Home Improvements

Started by Wingspan, October 29, 2007, 02:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

General_Failure

That explains why he needed such a big shovel for yard work.

The man. The myth. The legend.

Diomedes

Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on July 30, 2013, 11:26:31 AMWe really like the James Hardie Fiber cement cedar mill boards, DIO you have any experience with that material or the certainteed fiber cement stuff?

I have installed a few different versions of cement fiber siding, honestly can't recall them all.  Definitely a few Hardie products, perhaps a Certainteed as well.  They're just different brands of essentially the same stuff.

And it's great stuff.  If I were to side a house I wouldn't consider anything else.  If I couldn't afford it, I'd wait to do the job until I could afford it.  It's perfectly uniform, lays flat, doesn't bow (assuming you fasten according to manufacturer spec), and it's very stable.  Not a lot of movement in varying temps.  I've also used similar products in sheet good for soffits and the ceiling/underside of porch roofs.  It's very hard on tools.  You have to have the right gear.

There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

I'm assuming that stuff is asbestos free?
I said watch the game and you will see my spirit manifest.-ILLEAGLE 02/04/05

Diomedes

Nope, chock full of it.  It's actually 80% asbestos, 18 percent cement and.....OF COURSE IT'S ASBESTOS FREE YOU fargING WEIRDO.
There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists." - Yosemite Park Ranger

hbionic

You initially didn't say 'Asbestos-Free Cement'. Thanks for clearing it up.

Diomedes

Tomahawk

Quote from: Diomedes on July 30, 2013, 05:30:23 PM
Quote from: Seabiscuit36 on July 30, 2013, 11:26:31 AMWe really like the James Hardie Fiber cement cedar mill boards, DIO you have any experience with that material or the certainteed fiber cement stuff?

I have installed a few different versions of cement fiber siding, honestly can't recall them all.  Definitely a few Hardie products, perhaps a Certainteed as well.  They're just different brands of essentially the same stuff.

And it's great stuff.  If I were to side a house I wouldn't consider anything else.  If I couldn't afford it, I'd wait to do the job until I could afford it.  It's perfectly uniform, lays flat, doesn't bow (assuming you fasten according to manufacturer spec), and it's very stable.  Not a lot of movement in varying temps.  I've also used similar products in sheet good for soffits and the ceiling/underside of porch roofs.  It's very hard on tools.  You have to have the right gear.

My house and garage need to be re-sided. Other than a circular saw or table saw, what gear do I really need? Or do you mean I need to use the right blades? Which blades are the most appropriate?

Sgt PSN

Diomedes

They sell circular saw/table saw blades for cement board.  Do not attempt to cut the stuff with a standard blade, you'll burn it up in two or three cuts.  I would also suggest you don't use your "good" circular saw, as the dust from the hardie plank gets into everything and shortens the motor life.  I keep a "trash" circular saw for demo/fiber board/masonry and another for wood only.  Best tool for the stuff though are the electric shears made for the purpose.  I haven't invested in them yet, but will do some time.

If you don't have a coil nailer, borrow or rent one.  Can't just hand nail through the stuff...you'll have to drill pilot holes and then drive the nail unless you use a coil nailer.

Tomahawk

Put a hammer in one hand and nails in the other and my arms become motherfarging nail guns

Seabiscuit36

Pulled the trigger on the Hardie plank siding Dio  Contractor is set to start this upcoming Monday.  Cant wait to see the difference in T111 to Cement Board.  Also doing all new trim using Azek and a 12 inch band board at the bottom of the siding to create some definition. 

On a side note just to piss SD off, had Astrum Solar out today to do a survey of our roof.  Looks like we're ideal candidates for solar, but I want to see #'s about how much they anticipate that we'll produce. 
"For all the civic slurs, for all the unsavory things said of the Philadelphia fans, also say this: They could teach loyalty to a dog. Their capacity for pain is without limit." -Bill Lyons

hbionic

One thing on Solar...and I heard this from a guy working at Southern California Edison (big energy company feeding us our energy)....you may want to look into leasing the panels vs buying them outright. It may be cheaper and the technology continues to improve as the years go by.

It made sense, I think they do like 10-year leases or something...so...make sure you get a quote regarding a lease as well.

smeags

did roofing and siding for 7 plus years but never worked with cement board siding. at least not putting it up. took plenty of it down and of course beings it was asbestos it was always an adventure. boss got caught putting that stuff in a regular dumpster once.

yeah that didnt go well.
If guns kill people then spoons made Rosie O'Donnel a fatass.

Quote from: ice grillin you on March 16, 2008, 03:38:24 PM
phillies will be under 500 this year...book it

Rome

I took my asbestos shingles down at night on my first place.  I only had it on one side of my house but I took it down and had it hauled away the next day.  Had Hardiboard up in two days with no problem.  This was probably 15 years ago, though.  Now they'd call the nuclear emergency search team to find out what I did with the shtein.

PhillyPhreak54

smeags worked for Barone Sanitation and Tony Soprano?!