Simoneau Hoping For Another Start

Started by Rome, September 05, 2005, 09:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rome

QuotePosted on Mon, Sep. 05, 2005

Simoneau is hoping for another start

The linebacker, who will likely begin the season on special teams, will try to prove himself and earn back his starting job.

By Shannon Ryan

Inquirer Staff Writer

A popular Eagles linebacker spent the first part of last season toiling on special teams until his impressive play earned him a starting job on defense.

That was Jeremiah Trotter's well-told story.

Mark Simoneau would like to make the sequel this year.

Simoneau, in his sixth year as a pro, likely will begin the season on Sept. 12 in Atlanta in nickel situations and on special teams. He began last season as a starting middle linebacker.

He said he is not looking at the move as a demotion.

"I would like to be the guy playing every day on defense," Simoneau said. "The situation [at linebacker now] didn't work like that. I'm going to be a professional about it. I'm just looking to help out on the field any way that I can."

The Eagles had said that the preseason would be a battle between Simoneau and Keith Adams, but all indications are that Adams has locked up the weakside job.

Simoneau started seven of the first eight games last season at middle linebacker, where he registered 39 tackles.

Trotter took over his spot against Dallas on Nov. 15, leading to a Pro Bowl season with 80 tackles. Simoneau was moved to weakside linebacker for the remainder of the season.

The way Trotter proved himself is an inspiration to Simoneau.

"It just goes to show you: You have to keep working hard," he said. "It's a matter of working as hard as you can."

Simoneau missed the first two playoff games last season with the first significant injury of his career, an ankle strain he suffered in the regular-season finale against the Cincinnati Bengals. Adams built upon his growing reputation in the playoffs with 13 tackles as Simoneau's replacement.

Although Simoneau returned to play in the Super Bowl, defensive coordinator Jim Johnson kept Adams as the starter for the game.

"Last year, I got hurt and Keith came in, helping them make a run to the Super Bowl," said Simoneau, who had two tackles in the loss to the Patriots. "Sometimes you don't want to mess with chemistry."

Simoneau said switching positions midway through the season left him without much time to study his new role. His production from 2003 to 2004 declined dramatically: from 149 tackles to 60.

Simoneau had his ankle surgically repaired in the off-season and he said he feels fine now. Training camp has allowed him time to focus, he said.

"I'm continuing to learn the [weakside] position," he said. "It helps. During the season, it was all game preparation. You have to make certain adjustments."

The Eagles look at the linebacker corps as having more depth this year.

With Simoneau as the fourth linebacker, Adams, Trotter and Dhani Jones are the starters. Mike Labinjo, Jason Short and rookie Matt McCoy are reserves.

Simoneau said he has not lost sight of returning as a starter.

"That's my motivation," he said. "That's my ultimate goal. I want to master the position."

:P

Diomedes

QuoteThat's my ultimate goal. I want to master the position.

That's great.  He's been saying that for a long time, though.  And every game, I see him tied up by blockers, out of position in coverage, or simply overpowered by RBs.  Maybe he should try to master being a good back-up, volunteer for a pay cut, and just focus on being a decent Eagle.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Cram it, Sim.

Be happy you still have a job. If Richmond was healthy, Sim might be job hunting. Be happy taking Ike's role in the nickle and do a good job at it.

pinoyboy2pt0

Man, I have see Simoneau get stiff armed to the ground, shoot gaps too early, instead of playing on the other side of the LOS he gets held up by the trash, can't shed a block, can't tackle...

Phreak is right...if Greg is healthy, his job is gone.  Labinjo looks great.  Short looks good (and a wackjob...which is good).  Simoneau will be fighting for a roster spot next year.
Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No pro bowl WR's.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Retarded special teams.  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  "I've got to do a better job."  Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  Running game shines for 3 plays. Pass. Pass. Pass. PUNT.  No adjustments anywhere.  Pass.  Pass. Pass. PUNT.  (repeat)

General_Failure

Sim should have been fighting for a roster spot this year! On some other farging team!

The man. The myth. The legend.

Sgt PSN

Quote from: General_Failure on September 05, 2005, 06:40:59 PM
Sim should have been fighting for a roster spot this year! On some other farging team!

:-D   Nice. 

Philly_Crew

Wasn't he the Will in Atlanta?  Haven't you learned it by now?  I thought one of the reasons the Eagles kept him was for depth at MLB and OLB.