Computer Geeks Unite! And farging help me!

Started by Sgt PSN, November 03, 2006, 08:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sgt PSN

I bought an iMac last night.  A lot to learn but it's awesome so far.  Been wanting to do this for a couple of years now and I'm glad I finally pulled the trigger.  I think I'm going to go back and grab the time capsule and Apple TV later this week. 

iMac, iPad and iPhone.  I'm officially an iDouche.  Peace out Windows.  Well, except 7:30 am - 4:30 pm M-F when I'm at work.  But when I'm unemployed in August, Windows can kma.  Until I start working again. 

Any tricks or suggestions that you other iDouches can teach me to ease the learning process would be greatly appreciated. 

General_Failure

All you really need to do is shove a stick as far up your ass as you can, and the rest should work itself out.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Rome

There's an online tutorial for Macs.  When I bought mine I read it and it was really helpful.

http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/

PoopyfaceMcGee

Quote from: General_Failure on May 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM
All you really need to do is shove a stick as far up your ass as you can, and the rest should work itself out.

Crikey! I've really pissed it off naw!

Sgt PSN

Quote from: General_Failure on May 12, 2012, 03:09:40 PM

Great suggestion if you want to bust a nut. Didn't work so well for making me Mac smart though. 

ice grillin you

is there a household item (preferably soap and water) that you can clean a laptop screen with or do i need to go to best buy and purchase some infomercial computer cleanser to do it
i can take a phrase thats rarely heard...flip it....now its a daily word

igy gettin it done like warrick

im the board pharmacist....always one step above yous

Sgt PSN

Distlled water is good. No soap  Don't use anything with alcohol or ammonia.

Put it in a spray bottle and spray lightly onto a soft, lint free cloth (cut up cotton t shirt is fine or a microfiber cloth).

Wipe it down.

PS, aim away from the screen next time you're looking at the Kate Upton thread, mkay?

ice grillin you

Diomedes

Don't use regular water.  Distilled water is a must.  You don't want any chlorine or minerals in the water.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

ice grillin you

can someone tell me how to create a icon on the bar at the bottom of my screen that will take me directly to my desktop

Sgt PSN

ice grillin you

at work i have one but not on my laptop at home

General_Failure

Hitting the Windows key and M should do it.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Zanshin

Okay, wifi signal question.

I've had Fios for about 5 years, which I like. That said, the Fios router and modem are integrated, so I don't have any real flexibility in where I put it. It's attached to the wall in the basement with the rest of the Fios stuff. When I had it installed, I hooked up my old router to the new router and used that to extend the range. That second router couldn't be configured as a range extender, so it just broadcast its own signal. It's an old Linksys Wireless G router with two phone ports that I used when I tried Vonage.

I had to get a new laptop the other day, so while I was doing network crap, I had the great idea to apply some better security to the Linksys router. But I had a REALLY hard time accessing the admin screen. Finally I got to it, but the router stopped working consistently. I tried a bunch of stuff to get it going again, but I could only get it working for a little at a time. It broadcasts a signal, but it isn't holding an internet connection. So, I reset it entirely...but I'm having the same problem.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what to do. I'm not sure whether the router is broken, or whether it's just a stupid set-up. But, my Fios router doesn't cover the whole house. What's the best , most foolproof, cost-effective  way to extend the range of the Fios router at this point to cover the house?

Thanks.

reese125

Have you tried changing your signal detect mode from auto to "g"mode?

Also there are plenty of solid range boosters on the market. Matter of fact Linksys has the 802.11 G range expander that supposedly works well.