Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy [CTE]

Started by Diomedes, May 02, 2011, 09:57:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhillyPhreak54

Quote from: General_Failure on September 01, 2013, 03:47:38 PM
Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 01, 2013, 03:09:18 PM
Pam Oliver had a "severe concussion" when she was hit in the head by the ball thrown by the Colts QB a couple weeks ago.

Maybe she should sue too?

Your butthurt over this is starting to rival IGY with McNabb and SD with women and solar panels.

I am far from butthurt over this.

I agreed the NFL needed to take care of its older players better. I have been saying that for years since I saw the story on John Mackey and how he received basically nothing while the league continued to amass billions.

I also believe that the players should know the risks and they acknowledge those by playing. You have guys like Pat White who threw their names into this class action deal...and then withdrew his name so he could sign a contract to play!

Rome

Monolithic corporate monsters taking advantage of the rank & file?

Inconceivable!

reese125

i bet the nfl is super psyched for the movie united states of football by the sean pamphilon to make its way around.

he's the same dude that exposed the bounty gate scandal

SunMo

i am disappointed by this settlement because it really doesn't accomplish anything in the long term.  i get why the players settled, many of them needed the money immediately for medical costs and what not, but this doesn't expose the nfl whatsoever regarding decades of biased research and hiding the link between concussions and CTE.

i really want to fight anyone who says, "they knew the risks when they signed up"  bull farging shtein they did.  it wasn't until the last 10 years or so that people really started putting together the connection between concussions and CTE.  but yeah, some dumb jock in high school is supposed to know that he can have dementia from too many concussions. 
I'm the Anti-Christ. You got me in a vendetta kind of mood.

PhillyPhreak54

Ok so what is your take on the people included in this suit who have played within the last ten years? They knew. I cite Pat White as an example again - he was in on it and then withdrew himself so he could go back to playing.

There are many many many legit claims out there. The ones looking to make a money grab sully the names and efforts of the ones who really need the help.

And this could have been avoided, at least on this scale, had the NFL taken better care of its players from the jump. Rather than casting aside the people who have helped them print money they should have provided much better pensions and post-playing healthcare.

Look at that Bengals LB from the 80s (his name escapes me at the moment) who is fighting to save his leg? He gets shtein from the NFL has has to jump through a thousand hoops just to try to get benefits.

Guys like him are the ones the NFL has failed. The many guys like Kevin Turner etc....they deserve this a thousand percent

The NFL has knowingly hid facts for years and should be held responsible. I just hate the recent players who are trying to take advantage. THEY knew/know the risks.

QB Eagles

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 02, 2013, 11:57:57 AMAnd this could have been avoided, at least on this scale, had the NFL taken better care of its players from the jump. Rather than casting aside the people who have helped them print money they should have provided much better pensions and post-playing healthcare.

Look at that Bengals LB from the 80s (his name escapes me at the moment) who is fighting to save his leg? He gets shtein from the NFL has has to jump through a thousand hoops just to try to get benefits.

It's on the NFLPA too. They negotiate with the NFL on behalf of the players.  All the NFL cares about is the final dollar figure going to the players. They don't care if it goes out in the form of health insurance or a 401k or whatever. If former players aren't getting the kind of benefits they need, their union is letting them down and asking for the wrong mix of salary and benefits.

PhillyPhreak54

Agreed. I saw one person, cannot recall who, mention how quiet the NFLPA has been since the settlement has been announced.

Since Gene Washington died I think their labor deals have been less than stellar with DeMaurice Smith at the helm. shtein as soon as they signed the last one word began leaking out that it was a bad deal.

SunMo

Quote from: PhillyPhreak54 on September 02, 2013, 11:57:57 AM

There are many many many legit claims out there. The ones looking to make a money grab sully the names and efforts of the ones who really need the help.

to me, for every 1 BS claim there are 10 legit ones.  in every class action lawsuit that has BS plaintiffs, but that doesn't really bother me. 

Rome

ice grillin you

citing pat white is like saying all public assistance programs should be abolished because of that one "welfare queen" or looking for that guy who committed voter fraud so we can enact all kinds of ridiculous voter restrictions
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

PhillyPhreak54

Not really - he just happens to be the face of the guys looking to milk it. There's 4500+ names in there and unless you have a list Pat White is the name that's out there that was looking to game the system.

Tomahawk

Motherfarger has an iPhone but still uses a Link card at the god damn grocery store!

ice grillin you

i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

General_Failure

We've Seen Frontline's Highly Anticipated Concussion Documentary, And It Is Very Bad For The NFL

QuoteThe other nagging unanswerable is what this film would've looked like had the NFL actually cooperated with its production in some way. As it stands, League of Denial depicts Paul Tagliabue's (and then Roger Goodell's) NFL as a business entity that will do anything within its means to save the brand from public relations harm, bullying scientists and flat-out denying factual data in a way that would make D.C. politicians envious. The physician who first examined Mike Webster's brain has been systemically impugned and questioned over the years in despicable fashion.

The man. The myth. The legend.

SunMo

i watched about an hour of the documentary last night, it makes the nfl look bad bad bad

the lengths that the league and their medical "experts" go to just to destroy the reputation of objective medical people doing this research is sickening.

you can watch it online http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/league-of-denial/