DeSean Jackson, Philadelphia Eagle (PIMP)

Started by PhillyPhreak54, April 26, 2008, 07:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ice grillin you

only the eagles could pull off a TO and a pimp in a ten year period....does any other team even have one situation in thier history like either of those?
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

ice grillin you

mike williams just got traded for a draft pick

hbionic

I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

MDS

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 04, 2014, 10:35:10 PM
only the eagles could pull off a TO and a pimp in a ten year period....does any other team even have one situation in thier history like either of those?

the giants have like 100 super bowls
Zero hour, Michael. It's the end of the line. I'm the firstborn. I'm sick of playing second fiddle. I'm always third in line for everything. I'm tired of finishing fourth. Being the fifth wheel. There are six things I'm mad about, and I'm taking over.

QB Eagles

What team was willing to pay Jackson $10.7M this season? Jackson was on the trading block for weeks. McLane said multiple NFL sources told him there were zero trade offers.

Seabiscuit36

Quote from: ice grillin you on April 04, 2014, 11:57:41 PM
mike williams just got traded for a draft pick
And the knife is still in his leg
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

General_Failure

Quote from: QB Eagles on April 05, 2014, 07:38:35 AM
What team was willing to pay Jackson $10.7M this season? Jackson was on the trading block for weeks. McLane said multiple NFL sources told him there were zero trade offers.

Then maybe you just keep him and, oh I don't know, suspend him for not drinking his smoothies instead of letting him go wherever the farg he wants.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Other teams didn't want to pay Jackson $10.7M to play. The Eagles definitely didn't want to pay him $10.7M to not play. And bottom line, they didn't want him on the team.

The reason(s) they didn't want him on the team haven't really been disclosed. I wasn't in that locker room so I don't know if it's an overreaction by the Eagles or whether he really was so much of a disruptive pain in the ass that it was the right decision. People have all kinds of opinions pro and con about that, mostly based on total speculation and emotion.

People should blame the Eagles for making the decision if they feel that keeping him would have been better long-term for the team. But once the Eagles decided to get rid of him, you can't blame them for cutting him instead of trading him. They tried to trade him. No one wanted a trade.

General_Failure

Well they definitely had to dump him now, when there's no chance he can be a disruption and no other team will lose a receiver to injury and look for a replacement. There was no reason to at least hold on to him until the draft in case a team decides they want a 1300 yard receiver instead of a 5'9 linebacker from East Carolina.

The man. The myth. The legend.

QB Eagles

Think of the reality of that. First of all, the team wouldn't keep him through OTAs, because if he got hurt there, they'd be stuck paying him. So they'd have to move him at the draft. A team would have to decide that, because they missed out on the $1M rookies they were targeting, now they want to pay the $10.7M salary of a player they already passed on. This would have to be a team as stingy as the Eagles that actually has that kind of monetary flexibility that late in the NFL year. And they'd also know the Eagles are desperate and near cutting him (especially after seeing them draft Kelvin Benjamin), so they'd offer what, a 6th or 7th? More likely than that, the Eagles just would have cut him after the draft, which would have been an even bigger farg you to DJax than what the team did, seeing as how it's unlikely he would have been able to pull a $7M contract that late.

You still might see no downside for the Eagles there, but it would be an extra month of dealing with the Jackson issue both in the media and behind the scenes.

Basically I see the team's handling of the situation like this:
Handling the media, including timing the cut with the gang story: terrible
The actual decision to part with DJax: Super disappointing as a fan but I have no way of knowing if it was justified. I can easily imagine either scenario. I hope more comes out about it but we may be waiting a while.
The decision to cut instead of trade: Not even convinced that this was a real decision, it was driven by the market for DJax.

ice grillin you

you can def argue over whether they should have gotten rid of him at all...I think it was stupid but if you think he was the devil himself then I guess it was a good move...I personally don't think he was even in the top 100 worst people in the history of the league....hes not even the worst eagle ever...but I guess we will find out next year if he brings the washington franchise down

and it was the eagles who murdered his value....there was a shtein ton of money to spend around the league this year 10 mil for that kind of player was nothing...the reason the 10 million dollars was an issue is because howie waited until after free agency started to move him....hurting both his value and the eagles roster....they could have used pimps money to make their own team better if they had moved him earlier...and don't tell me they secretly tried to do that and not one team wanted him for a 7th round pick

the way the eagles have handled this whole thing is nothing short of complete incompetency

Eagles_Legendz

I don't care about the value in a 5th/6th/7th round pick versus cutting him.  What I do care about is getting that in return would have allowed the Eagles to dictate his destination, not letting him sign with the taterskins.

Diomedes

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

PhillyPhreak54

Stephen A is such a schmuck. He talked and pontificated more than the guy he was interviewing.

QB Eagles

Quote from: Diomedes on April 05, 2014, 01:08:00 PM
http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2014/04/five_things_desean_jackson_and_stephen_a_smith_got_wrong.html

QuoteNJ.com uncovered Jackson's ties to alleged gang members through its own reporting. The Eagles played no part in NJ.com's investigation. When asked about Jackson's alleged gang ties, team officials said they were unaware of the ties and would not comment.

The NFLPA says it will look into whether the Eagles engaged in a smear campaign. When a union official contacted NJ.com sports director Kevin Manahan, the official was told the Eagles provided no information on Jackson's alleged gang ties.

More evidence that the gang stuff was just distracting horseshtein, and not truly related to his release. Still bad for the Eagles to time his release with the story.