognize that there are certain people who are the repeat offenders? My Christian faith thread was destroyed by a handful of people who were being completely offensive, hateful, insulting, and breaking many of the rules and regs of the boards. Why don't you warn them? Suspend them? I've seen people get suspended for much less. If you issue warnings or suspensions, that might deter them from doing that. There were people in my thread about the Christian faith who were in complete violation of several rules and regulations. Do you treat What's Up regulars differently? "Oh, that's so and so at it again." That's not fair. If you are in direct violation of the rules (and multiples rules at that), there should be warnings and suspensions.

I know that one of you mods happens to be one of the people that I'm talking about. One of you broke the rules and were proudly and purposefully promoting hate, insults, and attacking other people's religious beliefs. I would expect a mod to also uphold the rules under their regular screenname. It's really wrong and disrespectful; to your role as a mod, to the integrity of the rules of the board, and unfair to others who try to follow the rules.

Also note: the majority of "religious" threads that are started, are usually anti-religion. People who hate religion and mock it, make offensive insults and claims, and then a religious person begins to defend their views, and then are attacked. I started a thread so that Christians could post away and preach all they want and not bother anyone and anti-religious people full of hate went in and ruined it. They should be dealt with. I hope that as mods you will do a better job of recognizing the repeat offenders and warning or suspending them. And if a mod is allowed to spew hate and offensive speech and break the rules, then that is a horrible example and should be dealt with as well.

Thanks for your time.

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Wingspan

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Zanshin

Quote from: ice grillin you on June 20, 2008, 08:21:36 AM
Quote from: MadMarchHare on June 19, 2008, 10:32:46 PM
What the farg would you know about Raging Bull, IGY?  It's in black and white and "unwatchable".

i actually have it on dvd...its an extremely well made and acted movie one of the best ever in that respsect...its just not very watchable

reese125