Political Hippo Circle Jerk - America, farg YEAH!

Started by PoopyfaceMcGee, December 11, 2006, 01:30:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Munson

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 01, 2008, 05:10:48 PM
perhaps you could explain sd's reasons for "disliking" it as well since you seem to be so in tune with other peoples minds

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

MDS

Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

The man. The myth. The legend.

PhillyPhreak54

Beer Bong Brett...loser.

https://twitter.com/mjs_dc/status/1320873994032205824 21

We have to crush the Cheeto. It cannot make it to a contested election status.

MDS

-end the filibuster
-add 100 new justices
-dc and pr statehood
-impeach kavanaugh

farg. this.
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

General_Failure

PhillyPhreak54

I'd like for them to stfu about that until they actually win the election. Win it and then talk about it and then ultimately do it.

Diomedes

I'm with you 'lil guy, but suggest the following adjustments to your wish list:

-end the filibuster
-add 4 new justices
-add 25 year term limits, with justices that age out on payroll for life as emeritus status, advisory role, etc.
-dc and pr statehood
-impeach kavanaugh  not worth the fight after you've put four liberals on the bench
-expand the House / "Wyoming" rule

all of that can be done without changing the Constitution.  In fantasy land, amend to kill the electoral College.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

General_Failure

I think the Electoral College is one that requires a majority of the states to do away with it first.

Diomedes

It would require an amendment to the Constitution, so yeah.  Fantasy land, that one.

All the rest could be done by Congress.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

Geowhizzer

Quote from: General_Failure on October 27, 2020, 09:40:55 AM
I think the Electoral College is one that requires a majority of the states to do away with it first.

For Constitutional Amendments, 2/3 of both houses of Congress and 3/4 ratification of the states.  A convention called by 2/3 of the states may also propose an amendment.

There's a movement in some states to allocate their Electoral College votes to the winner of the national vote.  If that takes root, there will definitely be a challenge in the Supreme Court.

Diomedes

Electoral college is a relic of slavery that the spiritual descendents of the slavers, currently called Republicans, are anxious to protect because it entrenches a system of minority rule.  Minority rule is of course their only hope. 

I would be amazed in my life to see it killed because the bar to change it is so high.

Geowhizzer

I simply can't see the smaller states giving up that power.  The Electoral College gives them a much stronger voice in elections than they would have in a national popular vote.

California's population is just shy of 40 million.  That makes about 12.1% of the US population of just over 331 million.
California has 55 electoral votes.  That makes 10.2% of the Electoral College of 538.

Wyoming's population is about 550K, or 0.1% of the U.S. population.
Wyoming has 3 electoral votes, or 0.55% of the Electoral College.

Doesn't sound like much, but it does add up.