Gearhead Thread

Started by Diomedes, January 25, 2007, 04:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mussa

draggin a willy's! badass pics
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Seabiscuit36

nice pics, who's the chick?
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

SD_Eagle5

The wife of one of the guys he races with

Some of these might be a repeat:

On the cover of Gasser Magazine:

My Grandpop racing in 65'

GP racing at Atco in 68'

Tomahawk

Awesome pics, SD.

So what kind of floor jacks do you guys have? The last two I've bought no longer work, and one of them was even a Craftsmen.

Diomedes

Craftsman is good for hand tools only.  If it doesn't have the lifetime guarantee, don't buy it.  If it's a power tool made by Crafstman, don't buy it.  Same goes for floor jacks, from what I hear.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

mussa

Craftsman is really more like middle of the road...there are better tools out there (SNAP-ON & MAC)
Official Sponsor of The Fire Andy Reid Club
"We be plundering the High Sequence Seas For the hidden Treasures of Conservation"

Diomedes

Sure, but they are great about the guarantee and there are a bazillion Sears stores making it easy to replace a busted tool whenever I need to, so they get most of my hand tool business.  The Snap On stuff I have are some of my most prized possessions, but they are so goddamned expensive that I only have a few.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhanInDC

Trust me on this, Snap-on and MAC tools are only worth the money if you have them in your hands everyday. They put of a lot of stock into ergonomics, etc., which make them easier on your hands over a 40+ hour week. They are also so bulletproof because you as a mechanic or body man make your living with them, they've gotta work. Because of that, you get an unbelievable tool, at a premium price. I have the set I bought on my first job, over a decade later, never a problem.

Since I don't do that work for a living anymore, it makes no sense for me to pay the extra bucks. I just don't use them enough (and I use them more than the average Joe) for it to make any sense. In addition to Sears, the Home Depot's brand, Husky, are pretty solid. Lowes, forget the name, are complete trash.

With regards to the jack, I would check out www.northerntool.com. They have cheap stuff price wise, and it is more than durable enough for the average backyard mechanic. I''d also highly recommend their pneumatic stuff as well.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.""  R.I.P George.

Tomahawk

I just need shtein that doesn't break. So far, Craftsman hand tools fit the bill, and they got the lifetime warranty going on. I would be pissed about the lack of quality for their other lines of tools, specifically the jack I bought, but it's my fault for not doing research and for believing a jack's a jack.

A couple different friends have this awesome jack, but apparently it's been discontinued:

http://www.hugediscountmall.com/Michelin-Hydraulic-Floor-Jack-p-568.html

So instead of continuing my search for a nonexistent Michelin jack, I'm buying this one with many thanks to PPinDC for the link

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200345429_200345429

SD_Eagle5

Quote from: PPinDC on March 23, 2009, 09:19:41 PM
Trust me on this, Snap-on and MAC tools are only worth the money if you have them in your hands everyday. They put of a lot of stock into ergonomics, etc., which make them easier on your hands over a 40+ hour week. They are also so bulletproof because you as a mechanic or body man make your living with them, they've gotta work. Because of that, you get an unbelievable tool, at a premium price. I have the set I bought on my first job, over a decade later, never a problem.

Since I don't do that work for a living anymore, it makes no sense for me to pay the extra bucks. I just don't use them enough (and I use them more than the average Joe) for it to make any sense. In addition to Sears, the Home Depot's brand, Husky, are pretty solid. Lowes, forget the name, are complete trash.

With regards to the jack, I would check out www.northerntool.com. They have cheap stuff price wise, and it is more than durable enough for the average backyard mechanic. I''d also highly recommend their pneumatic stuff as well.

This is good advice. I bought a used snap-on box on wheels from one of the mechanics for $200 then paid my tools off $20 a week. 

Tomahawk

Should I make my car look like this? (The obvious answer is obviously no)

rjs246

Everything but the paintjob and the dangly rearview crown...
Is rjs gonna have to choke a bitch?

Let them eat bootstraps.

General_Failure

Needs a disco ball instead of a crown.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: Diomedes on November 26, 2008, 10:12:41 PM

Quote from: Diomedes on November 27, 2008, 11:25:17 AM
don't know or care..I like the picture for ironic purposes

yeah, this is old but i'm slowly getting caught up around here and that was some funny ish. 

Diomedes

that pic is just fargin funny, I love it