Around the NFL - 2019

Started by MDS, February 11, 2019, 12:38:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QB Eagles

Quote from: phattymatty on February 02, 2020, 12:13:44 PM
what does 17 game schedule mean, 18 weeks and a bye or no bye weeks?  and how would you even do an odd number of games when it comes to home/away?

At least one bye. How they handle home/away is presumably up for negotiation; I've read the league would ideally want one game played out-of-market for both teams to try to grow the overall league popularity. Could be a tire fire if they don't handle it right.

The news sites are reporting 2021 at the earliest for the 17 game season, not sure where little guy is getting next season.

The worst part from a fan perspective is the extra playoff game, and of course that's the part the NFL wants to implement immediately.

MDS

Quote• If there is an agreement in place before the new league year in March, the new deal would take effect immediately for the 2020 season, bumping up the players' share of revenues immediately under a 16-game format.

this is what im basing it off. maybe the 17 gamer is illogical on this short notice. 7 playoff teams per conference def. isnt.

what would happen is 1 extra bye week and 1 neutral site game. think more european cities, mexico, brazil, perhaps tokyo. theres north american places that could host too, like canton or toronto. maybe they stick a game in vegas because why not.

the biggest thing this does is draw out the season by 2 more weeks so there is less terrible sports downtime. february sucks and now itll be all nfl playoffs.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Never let it be said that the NFL won't farg up a good thing in the search for more money.

The man. The myth. The legend.

MDS

7 playoff teams happening this year

2021 (or 22)
17 games, 3 preseason

if they do a neutral 17th game and neutral preseason i am all the way IN
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

Everyone plays a preseason game in London, Mexico City, Montreal, or Tokyo from now on.

PhillyPhreak54

Expanding the playoffs is dumb

MDS

he says as he lines up a 6 team parlay next january

General_Failure

Look at this idiot not trying to squeeze every last ounce of profit out of the league before it inevitably collapses under a mountain of brain damage.

Diomedes

Quote from: MDS on February 19, 2020, 07:16:17 PM

lol...you can make money gambling
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

MDS

the playoff expansion is more or less ok. 7/16 is a better than the nba and nhl and 0 people complain about 8 teams making it in that. plus, i really like the elimination of the 2 seed bye. only 1 seed should get it.

the 2-7 games are mostly going to be snoozers. every once in a while youll get a good one. this year, gb-la wouldve been good. kc-pit would not. but heres the team from 1-11 on saturday and sunday on wc weekend - playoff football. complain away.

General_Failure

So do we get a Thrusday or Monday night wildcard game?

MDS

thursday, absolutely not

monday is possible and has been discussed. it would hamstring the divisional schedule a bit because the winner would have to then play sunday. espn would prefer a mnf wc game to what they have now on saturday. my guess would be, if its done, it would be done with the new tv deal. but id bet against it because theres too many variables at play in terms of hurting ratings maximization.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Diomedes on February 19, 2020, 07:24:01 PM

lol...you can make money gambling

I did. 🤷‍♂️

PhillyPhreak54

Wouldn't it be a seven teamer, Goodell apologist?

Diomedes

completely agree that only the 1 seed should enjoy a week of rest
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger