the random musings not worthy of new thread thread

Started by ice grillin you, March 28, 2006, 02:06:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

As long as they weren't demanding he do it barefoot and lotion up his feet, I guess.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Zanshin

Quote from: TAFKASD on July 28, 2021, 03:43:40 PM
Quote from: Zanshin on July 28, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: TAFKASD on July 28, 2021, 03:07:05 PM
You're braver than I am no way I'm going into deep woods Oklahoma unless I'm armed. Out of curiosity and you're obviously under no obligation to answer this but what does he get on average for a gig?

Pfft. We were in the comfort of NJ. They bought a bunch of speakers, screens and gear for him to do a live feed from NJ so they could stream it there. For that gig, he got $750. What he usually gets depends on the gig. Unless he's traveling far, it's more like $100 an hour with a two hour minimum for local private things. Bars depend more on what kind of place, but he'll usually get about $300 for a few hours at those...but if he's with a band or something, they're splitting it...so playing solo makes a lot of sense. Bigger events based around music, like festivals, are more. Then again, he could just randomly go live on Facebook and make $500 in tips on a random night. Actually, Facebook is paying him a $500 bonus to go live for ten hours this month, just because. So, it's all over the place...but it's definitely been a good job for him...he's saved more than most people would think; probably more than most adults have in the bank, for better or worse...six figures in the bank, which isn't a bad start at 17. He's not a spender, other than some gear here and there. I wish I'd had that kind of cushion at his age (and most ages).

That's pretty amazing at his age. My friends looking for a band for a party either in August or for Labor Day weekend (Bucks County). The bands he gets are fine and do good covers (Fish out of water and our friends brother plays in Sidearm). Pool parties are usually around 50 people and a mix of kids an adults. If you don't mind I'm gonna send him some of your sons stuff to see if he's interested.

Are teenage girls beating down your door yet?

Sure, he plays Bucks County...he's get a lot of work because of those kinds of mixed audiences. Kids like him because he's a kid, but adults like the classic rock/Americana stuff. Here's some about him and references, if he's interested...and he could contact him there for availablity, etc. www.jakethistle.com/about

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: Zanshin on July 28, 2021, 03:36:51 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on July 28, 2021, 03:19:15 PM
lol at the Oklahoma story. The whole "sounds like a country song" came to life.

And great for him to be banking that kinda cash! He's positioning himself well. And with how good he is I'm sure it'll keep rolling in.

Tough to say, but if he can work it so that music is the only job he ever has, he'll try to do that in a smart way. But he'll be a Senior this year, so he'll have to make some college choices. He's positioned himself to have a lot of options; he'll graduate with the better part of a year's worth of college credits thanks to AP classes, he's high honor roll and he did very well on the SATs. He doesn't really want to go for music as he's already doing what he wants to do with that, but some schools are interested because of some things he's accomplished specifically in music. Like Yale...and if he gets into that program, it's endowed and free. So, I said if he can go to Yale for free...I don't care if it's in basketweaving, you do that and get a second major if he wants. But we'll see. He wants to go either near NYC so that he can be close to his own gear and gigs, or Nashville or LA where he has friends in the business whom could help him out. I'm really curious to see where he lands...I think it's one of those things where there are so many options it's overwhelming. But I keep telling him to just get his arms around it so it isn't hanging over his head all year. Who knows, really. The music business is a disaster, and while he's making great money for a 17 year old, it's not like he'd want to raise family on banking on bar cash or tips. So, I truly have no idea what happens from here.

The best thing is that he's positioned himself so well. Not just with his talent but with his schooling. A credit to you and your wife for helping him get to where he's got a lot of options. And also for him for still hanging away at the books and not just laying back on his talent.

Because as you said - entertainment industries are finicky and if a big deal never materialized no one wants to be that struggling artist.

If he goes to Yale and walks away with an ivy degree he's in a great spot to never have to pick up a guitar again if he didn't want to. Nashville is a natural destination if he decides to stick with the music. Either way - great job by him.

Munson

Quote from: Zanshin on July 28, 2021, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: TAFKASD on July 28, 2021, 03:07:05 PM
You're braver than I am no way I'm going into deep woods Oklahoma unless I'm armed. Out of curiosity and you're obviously under no obligation to answer this but what does he get on average for a gig?

Pfft. We were in the comfort of NJ. They bought a bunch of speakers, screens and gear for him to do a live feed from NJ so they could stream it there. For that gig, he got $750. What he usually gets depends on the gig. Unless he's traveling far, it's more like $100 an hour with a two hour minimum for local private things. Bars depend more on what kind of place, but he'll usually get about $300 for a few hours at those...but if he's with a band or something, they're splitting it...so playing solo makes a lot of sense. Bigger events based around music, like festivals, are more. Then again, he could just randomly go live on Facebook and make $500 in tips on a random night. Actually, Facebook is paying him a $500 bonus to go live for ten hours this month, just because. So, it's all over the place...but it's definitely been a good job for him...he's saved more than most people would think; probably more than most adults have in the bank, for better or worse...six figures in the bank, which isn't a bad start at 17. He's not a spender, other than some gear here and there. I wish I'd had that kind of cushion at his age (and most ages).

That's pretty amazing at his age. My friends looking for a band for a party either in August or for Labor Day weekend (Bucks County). The bands he gets are fine and do good covers (Fish out of water and our friends brother plays in Sidearm). Pool parties are usually around 50 people and a mix of kids an adults. If you don't mind I'm gonna send him some of your sons stuff to see if he's interested.

Just sent him this (first video that popped up on YouTube)

https://youtu.be/5krNGWoQxf4

They've played down in Dewey Beach a few times, I've heard them play some jams from my "era" of music like Blink and Taking Back Sunday. Pretty good band
Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

Diomedes

Got this job right now with an 1885-ish balloon framed house that, thanks to a decades(?)-long leaking exterior-mounted shtein pipe, is standing on air for 12 feet of a bearing wall from one corner in.  I've jacked the house up and underpinned it with shoring walls, etc., am just about finished making a tricky form for pouring a steel reinforced concrete cap over the rubble foundation wall so I can set a new plate where the sill beam that rotted away used to be, and then drop new studs onto it, sistering them to the old ones.  Plan is good, have an Engineer's stamped sketch to reassure me, etc.

Everything is great, it's a Friday, I'm good.

Until, sitting at home today waiting almost an hour past time for a video call with a doctor, I realize:  I should have put the material for the plate on the "inside" of my shoring wall.  Like, weeks ago.  I was so f'n pre-occupied figuring out how to do everything and which came first, and what's the horse and what's the cart, etc....I totally overlooked that I completely blocked myself.  I'm a bit farged. 

I have a work around, but it's not great.  One simple goddamn oversight in a very complicated procedure, which I've never done before.  I guess this is how you learn. 

Ugh.  I was about to have a nice weekend, now I'm gonna chew on this for the next four hours until I can go to sleep.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

where do you get buttons these days?....when i was a kid my mom or grandma would have four billion of them for some reason in a sewing box or some shtein...i need one for a pair of shorts...where do you buy them??
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Rome

ice grillin you

MDS

its right under where the inner labia meet, kinda forms a hood

i dont know youll figure it out
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

Diomedes

JoAnn's Fabric too....avoid Hobby Lobby...bunch of wackos
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

phattymatty

https://youtu.be/5krNGWoQxf4

wow man pretty cool.  I didn't realize he could sing too.  I'm sure you and him are already on it but get him on tiktok if he's not.  he'll get hundreds of thousands of followers pretty quick.

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: MDS on July 31, 2021, 04:51:33 PM
its right under where the inner labia meet, kinda forms a hood

i dont know youll figure it out

Lolol

ice grillin you

You are doing yourself a disservice if you aren't reading the Atlantic...they got shtein like this every issue...

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/09/twenty-years-gone-911-bobby-mcilvaine/619490/

Diomedes

getting a pretty good (unpleasant) education in insurance and exposure since I decided to establish a payroll and hire a guy legally, all required stuff....holy crap, I've been skating along with not enough liability coverage.  then there's workman's compensation, which I'm allowed to skip for myself as the principal, but I did not realize how exposed I was to workman's comp claims by subs or their "employees"

long story short:  make sure the contractor who works in your home is properly licensed, and get a COI from them that proves they have a robust policy, not just the minimum required by the state, and also that they have workman's compensation insurance...if they don't, and a dude falls off a ladder....bad news

Rome

Speaking of insanity, my next door neighbor hired some yutz to do some tree trimming.  Everything was all hunky dunky until he decided to come into my yard and start trimming my oak tree because the limbs encroached on my neighbor's yard. 

Not so fast, chief.  Off you go. 

I knocked on her door and explained that no one is to walk onto my property without my permission.  No one is to do work without a permit obtained from the city.  And no one who isn't licensed and insured is to come anywhere near my property.  Turns out he didn't have insurance, a license or a permit.  He was just some guy they knew with a farging chainsaw and a ladder.

I thought it was resolved until I came home later that day and found that all the tree limbs up to the property line we're gone.  I don't know how he did it but that 150 yr old oak was decimated on one side.  I was going hire a lawyer and sue their asses plus call the city and rat them all out, but farg it.  I don't need the hassle.